Honored Contributor

Overwhelmed by Eyeshadow Palettes

[ Edited ]

Feeling overwhelmed with eyeshadow palettes so much so that I don't even use them because it's just too much.   Have been asking myself lately what it is that I really want in an eyeshadow palette - lots of shades to choose from, neutral shades, shimmers, mattes, etc.  Think I've pretty much decided that I prefer smaller palettes with neutral shades and not a lot of shimmers. I want to simplify things and have just a few palette options that I can choose from that have what I want/need in one palette.

So off I go.  Wish me luck.  Send food and water if you don't hear from me in a few days.  LOL   I'm joking!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Overwhelmed by Eyeshadow Palettes

I don't know what your best colors are, but it's easy to get by with just a few soft taupe and grey shades. 

When you buy these massive color ranges in palettes, it may look "artistic" but many just won't be flattering on you ... and a total waste of money.  

Honored Contributor

@JudyL 

I'm with you!  I would rather have a pallet with 3 or 4 colors than a mega-sized pallet with 20 colors.  I do like color, e.g., blue, purple, green, pink, but I'd rather have them in a small pallet.  I haven't bought an eyeshadow pallet in quite a while because the ones I have are very useable.  I don't wear eyeshadow EVERY day, so even though I like looking at the pretty pallets, I don't bother buying any new ones.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

I'm right there with you, Sister.  Those huge pallets would be a total waste of money for me.  I want a pallet of 3 or 4 neutral shades...and really prefer matte.  I have a highlighter I am using from one company and am using a single shade (Hazelnut) from Mary Kay right now.  That's it, and that's really about all I need.  Just wish it was in one pallet for convenience.  Let us know what you find!

Honored Contributor

@JudyL  - I love looking at eye shadow palettes, but I haven't bought one in a few years.  Ever since I started working from home March 2020, I haven't really been wearing makeup.  I miss wearing makeup to work everyday, but at the same time, it's nice not to have to wear makeup everyday.   I don't even wear makeup for our Zoom meetings anymore.  I've gotten makeup-lazy.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a few go-to with a few colors and stick to those,  Right now it is the Wayne Goss Pearl palette that is my go-to and then a couple of Charlotte Tilbury.  Whenever I decide to try something new it ends up being a waste of money because I don't end up using them.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@JudyL  - I love looking at eye shadow palettes, but I haven't bought one in a few years.  Ever since I started working from home March 2020, I haven't really been wearing makeup.  I miss wearing makeup to work everyday, but at the same time, it's nice not to have to wear makeup everyday.   I don't even wear makeup for our Zoom meetings anymore.  I've gotten makeup-lazy.

@San Antonio Gal 

Oh my gosh, me too!  On days I know I will need to turn on my camera, I do wear foundation at a minimum.  It looks better on camera than no make-up at all.  I look pretty hideous on camera without foundation.

I do miss wearing a full face everyday, but like you, at the same time, it's nice not to HAVE to anymore.  I have a number of on-camera meetings for the most of the next two weeks, so I'll probably be wearing it often.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well that didn't take long!  I have decluttered 11 palettes and still have quite a few. Probably should get rid of a couple more.  There are 2 or 3 that I'm going to try out again as I just wasn't sure about them and if I don't love them, then they will be added to the pile.  Went from 3 large lucite type eyeshadow palette drawers down to 2 with room to spare.  Didn't declutter any eyeshadow sticks or cream shadows as I do use those quite a bit.  Actually feel like the palettes I've kept will actually be used now.  Doesn't feel so overwhelming.

I have put all the palettes in my donate box where they will sit for 30-60 days.  If I don't change my mind and decide to keep any of them, off they will go.  Someone else will hopefully enjoy them.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

Feeling overwhelmed with eyeshadow palettes so much so that I don't even use them because it's just too much.   Have been asking myself lately what it is that I really want in an eyeshadow palette - lots of shades to choose from, neutral shades, shimmers, mattes, etc.  Think I've pretty much decided that I prefer smaller palettes with neutral shades and not a lot of shimmers. I want to simplify things and have just a few palette options that I can choose from that have what I want/need in one palette.

So off I go.  Wish me luck.  Send food and water if you don't hear from me in a few days.  LOL   I'm joking!

@JudyL   You can't see, but my hand's raised here. That's why I've been using that Dior cashmere palette, a few Chanel ones, etc. The bigger ones (Stone Cold Fox and ND Glam palettes...spendy mistakes) didn't fit in the top drawer where my my makeup is,so was often forgotten. 

Yes, some of the 4-5 pan palettes I have cost more the bigger ones, but I go back to the cost per wear theory.

Honored Contributor

While some of the palettes are so beautiful with their paintbox of tempting colors (I love the ones with designs stamped into them....but of course they are more expensive!), I find that I really only use one or two colors.  Most of the colors just go to waste.

Now I rarely buy a large expensive palette.  It's just not worth it.