Esteemed Contributor

Re: Over-the-top "I love you'" and hugging

@gmkb I agree that she was very patient and helpful with him. Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

i don't watch much QVC anymore. When Lisa R did it, she sort of did a kiss kiss mwah mwah and got on with the show. i cannot watch any of the other hosts.

i disagree that there is a ton of hugging and kissing in corporate culture. just NO unless it is colleagues one is close to.

Regular Contributor

Speaking only for myself,

I think it has to do with the general theme of one big happy family with visiting friends. I also believe that's what the show host Facebook pages are about.

Creating an atmosphere of knowing each other, being friends with the viewers, interacting, sharing family events etc Obviously that is not the case in reality but the feeling that wants to be emulated. Many callers have told show hosts and vendors "I love you". It's not bad or wrong just unusual to me. But no harm done...

Honored Contributor

I don't think the hugs and kisses are necessary.  A simple handshake would be more professional.  That being said it doesn't really bother me that they do it. 

Valued Contributor

@Cool in Ohio wrote:

I just replied to another post about the hugging, "I love you's" and kissing that goes on between hosts and vendors.   Some hosts are worse than others.   At times, it is over the top!    Why is this necessary?    I have seen some hosts get a little carried away, Shawn and Amy especially on PM style.  The interaction between Isaac, Lori, etc...   you LOVE each other???    LOL    Once Amy hugged Chaz and of course had to say her "I love you's" and kissing..  The hug was just a little too much  (lengthy and inappropriate).   I really don't want to see it; I love some of the shows but too touchy-feely at times!   Please do this at home with your loved ones and friends!!!!!

IMO it's unprofessional and ackward, sometimes there is that moment that passes between them like at the end of a first date, "should we kiss or should we not - should I hug you first or should I let you hug me".  Just stop.  A simple courteous greeting and handshake like they do on HSN is all that is required.   

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't like it and I don' t like the kissing. The constant I love yous are disingenuous and the kissing makes me cringe. Can you imagine being at work and  kissing all your coworkers when you see them or the vendors/contractors that come in?? LOL, I don't think so! And this disdain for the kissing and hugging is coming from a person who likes to kiss and hug those that I love! Oh and I mean, TRULY love, not "love" in the sense the vendors/hosts/callers use it. Ugh.

I don't mind the hugging so much if it is a close friend as well as a vendor.

Honored Contributor

@Northray wrote:

@Cool in Ohio wrote:

I just replied to another post about the hugging, "I love you's" and kissing that goes on between hosts and vendors.   Some hosts are worse than others.   At times, it is over the top!    Why is this necessary?    I have seen some hosts get a little carried away, Shawn and Amy especially on PM style.  The interaction between Isaac, Lori, etc...   you LOVE each other???    LOL    Once Amy hugged Chaz and of course had to say her "I love you's" and kissing..  The hug was just a little too much  (lengthy and inappropriate).   I really don't want to see it; I love some of the shows but too touchy-feely at times!   Please do this at home with your loved ones and friends!!!!!

IMO it's unprofessional and ackward, sometimes there is that moment that passes between them like at the end of a first date, "should we kiss or should we not - should I hug you first or should I let you hug me".  Just stop.  A simple courteous greeting and handshake like they do on HSN is all that is required.   

Yes, I've seen this numerous times, especially when it is a vendor that is rarely ever on.

And then I've seen overexuberant hugging and kissing from the vendor towards the hosts who seem like they are doing what they can to get away from the excessive holding and hugging. One in particular occurred when Nick Chavez was on. He kept holding the host who subsequently kept pulling away and trying to keep her distance. I know he meant well but it was clear that the host was not comfortable at all with that much prolonged intimacy.

Occasional Contributor

YES!   They do say "I love you"!    That's what I mean with "OVER THE TOP"!  Its out of hand.  Once Amy was practically grinding her body again Chaz Dean!   I was shocked!  And I don't want to see this!

Occasional Contributor

Well, I feel better knowing there are others who feel the same way as I do!  Just when I think I've seen it all... I see another scenario that just "isn't right".    I agree w/ the post saying this is a NOT a SOAP OPERA... it should be a "business atmosphere" not a big "HUG FEST".   There are many professional hosts, but the ones that step over the line in this area are Shawn, Amy, and Albany.    I've seen this over and over on PM Style.

Valued Contributor

I find it very annoying as well!  The worst is during beauty shows when the host and vendor have to kiss over a model who is sitting between them.  Just uncomfortable in so many ways.  Also hilarious and disgusting is when they are previewing something that is coming up later in the show.  You see a host and a vendor sitting talking to each other.  Then when they realize they are on camera, they have to stop to hug and kiss and and say "it's so nice to see you."  Everyone acts like they haven't seen each other in ages.  Either they all have VERY short memories, or they think we do!

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."