Respected Contributor

PEELING FROM P.C. 1%RETINOL, MY SCRUB NOT HELPING...

I use Accure scrub, and it's not removing the peeling flakes on my face.  I cut back on Paula's Choice retinol to 2 or 3 nights a week.  At least I know it's working,  lol...but what can I use to remove the flaking/peeling?

I already use Alphas glycolic serum on other nights.

Honored Contributor

Re: PEELING FROM P.C. 1%RETINOL, MY SCRUB NOT HELPING...

@Dazlin wrote:

I use Accure scrub, and it's not removing the peeling flakes on my face.  I cut back on Paula's Choice retinol to 2 or 3 nights a week.  At least I know it's working,  lol...but what can I use to remove the flaking/peeling?

I already use Alphas glycolic serum on other nights.

@Dazlin  You may need to back off and restart.  I recently tried the Bliss Microdermabrasion Scrub.  It was gentle, yet effective, but you could easily just use a somewhat rough washcloth.  Another thing you might try is doing your evening skincare and moisturizer earlier in the evening to give it time to penetrate, then apply the retinol at bedtime.  That's what I do, only I use Tretinoin. 

Contributor

I get peeling from using Retina-A  and I use Peter Thomas Roth Firmx Peeling Gel to remove the flaking.  This stuff is awesome and it's amazing how clean my face feels after using it, almost like my skin can breathe again! It's the only thing that works for me to get rid of the peeling.  I literally see the dirt rolling off.  My tip is to keep it on for a few minutes before using.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch , I use a microfiber washcloth and as much as I love it, it's not removing the peeling skin.

So, you said try moisturizer earlier??  Then the retinol??  But I thought the retinol is supposed to go on clean freshly washed skin??

I used to love a face scrub that Dr.Dubrow made...it was both a chemical and physical, and that ALWAYS removed flakey skin, and wasn't harsh or drying,  so nice.  Unfortunately they stopped making it, and I haven't found anything close.  The Accure I'm using is probably only physical,  I'll have to check ingredients again,  but I think it has glycolic in it...im surprised it's not taking off the dead skin.

Respected Contributor

@kittycatmeow , I had it and have used it in the past, for some reason, it did absolutely nothing...so I threw it out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kittycatmeow wrote:

I get peeling from using Retina-A  and I use Peter Thomas Roth Firmx Peeling Gel to remove the flaking.  This stuff is awesome and it's amazing how clean my face feels after using it, almost like my skin can breathe again! It's the only thing that works for me to get rid of the peeling.  I literally see the dirt rolling off.  My tip is to keep it on for a few minutes before using.

While many think this product is peeling their skin off, it's the product balling up and rubbing off.  I'm sure skin cells are coming off, but after reading the reviews, many think it's skin coming off.   However, I imagine it would be good to remove skin flakes too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin 

First I would cut back to using it maybe twice a week or less. Make sure you apply a thin even layer to thoroughly dried skin. If that doesn't help then try mixing the retinol with some moisturizer to dilute it a bit until your skin adjusts. It will take several weeks until the flaking resides...but it will eventually. 

Also, avoid scrubbing your face prior to applying the retinol. Try cleansing by using your hands only. I know applying stuff to a flaky face is annoying but you'll get past this and then it will be fine.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch , I use a microfiber washcloth and as much as I love it, it's not removing the peeling skin.

So, you said try moisturizer earlier??  Then the retinol??  But I thought the retinol is supposed to go on clean freshly washed skin??

I used to love a face scrub that Dr.Dubrow made...it was both a chemical and physical, and that ALWAYS removed flakey skin, and wasn't harsh or drying,  so nice.  Unfortunately they stopped making it, and I haven't found anything close.  The Accure I'm using is probably only physical,  I'll have to check ingredients again,  but I think it has glycolic in it...im surprised it's not taking off the dead skin.

Yes, you obviously need a buffer so either moisturize earlier and retinol at bedtime.  Or, if you want to do everything at the same time, mix your retinol and moisturizer together.  

Something else you can try is an enzymatic cleanser or a gentle AHA/PHA essence/toner. 

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@kittycatmeow wrote:

While many think this product is peeling their skin off, it's the product balling up and rubbing off.  I'm sure skin cells are coming off, but after reading the reviews, many think it's skin coming off.   However, I imagine it would be good to remove skin flakes too.

Cellulose is right at the top of the ingredient list. 

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin - I tried that product from Paula's Choice and used it twice and thew it away.  The peeling was awful and I thought no way.  So went back to using her 0.3% Retinol with 2% Bakuchiol product and I have no issues.  Sorry you're having this problem, hope you can find a solution.