Esteemed Contributor

Re: PSA: Hip Hip Hooray For Bidets (Round 2)

What kind of installation is involved?  Do you need a plumber to come in ?  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

LOL Clearly, TP is winning, not just in the stores, but on this thread.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

According to Google, it takes between 12 and 37 gallons to produce a SINGLE roll of toilet paper.  THIRTY SEVEN GALLONS TO MAKE ONE ROLL OF TOILET PAPER!

No matter how you look at it, the world would be saving trillions of gallons of water using a bidet seat over t-paper.  So if that's not enough to convince people, I don't know what is.

@monicakm Thank you for all the info you've given.  It's something I am considering.  We just built our retirement home and plan on keeping our primary also.  Our retirement home had all the bells and whistles (I thought!).

Anyways, one thing is, I put a layer of tp in the toilet before I *go* as I don't want anything splashing up.  (TMI?  NO--not at all!)  LOL  Cause that is just as gross....!!!

So my question to you is, is the water coming out of the bidet with enough force that anything splashes down may spray up again?

I'm afraid I would still need toilet paper, no matter what, just not as much as....???

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm 

Bidets can be super helpful for older folks and anyone that has certain moblity issues or if you've just had, like my mother, shoulder surgery or hand surgery.  I'm 61 and have had a bad back since I injured it at16 and now arthitis in my back.  I have MS that can cause issues with cleaning. Right

now both of my hands are numb and painful (and my neuro appt was just cancelled due to COVID-19).  Not having at least one bidet in the house is not an option!

Humm, I'm trying to figure out how to address your concern.  The water doesn't "splash down".  If you'll watch videos on YT, you can see demonstration on how they work.  The water splashes on one's nether regions and falls down.  All bidets have volume/force control. My husband's non-electric bidet can be dialed up to a very forceful stream.  Mine, not as much.  There are also front washes and rear washes.  They're anywhere from customizable to very customizable.  There is a lot to consider "down there" and one setting isn't for everyone.

You could/would still need t-paper but much MUCH less.  And remember the amt of water it takes to make t-paper (or any kind of paper).  If you know of a way we can discuss this privately, I've got more I'd like to enlighten you on or answer anymore questions but I'm afraid of crossing the line on this particular forum.  

Frequent Contributor

For those of you who might like to try this idea without the commitment of buying one, just use a plastic squeeze bottle (like you might buy at a craft store) and fill it with warm water.  I keep a filled one near the toilet at all times.  Works like a charm and you control where you are squirting the water!