Esteemed Contributor

Re: Over 60 skin needs firming and not happy with texture.

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

IMHO, facial exercises add to wrinkles. The eyes, mouth and neck are the most mobile parts of the facial area. These are also the areas that show signs of age first. Why would you purposely exercise them more?

Muscles in the body are different. There’s a thicker layer of skin and tissue on top. Exercise there is beneficial. Collagen thinning is not as much of an issue as it is on the face. We’ve all heard about the thin, delicate skin around the eyes, use the fourth finger to pat on creams gently underneath. Why manipulate that area more than we do in our daily expressions?

@Shanus 

I know there may be controversy out there regarding facial exercises. Haven't you ever been to an aesthetician where (on the surface) they manipulate your skin for some time and you end up looking lifted and glowing afterward?

Facial massage (or other kinds of stimulation) is beneficial even if just for the purpose of draining the lymph.

However, I believe that it's more the collagen and elastin underneath that maintains facial integrity.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

IMHO, facial exercises add to wrinkles. The eyes, mouth and neck are the most mobile parts of the facial area. These are also the areas that show signs of age first. Why would you purposely exercise them more?

Muscles in the body are different. There’s a thicker layer of skin and tissue on top. Exercise there is beneficial. Collagen thinning is not as much of an issue as it is on the face. We’ve all heard about the thin, delicate skin around the eyes, use the fourth finger to pat on creams gently underneath. Why manipulate that area more than we do in our daily expressions?

@Shanus 

I know there may be controversy out there regarding facial exercises. Haven't you ever been to an aesthetician where (on the surface) they manipulate your skin for some time and you end up looking lifted and glowing afterward?

Facial massage (or other kinds of stimulation) is beneficial even if just for the purpose of draining the lymph.

However, I believe that its more the collagen and elastin underneath that maintains facial integrity.

@Harpa   Yes, at my twice a year facial, she manipulates and massages my face. It’s not a regular practice. Collagen, elastin, etc. diminish greatly as we age...check out your hands. Your face is the same. That’s what causes jowls, sagging under eyes and slackness in neck and under chin. 

You’re certainly free to continue your facial massages/exercises. I’m just giving you my opinion and results I’ve seen from women who thought it helped.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

It's fine by me that we disagree, @Shanus . Heart

My family is a bunch of saggers. Gradually, our faces seem to melt down into our shirt collars. We saggers tend to not have deep expression lines. We have folds. I perceive my folds as being much shallower as a result of making my cheek apple area stronger. I also see a more pleasing contour with less hollowing.

Face exercise is a bit like getting a filler injection -you are increasing volume- but with a more subtle look and completely under the exerciser's control. Some people like to use conductive gel and gadgets that work a little like TENs units to zap their face muscles into contraction to tone them to a similar effect. Isomers sells one, Serious Skincare has the Egg, and QVC sells some other brands as well, I believe. It's also a popular spa treatment.

I would not recommend this sort of thing to anyone who does not have facial contour or lack of firmness or sag as an issue. Or anyone who has been told by their PCP or dermatologist to avoid it. Or anyone who is just plain not interested. Woman Wink

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr