Respected Contributor

I never heard of anyone ever doing this until I heard Dimitri on Skinn last weekend say he did this. They used stem cells to repair it he said.  How do you overbrush your teeth?!

Honored Contributor

Re: Overbrushing Teeth

[ Edited ]

Yes! That's what my dentist told me, too. He said every time you brush your teeth then you brush away a little bit of the enamel along with very tiny amounts of gum tissue. That's why it's so important to use soft brushes and non-abrasive toothpastes.

Esteemed Contributor

My understanding from my dentist is if you brush hard you can damage your enamel & your gums.She always reminds me to use a soft bristled brush & gently glide the brush around the 4 quadrants. That is why I use an Oral B electric toothbrush.

Esteemed Contributor

I knew a guy who by the time he was in his mid 20’s had brushed away all of his enamel. He would brush his teeth every couple of hours very vigorously. He was obsessed and had various kinds of OCD. He would take 4-5 showers daily using new towels each time, he made sure his then wife washed them immediately after using. He would go through a bar of soap almost daily and a tube of toothpaste every couple of days. 

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I knew a guy who by the time he was in his mid 20’s had brushed away all of his enamel. He would brush his teeth every couple of hours very vigorously. He was obsessed and had various kinds of OCD. He would take 4-5 showers daily using new towels each time, he made sure his then wife washed them immediately after using. He would go through a bar of soap almost daily and a tube of toothpaste every couple of days. 

omg that sounds like Mr. Monk from the TV show!...LOL!

Respected Contributor

My first husband was addicted to firm toothbrushes. He would load them up with toothpaste and brush away.  By the time he was in his 30's he had severely damaged the enamel on his teeth by the hard brushing with the firm bristled brushes.  It definitely can happen.  He had  multiple caps to replace the damage.

Honored Contributor

I can see why it happens. Just look at the neon white teeth on the models this morning for the IT programming. Watch a movie from the 60's and no one has teeth that white..

Respected Contributor

Re: Overbrushing Teeth

[ Edited ]

A dentist that I went to for years before he retired, used to tell me that I brush too hard which can cause gum erosion. My grandmother used to tell me to scrub my teeth so I was literally  doing that. I now try to be more gentle.

Valued Contributor

I just got Invisalign clear braces.  I am required to brush my teeth 3 X a day (every time I take out the braces to eat and I can't put them back in without brushing any food and plaque, from my teeth and plaque from the braces). I have always used a WaterPic after brushing.  I will have to do this for 10-12 months. This dilemma has crossed my mind so this conversation hit home for me.  I have always used a SoniCare tooth brush. Religiously!!! obsessed with it.   Now, I have decided to only use it one time (at night) a day. Concerned that it is just too much for my gums and too much agitation for the attachments on my teeth...and now I am learning my enamel is in jeopardy!!   I purchased a very very soft regular tooth brush for the other times in the day. 

Respected Contributor

my dentist says that I am too aggressive in brushing.  i bought a sonicare, but still find it difficult to not brush hatd.  i grew up in the 60's and i can still hear my dad saying i do not hear you brushing...