Honored Contributor

Re: PETER THOMAS ROTH TSV- buyer beware!!

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I only purchase skincare from a reputable skincare company or physician or medical based company like Skinsceuticals. 

PTR has said he started out as a jeweler w/ his family. How does that put him, in any way, in the same category as Dr. Gross products, Dr. Perricone or Dr. Denese? 

i personally use and love PTR products and perricone products. they both work well for me. most beauty and skincare purchases are a matter of personal choice. what works for some may not work for others. i would not doubt that PTR has a very good, reputable TEAM that does research and creates products that SOME of us have had success with.

i actually own a number of his jewelry pieces and they are unique and beautiful.....some purchased from qvc, some from his website.

Peter Thomas Roth’s passion for skin care is derived from his quest to find effective products to treat his own personal skin care concerns. Initially his primary issue was acne and as time went on anti-aging issues as well. His interests eventually grew into a desire to find the best tools to combat acne, the many signs of aging, as well as protecting the skin from sun damage. His mission: to combine effective and potent ingredients with advanced technology.

As the first generation child of Hungarian parents, skin care is an inherent part of Peter's heritage. During the 1800s and early 1900s, Peter's family owned and operated two spa resorts in Hungary. When Peter launched his company in 1993, he started with the basic soothing and healing philosophies of the many muds and minerals found in Hungarian thermal springs. While still giving credit to old-school remedies, Peter now uses the latest innovative and effective ingredients to improve on the formulas blending old Hungarian philosophies with 21st century skin care technologies to create effective skin care that does what it promises to do!

@sunshine45     @Shanus

Thanks for posting that, Sunshine!    Obviously, many don't know Peter's background.

As for Peter's "category", Shanus, I don't know what his degrees are in, but we also don't know what research he's done over the years.

Plus, someone with less knowledge but lots of $$$ can put together a superior development team that will easily rival any other skin care company out there.    IMO, He doesn't need an MD to run a company that manufactures excellent products.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I checked the ingredient decks and they are the SAME at QVC and Sephora.  However, I also checked the ingredient deck from when I bought one of his kits a few years back and it the less watered down version.  So, I guess the question is when did he start watering down the product, why, and does it work as well?  It could be that it was watered down to reduce irritation, but the tradeoff could be efficacy.  It didn't irritate me when I used it before.  I don't currently have a retinol product in my regime, so it's a bit tempting.

I was going to mention something to this effect, but got sidetracked. When I tried the PTR version it was syrupy, not watery. That was a few years ago.

I think I only used it for 2 weeks and went back to what I had been using before at a much lower %. I really didn't find it to be as effective, or even effective at all, even though he boasted 1.5% (not that I was looking for higher percentage.)

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I checked the ingredient decks and they are the SAME at QVC and Sephora.  However, I also checked the ingredient deck from when I bought one of his kits a few years back and it the less watered down version.  So, I guess the question is when did he start watering down the product, why, and does it work as well?  It could be that it was watered down to reduce irritation, but the tradeoff could be efficacy.  It didn't irritate me when I used it before.  I don't currently have a retinol product in my regime, so it's a bit tempting.

I'd try it.  A huge bottle of this is less expensive than one tube of retin a.  I'm not sure if you've tried Retin A in the past.  I think retinol and retin A are game changers as far as anti aging, but the peeling with retin a can be really annoying.  I don't peel with his, but I find it effective.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Changing the consistency or texture of a product doesn't mean it's "watered down". 

The question about the ingredient list being "different" has already been answered by the OP (cmoose) in a subsequent post.  There is no difference in the product you're getting from QVC or any other retailer.

I do wish people would check the facts before starting a thread like this.  A lot of people don't bother reading all the posts; just go with the first one and jump to the wrong conclusions.   JMHO.

Bottom line:  does the product work for you?  Good.  Doesn't?  Switch to something else that does.  Not everything works for everyone.  No need to accuse the vendor of sharp practices.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I only purchase skincare from a reputable skincare company or physician or medical based company like Skinsceuticals. 

PTR has said he started out as a jeweler w/ his family. How does that put him, in any way, in the same category as Dr. Gross products, Dr. Perricone or Dr. Denese? 

i personally use and love PTR products and perricone products. they both work well for me. most beauty and skincare purchases are a matter of personal choice. what works for some may not work for others. i would not doubt that PTR has a very good, reputable TEAM that does research and creates products that SOME of us have had success with.

i actually own a number of his jewelry pieces and they are unique and beautiful.....some purchased from qvc, some from his website.

