Valued Contributor

Over 60 and Home Hair Coloring Question

I've always colored my hair at home with no problems; but since I'm older and have a little more white/gray appearing at the sides and edges of my hair, it seems it doesn't last very long.  Anyone have any tricks for getting it to last in those areas at least 4-6 weeks?

Honored Contributor

Re: Over 60 and Home Hair Coloring Question

Not a "trick."  Those root spray products you see on tv comercials. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

More info, please.  What product are you using to color your hair?  How long do you leave it on before washing out?  How often do you wash your hair?  How often are you coloring your hair now?

To make color last longer, wash it less often.  I try to wash every other day instead of daily but it's not always possible.

Respected Contributor

I use a temporary spray made by L'Oreal called root block that comes in several colors from blondes to brunette. Clairol has a powder that's applied with a brush that comes in several colors. They are available at Walmart and drugstores, etc. I use the L'Oreal to cover my roots and scalp because my scalp doesn't take color so helps with that also. Forgot, check HSN, too. I can't remember the name, but they also carry a powder root cover. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
@patticakes......I am 69 years old and color my hair at home. I use Nice & Easy. I wash my hair first and blow dry it then apply the color. After about 30 minutes I rinse it out. I then blow dry it and I apply Professional Sebastian Cellophanes in Clear. I use a bonnet hair dryer and leave it on until it is completely dry. Then rinse it out following with a good conditioner. When washing my face morning and night I always wear a good cotton hair band or twisty turbie to cover my hair around my face so not to get the cleanser on my hair. I find that this keeps the color around my face from fading. I trade off my shampoos and conditioners. I use Nick Chavez, Wen and Pantene. Hope this helps. (I get the Sebastian Cellophanes at my local Beauty Supply. It comes in different colors but I use the Clear. My hairdresser helped me on what color and how to use it) My color last about 3 months and I wash my hair every 3 days. I use Medium Golden Brown haircolor.
Honored Contributor

Are you coloring your hair with a permanent color or,semi permanent color?

Semi Permanent colors are designed to wash out gradually.  Permanent color can fade, but the color should last.

tips:  

always use a permanent color....the type where you need to mix the color with the peroxide.

color the white hair first, then go back over to do the rest

For maintenance, You should be able to only touch up the roots when you color and then pull the color through to cover everything in the last 5 minutes or so.

If your color says to leave in for 20 minutes, that might not be long enough.  Leave it on longer...up to 45 minutes.  

Do not use a shampoo that strips hair color.  Keep your hair out of the sun..wear a hat.  The sun bleaches hair color out.

If your gray/white hair is resistant to the color.  Mix a small amount ( 1 tablespoon) of hair peroxide with 1 ounce shampoo and lather on the color resistant hair only.  Rinse out after 5 minutes, dry your hair, then apply permanent color.  The shampoo/ peroxide mixture with open up the hair cuticle so the color can be deposited.  

Trusted Contributor

I use Root Rescue to get me thru.  Both Clairol & L'Oreal have their version.  Cost about $6.99.  I use it around on my hairline and in certain areas where my hair parts.  10 mins later - done!  I get about 3-4 weeks out of it.  

I've never tried the spray on color. 

Honored Contributor

What you are seeing is new growth.  

Rather than coloring the gray, I decided to lighten all my hair to camouflage the gray.  

When the roots do show - some are darker, some are lighter and there is no defined line of demarcation and a lot less noticeable than the white/gray along the hairline and down where the hair is parted.

Honored Contributor

@catter70

Just an fyi it it called root rescue not root block.

@catter70 wrote:

I use a temporary spray made by L'Oreal called root block that comes in several colors from blondes to brunette. Clairol has a powder that's applied with a brush that comes in several colors. They are available at Walmart and drugstores, etc. I use the L'Oreal to cover my roots and scalp because my scalp doesn't take color so helps with that also. Forgot, check HSN, too. I can't remember the name, but they also carry a powder root cover. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Clairol's Root Touchup is great - I use it at my temples.