Super Contributor

Here are my suggestions:

If you are still in Seattle on 7/20/14, you can go on the West Seattle Garden Tour. Look up "West Seattle Garden Tour" online for details.

Visit Smith Tower in downtown Seattle for one of the best views of Seattle. Much less expensive than the Space Needle and the view is wonderful.

Take the ferry to Vashon Island and walk around to see the town. Get on the ferry downtown or in West Seattle. You can walk on the ferry but will need transportation once you get there, so driving your car onto the ferry is best. Lots of art and all-around quirkiness to enjoy.

Visit Fremont and walk around or take an Underground Food tour of Fremont and learn all about the different foods and art that are part of this Seattle neighborhood.

Ride one of the Duck Boats for a fun land/water tour. They look crazy and very touristy but are truly a good time!

Go on a "first Thursday" art walk in Pioneer Square. Look it up online for details.

Take cooking class at Diane's Market Kitchen in Post Alley, Seattle. You can go with her to Pike Place Market to buy the ingredients for the meal you learn to make in her class. Many in Seattle have food preferences, so just tell her you're a vegetarian. No biggie.

Ride the water taxi from downtown to West Seattle and walk around Alki Beach. Lots to eat, a fun ride and great people watching on a sunny day. Yes, we do have them and this is the best time of year to be outside in Seattle!

Have fun!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It probably was the Underground Seattle Tour…. but it was all about the first toilets being brought to the area and the lack of sewers, etc. It was funny, fun, and memorable!

Frequent Contributor

Great replies. Thanks so much. Now I feel prepared. I am excited about the underground tour and the garden tour. We did go to Vashon. I just missed their garden tour but the island was quite lovely. I will definitely go back. I just love riding around in the dense forest with the windows down. There is a fellow that blogs on Vashon - Tall Clover Farm. He has the most gorgeous roses and makes peach pies and jellies.

Thanks for your help, all of you.

Frequent Contributor

A cool thing is the science fiction museum. It is full of memorabilia from all kinds of movies. I think it all belongs to Paul Allen, but I'm not sure. I'm not a big fan of science fiction and I loved it. If you want to do something fun and touristy, I recommend the Ride the Ducks tour. It is a land/water vehicle. I should have read the posts more closely, so I second the recommendation. I also agree with the recommendations for the Underground Seattle tour.

Super Contributor

I have a young child. He enjoyed going on the "Duck Tour" its an amphibious vehicle that I think was in WWII it takes you through a tour of Seattle on land, and the grand finale is you drive into the lake. The take you on a tour of the lake and also point out the Houseboat that "Sleepless and Seattle" My son thought it was a blast. You can buy the tickets downtown in front of Nordstrom.

Also the Pacific Science Center was fun.

Of course Pike's Market

There is also an underground tour that's supposed to be fun, but we ran out of time.

Public transportation is great.

There's a city pass you can purchase, which is much cheaper than buying tickets to these things independently.

Frequent Contributor

Hi Gigikiwi,

If you are up for a little drive you would just love Snoqualmie Pass, about 50 miles east of Seattle. I love Seattle and have visited my BIL and SIL there multiple times, always a treat. The pass is in the Cascade mountains. The falls are amazing and there are paved walkways that you can stroll around and view the falls from different angles. There is a resort there that is fabulous and renowned for their spa treatments. A bit pricey for me but well worth having lunch in the "Attic" with a view of the falls. Also when you drive into the pass there is a little town called Alpental which is Bavarian style and has chalets and ski lodges that I loved, of course that was in December. The pier is amazing and I could spend all day there. I can't wait to go back to Washington State.

Super Contributor
On 6/27/2014 Gigikiwi said:

Great replies. Thanks so much. Now I feel prepared. I am excited about the underground tour and the garden tour. We did go to Vashon. I just missed their garden tour but the island was quite lovely. I will definitely go back. I just love riding around in the dense forest with the windows down. There is a fellow that blogs on Vashon - Tall Clover Farm. He has the most gorgeous roses and makes peach pies and jellies.

Thanks for your help, all of you.

If you love the dense forest, do try to go up to the Olympic Rainforest.

Here are some facts about the park:

http://www.softschools.com/facts/us_national_landmarks/olympic_national_park_facts/524/

Super Contributor
On 6/28/2014 ceegee2 said:

Hi Gigikiwi,

If you are up for a little drive you would just love Snoqualmie Pass, about 50 miles east of Seattle. I love Seattle and have visited my BIL and SIL there multiple times, always a treat. The pass is in the Cascade mountains. The falls are amazing and there are paved walkways that you can stroll around and view the falls from different angles. There is a resort there that is fabulous and renowned for their spa treatments. A bit pricey for me but well worth having lunch in the "Attic" with a view of the falls. Also when you drive into the pass there is a little town called Alpental which is Bavarian style and has chalets and ski lodges that I loved, of course that was in December. The pier is amazing and I could spend all day there. I can't wait to go back to Washington State.

How could I not mention Snoqualamie Falls? Thanks!!

Frequent Contributor

We did go there one of my visits during the fall. It was spectacular. You reminded me that I want to go back! This state is so beautiful. Thanks again! Gigi

Frequent Contributor

Maren et al, I went to Alki Beach today and Camp Long, a beautiful park set forth for the Boy Scouts. It is lovely with winding trails and lots of cabins. Then to trail at Llandover Woods, it was lovely, went at sunset. We could see it peeping through the trees. I am glad I am here for a while there is a lot to discover. I also liked the vibe on California street in W Seattle. I am falling for this place.