Contributor
Do you think that we can over exfoliate? Sometimes I feel that I’m thinning out the skin
Respected Contributor
Yes, I think so.
Honored Contributor

I think if you have thinner sensitive skin you can. I notice when I exfoliate too much my skin is luminous, but not in a good way. Lately I only exfoliate when my skin doesn't feel smooth. Even using JM Argan Exfoliating Cleanser every night is too much exfoliation for me.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely you can over exfoliate. You can't really thin the skin in a lasting way. It naturally keeps regenerating and replacing itself. But you can sure damage your skin by prematurely taking off layers that aren't ready to shed yet, especially if you do it every day. It's a bit like peeling a sunburn or a blister.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Contributor
Thank you
Esteemed Contributor

YES -     just read an article saying women are removing too much natural oils by exfoliating.  Especially in the cold months.  Philosophy is famous for pushing their products for us to do more.  To hear them go on and on -dead skin will kill us.

Protect your natural skin oils  !

Respected Contributor

I tend to have dry skin espially in winter. One of New York City's top Dematologists, Dr. Patricia Wexler, told me Americans over-wash/cleanse stripping skin of natural oils. For my skin she recommended cleansing with products that had no soap or alcohol. Exfoliate 2 times a month at most. I have followed this for years, my skin is very different that before, especially in winter! BTW, have you ever looked at the ingredients in Philosophy products??? No thanks! 

Respected Contributor

I am very oily, always have been. My skin "requires" exfoliation to behave.

Trusted Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

I tend to have dry skin espially in winter. One of New York City's top Dematologists, Dr. Patricia Wexler, told me Americans over-wash/cleanse stripping skin of natural oils. For my skin she recommended cleansing with products that had no soap or alcohol. Exfoliate 2 times a month at most. I have followed this for years, my skin is very different that before, especially in winter! BTW, have you ever looked at the ingredients in Philosophy products??? No thanks! 

@ellaphant, what product(s) do you use to cleanse?  I agree, over washing is no good for the oils on skin, I always add a few drops of different oils in with my moisturizer, has made my 60 year old skin hydrated & plump

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt  Excellent observation, and well said!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