Regular Contributor

PLEASE REMOVE THE LANOLIN FROM YOUR PRODUCTS!

I am writing this in the hope that Maureen will read this! Maureen, PLEASE remove the lanolin from your products, especially the blush! PLEASE!!! I LOVE Tarte blush and the colors are beautiful, BUT it has lanolin in it and I can't put lanolin on my skin, it makes me break out in huge cystic acne! I have been blessed with clear skin, even as a teenager, but I made the mistake one time about putting Tarte blush on and it took me literally 2 months to get rid of the cystic acne in the blush area! I finally went to the Dermatologist and he feels that's what caused it and he had to inject the cysts with a steroid and antibiotic mixture. If you took the lanolin out, I would but every color!!! Thanks!!!

Super Contributor

Re: PLEASE REMOVE THE LANOLIN FROM YOUR PRODUCTS!

Uhhh... buy products w/o lanolin? Do you really expect a brand to change their formulas just to please you?

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/8/2014 ennui1 said:

Uhhh... buy products w/o lanolin? Do you really expect a brand to change their formulas just to please you?

From livestrong.com:

""Lanolin or wool alcohols are derived from sheep. Lanolin is the fourth most common allergen in personal care products""

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

It's a mixed bag.

From the Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary:

<h1>lanolin</h1>
Rating:
Good
Categories:
Emollients , Skin-Identical/Repairing Ingredients
Emollient, very thick substance derived from the sebaceous glands of sheep. Lanolin has long been burdened with a reputation for being an allergen or sensitizing agent, which has always been a disappointment to formulators because lanolin is such an effective moisturizing agent for skin. A study in the British Journal of Dermatology (July 2001, pages 28–31) may change all that. The study concluded “that lanolin sensitization has remained at a relatively low and constant rate even in a high-risk population (i.e., patients with recent or active eczema).” Based on a review of 24,449 patients who were tested with varying forms of lanolin, it turned out that “The mean annual rate of sensitivity to this allergen was 1.7%”—and it was lower than that for a 50% concentration of lanolin. It looks like it’s time to restore lanolin’s good reputation. That’s a very good thing for someone with dry skin, though it can be a problem for someone with oily skin, because lanolin closely resembles the oil from human oil glands.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

Lanolin is natural and organic, from sheep. It is the best moisturizer there is. I am happy to see it listed instead of some strange chemical.

Honored Contributor

oh great so her products contained animal derived ingredients (from killed animals)? I did not know that! I wish I knew that. It doesn't matter now since she sold to a company that tests on animals so I won't be buying any of her products in the future but I wish I had known or paid more attention to this. Smiley Sad

ETA: I just saw that this is derived from the wool that is shorn, not from killing the animal. Whew!

Super Contributor

On 4/8/2014 ennui1 said:

No kidding huh? If I find a product that breaks me out, I simply change products!