Super Contributor
On 8/19/2014 Sweet Susie said:
On 8/19/2014 myshell624 said:

Sweet Susie - thanks so much for suggesting I try the ph test strips. I got them today and tested everything I could. I wasn't happy that the ph of the vitamin c serum I've been using tested a 7 when the company told me 5.4. I tested the bottle I've been using and an unopened one that I got last month. Both tested a 7.

All of the Isomers and Paula's Choice I tested were in the correct range of what they should be:-) Kudos to them both!

Glad you are enjoying testing all your lotions and potions with the pH strips! It's kind of addicting.

I'm going to store my Vit. C serum in the refrigerator from now on to see if that will help prevent the serum from oxidizing before I use it all up. I've also learned not to buy back-ups of Vit. C serum. And, I'm going to be less frugal with the serum and use it with wild abandon, lol, so that I use it up in a timely fashion.

Yes!!! It's totally addicting. LOL.

I agree. Our Vitamin c serums are the ones we really need to watch. I'm not buying any more backups either. I'll reorder when I'm ready to start using a new one.

Super Contributor

Sweet Susie - thanks so much for suggesting I try the ph test strips. I got them today and tested everything I could. I wasn't happy that the ph of the vitamin c serum I've been using tested a 7 when the company told me 5.4. I tested the bottle I've been using and an unopened one that I got last month. Both tested a 7.

All of the Isomers and Paula's Choice I tested were in the correct range of what they should be:-) Kudos to them both!

Good to know about PC and Isomers! And all I can say about ASDM is harumph! Well, you'll be moving on (and hopefully staying) with Nanci's and that is supposed to be PERFECT. :-)

I think when I went on my pH testing rampage in the 70's just about everything was way too alkaline. All my products were department store brands and I'm not sure if even today many of them would be conscientious about pH in their products.

If you're going to eliminate any of your products that aren't in the optimal pH range, I wonder if maybe you'll no longer have "sensitive skin"?

Super Contributor
On 8/20/2014 MarenSeattle said:

Good to know about PC and Isomers! And all I can say about ASDM is harumph! Well, you'll be moving on (and hopefully staying) with Nanci's and that is supposed to be PERFECT. :-)

I think when I went on my pH testing rampage in the 70's just about everything was way too alkaline. All my products were department store brands and I'm not sure if even today many of them would be conscientious about pH in their products.

If you're going to eliminate any of your products that aren't in the optimal pH range, I wonder if maybe you'll no longer have "sensitive skin"?

I am considering stopping my BHA and going back to either a Retinol or the .05% Retin-a. My thinking is that I don't know if it's best to use more than one product out of our normal ph range even if it's exfoliating. You know I'm not giving up using a vitamin c serum:-) I'm going to check the Vivo Per Lei in a little while. I could use it once or twice a week for exfoliation. You know when I was using Isomers vitamin c stem serum in the AM and Retiniacin in the PM, my skin did really well. Manuela doesn't think you should use chemical exfoliaters with retinol. She might be on to something for those of us with sensitive skin.

My PC Resist Retinol Serum tested a 5 and my Retin-a gel tested a 6. I think those are both acceptable. I may try using my PC at night and then consider if I want to continue with Retinol or move on to Retin-a.

Super Contributor
On 8/20/2014 myshell624 said:

I am considering stopping my BHA and going back to either a Retinol or the .05% Retin-a. My thinking is that I don't know if it's best to use more than one product out of our normal ph range even if it's exfoliating. You know I'm not giving up using a vitamin c serum:-) I'm going to check the Vivo Per Lei in a little while. I could use it once or twice a week for exfoliation. You know when I was using Isomers vitamin c stem serum in the AM and Retiniacin in the PM, my skin did really well. Manuela doesn't think you should use chemical exfoliaters with retinol. She might be on to something for those of us with sensitive skin.

My PC Resist Retinol Serum tested a 5 and my Retin-a gel tested a 6. I think those are both acceptable. I may try using my PC at night and then consider if I want to continue with Retinol or move on to Retin-a.

Like I wondered in my email, if you get your skin into pH heaven territory, maybe you won't HAVE "sensitive skin" anymore! It's a stretch, I know.

I'll check out Manuela's retinol product -- and you know you saw results and suffered no ill effects from it, so that might be your best bet right now. Don't forget about that stuff from HSN I mentioned. That was absolutely lovey, IMO.

Super Contributor
On 8/20/2014 myshell624 said:

Like I wondered in my email, if you get your skin into pH heaven territory, maybe you won't HAVE "sensitive skin" anymore! It's a stretch, I know.

I'll check out Manuela's retinol product -- and you know you saw results and suffered no ill effects from it, so that might be your best bet right now. Don't forget about that stuff from HSN I mentioned. That was absolutely lovey, IMO.

The good thing about Isomers Retiniacin is it contains retinol and niacinamide which can help our discoloration from coming back too. I'm going to start using the rest of my PC retinol serum and may go back to the Retiniacin or try the one you liked from HSN. I did skip my BHA this morning and used my toner immediately after cleansing. My skin feels really comfortable and soft.