Honored Contributor

PHAs vs AHA and BHA

[ Edited ]

So I guess PHAs are somewhat new on the skincare scene?  AHAs and BHAs I can't use but PHAs have a larger molecules which means it absorbs into the skin at a slower rate and therefore cause less irritation if you're inclined to have problems with these products.

Do any of you have first hand knowledge of PHAs?  

Here is a webpage with good explanations on how PHAs work.

Removed link to another retailer

Esteemed Contributor

PHAs are new to me, @monicakm . Sounds like good news for those with sensitive skin who need to nudge cell turnover a bit.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm  @Harpa  If you google PHAs, there's a lot of info by derms on the usage and benefits. I stay with AHAs and BHAs. I like to really exfoliate and have used products that exfoliate on a deeper level for quite a while and am not bothered by them. PHAs are more gentle for sensitive skin becuase they are humectants...add hydration to the skin and moisturinzing. 

PHAs  have been around for a few years, but most women want deeper exfoliation if tolerated.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I can't handle the AHAs and BHAs.  Tried years and years ago and then more recently with TO's AHA/BHA product.  So hopefully the PHA will work for me.  Humm, TO doesn't have a PHA but the Inkey List does in the form of a toner.  $10/100ml

Honored Contributor

OMW!  I just checked Amazon's price for the Inkey List PHA.  It's $30 for the same amt Smiley Surprised YIKES!!!  Whew, it's $11 at Sephora...but it's out of stock.  It's even out of stock on the Inkey List website.  

Honored Contributor

My past skincare routine use to include high concentrations of glycolic acid peel products and I had no problems with them. But as the years go by my skin has become sensitive and glycolic acid on my face has become intolerable.

I have gone back to the old-school cotton muslin cloths (single layer type) to do my facial exfoliation. Muslin is gentle enough to use around my eyes and I never get irritated from using muslin plus there's nothing for my skin to become sensitive to with them. It's a simple solution to an otherwise complex problem.

Honored Contributor

Before I became more educated on the subject, I used to use physical exfoliation.  This contains tiny and most often irregular shaped particles that scratch the skin to remove the dead skin cells.  Think apricot type scrubs.  Most of us (if not all), including myself, would enjoy the scratching and tend to rub too hard.  We were tearing our facial skin without realizing it.  Rough washcloths and those spinning brushes also can make microscopic tears.  I've learned what works best for me is using my (clean) hands to wash and use chemical exfoliates to peel away dead skin for a smoother more even toned look.  Not to sound like a broken record, but thank you James Welsh and Doctorly for opening my eyes concerning physical exfoliation.  It's sure been a blessing to my skin Smiley Happy