Peter Thomas Roth’s passion for skin care is derived from his quest to find effective products to treat his own personal skin care concerns. Initially his primary issue was acne and as time went on anti-aging issues as well. His interests eventually grew into a desire to find the best tools to combat acne, the many signs of aging, as well as protecting the skin from sun damage. His mission: to combine effective and potent ingredients with advanced technology.

As the first generation child of Hungarian parents, skin care is an inherent part of Peter's heritage. During the 1800s and early 1900s, Peter's family owned and operated two spa resorts in Hungary. When Peter launched his company in 1993, he started with the basic soothing and healing philosophies of the many muds and minerals found in Hungarian thermal springs. While still giving credit to old-school remedies, Peter now uses the latest innovative and effective ingredients to improve on the formulas blending old Hungarian philosophies with 21st century skin care technologies to create effective skin care that does what it promises to do!

@sunshine45     @Shanus

Thanks for posting that, Sunshine!    Obviously, many don't know Peter's background.

As for Peter's "category", Shanus, I don't know what his degrees are in, but we also don't know what research he's done over the years.

Plus, someone with less knowledge but lots of $$$ can put together a superior development team that will easily rival any other skin care company out there.    IMO, He doesn't need an MD to run a company that manufactures excellent products.   

ITA

Who konws what Perricone does?   He could have very little to do with his line now, and he could have all of his staff continue to work on bringing out all of these "new products".  

PTR does not bring out a new product line every 3 months the way Perricone does.  Plus, he shows up to talk about his product which I respect.  I like the fact he doesn't offer 5000 products the way Perricone does.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find it very odd the bottle does not come with a pump, dropper  or something....

PT said that it would be too dangerous to put a glass dropper that size in the bottle...  I am like HUH?>????????  

WELL THEN USE A PLASTIC DROPPER FOR GOSH SAKES!!!!!! 

Pouring it out is just a way for him to have you use more than you need. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@meonlybetter wrote:

Please put this on QVC's FaceBook page for the world to see. Like everyone else, I'm beyond annoyed.

@meonlybetter

Well then, you're "beyond annoyed" for no good reason.   The ingredients are the same and the QVC offering isn't a watered down version.

Read Post # 73 for the confirmation.   oi vey

Honored Contributor

this was addressed at the top of the 12PM presentation.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

Changing the consistency or texture of a product doesn't mean it's "watered down". 

The question about the ingredient list being "different" has already been answered by the OP (cmoose) in a subsequent post.  There is no difference in the product you're getting from QVC or any other retailer.

I do wish people would check the facts before starting a thread like this.  A lot of people don't bother reading all the posts; just go with the first one and jump to the wrong conclusions.   JMHO.

Bottom line:  does the product work for you?  Good.  Doesn't?  Switch to something else that does.  Not everything works for everyone.  No need to accuse the vendor of sharp practices.

The reason I used the term watered down had to do with water being moved up the ingredient list.  

Now, as far as the issue being addressed by OP:  1.  I think it's a bit much to expect everybody to wade through 10 pages of posts to find that response.  2. The response is not exactly correct.  As I mentioned in a previous post, the ingredient decks at both Sephora and QVC are the SAME.  But the original post listed Retinol as the 3rd ingredient in the product and QVC lists it as fourth after water.  But, Sephora actually lists Retinol as fourth after water on their website.  So, did Sephora actually today change their ingredient deck after being instructed to by the PTR folks?  OP's response leads you to believe that the incorrect Sephora ingredient deck listed in the original post is the formulation when that is not true.

At some point over the last few years PTR changed the formulation of the product to move Retinol farther down the list after water.  (I know this because I have the ingredient deck from a kit I used a few years back.)  Is that watered down?  You'll have to decide for yourself.

Trusted Contributor

Just my opinion, but that response from PTR sounds like a "fluff off and appease the customer" email.

A wave of the arm, wave it all away with an "oops, ......so sorry", but yet never really addressing the issue of "why is it watery" as compared to his product of just a few years ago.

These supersized products, from any vendor, always make me leary. No company in the world is going to give product away just because they are nice.

After reading his entire thread, I am no closer to feeling trusting that I am not buying a big bottle of water Smiley Sad

Good detective work posters!