Trusted Contributor

Re: PEELING FROM P.C. 1%RETINOL, MY SCRUB NOT HELPING...

I use PC's Unscrub if my skin is flaking.  It is very gentle and has dissolvable beads.  I love her products and have been using since 1995.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@kittycatmeow wrote:

I get peeling from using Retina-A  and I use Peter Thomas Roth Firmx Peeling Gel to remove the flaking.  This stuff is awesome and it's amazing how clean my face feels after using it, almost like my skin can breathe again! It's the only thing that works for me to get rid of the peeling.  I literally see the dirt rolling off.  My tip is to keep it on for a few minutes before using.

While many think this product is peeling their skin off, it's the product balling up and rubbing off.  I'm sure skin cells are coming off, but after reading the reviews, many think it's skin coming off.   However, I imagine it would be good to remove skin flakes too.

Cellulose is right at the top of the ingredient list. 

@JeanLouiseFinch  - Is cellulose the ingredient that is  making the product ball up?  

Respected Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

@Dazlin - I tried that product from Paula's Choice and used it twice and thew it away.  The peeling was awful and I thought no way.  So went back to using her 0.3% Retinol with 2% Bakuchiol product and I have no issues.  Sorry you're having this problem, hope you can find a solution.

@JudyL , I'll have to cut back on it, and use some moisturizer with it.  It also makes my face itchy during the night.  I probably won't buy it again...its also pricey. 

But as @SilleeMee said, hopefully my skin will adjust.

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@kittycatmeow wrote:

I get peeling from using Retina-A  and I use Peter Thomas Roth Firmx Peeling Gel to remove the flaking.  This stuff is awesome and it's amazing how clean my face feels after using it, almost like my skin can breathe again! It's the only thing that works for me to get rid of the peeling.  I literally see the dirt rolling off.  My tip is to keep it on for a few minutes before using.

While many think this product is peeling their skin off, it's the product balling up and rubbing off.  I'm sure skin cells are coming off, but after reading the reviews, many think it's skin coming off.   However, I imagine it would be good to remove skin flakes too.

Cellulose is right at the top of the ingredient list. 

@JeanLouiseFinch  - Is cellulose the ingredient that is  making the product ball up?  

@San Antonio Gal , it did nothing on me, I threw it out.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@JudyL wrote:

@Dazlin - I tried that product from Paula's Choice and used it twice and thew it away.  The peeling was awful and I thought no way.  So went back to using her 0.3% Retinol with 2% Bakuchiol product and I have no issues.  Sorry you're having this problem, hope you can find a solution.

@JudyL , I'll have to cut back on it, and use some moisturizer with it.  It also makes my face itchy during the night.  I probably won't buy it again...its also pricey. 

But as @SilleeMee said, hopefully my skin will adjust.

@Dazlin 

The itching is a temporary side effect which usually goes away in about a month...about the same length of time for normal cell turnover to occur. But if it's too pricey then I understand completely.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  ,   thank you for replies, as always,  so helpful.  Honestly, if the side effects subside, then I don't mind the price, because I see it's working.  I used to use SkinMedica, but bought from Ebay at half price, as long there was an expiration date I was sure I was getting something fresh.  I did have some peeling, but like I mentioned the scrub I used buy from Dr.Dubrow on the shopping Channel was great and removed all the flakes.  Worked great on chapped lips too.  I haven't found anything similar, or something that's not only physical, but chemical.   

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin 

I'm sorry you are experiencing this.   

I have used Retin-A (.05 % Tretinion 25 years).  Occasionally a bit of red, some light peeling.    

Did try the product you mention from PC once, with the same results you are experiencing.  Once was enough, and I went back to my old faithful.

Fortunately it was right there in my Cosmeceuticals fridge.

Best wishes to you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin 

If you decide to continue using the PC retinol maybe sign up for emails on her website to get sale notifications. That would help out a bit.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee , BTW,  I'm using the BWC cleanser you recommended at night.  Maybe I'll try leaving it on longer then use my microfiber cloth with it tonight, but that's what I do every night.  I'll just let it sit for a few more minutes tonight.  I just looked at my Accure scrub, although it's quite gritty, it doesn't contain glycolic, so it's only physical.     Idk if you remember,  but I told you I also use Alpha glycolic serum...I do that on nights without the retinol.   Hopefully these flakes/peeling will be off tomorrow...hard to put make up on...😖.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Dazlin 

If you decide to continue using the PC retinol maybe sign up for emails on her website to get sale notifications. That would help out a bit.

@SilleeMee , I actually unsubscribed from her website...they literally BLEW UP my phone with emails...I'd rather check myself periodically.