Honored Contributor

Re: Over 50? Do you still like to wear glimmer eyeshadow?

[ Edited ]

I wear one with just the slightest shine.  My eyes are deep set, no use to darken the crease because it doesn't show unless my eyes are closed.

With this shadow, I appear to have more prominent eyes.  Young 20's that have come in the store have asked what I was wearing and told me I did a "beautiful job"!

When I go to walmart I pick up most of them so I don't have to run back!

Revlon Siren

Revlon ColorStay 16 Hour Eye Shadow - 0.16 oz

Respected Contributor

I've never seen "glimmer" shadows, and I never liked glitter in eyeshadow. But if you essentially mean not matte, I'm all in lol!

I always use shadows with a "satin" finish, but if I liked glimmer, you'd better believe I'd wear it! I don't like the rules, written by others, that women of a certain age have to wear matte, and forego color (boring). 

Not everyone has crepey lids or hooded eyes, and even younger women have hooded eyes, anyway.

Wear what makes you happy.

What worries you masters you.
Valued Contributor

Yep I do everyday when I wear eye makeup. I like to have some shine on my movable lid (my eyes are deep set) and under the arch of the brow. I do use matte shadows in the crease though.
Valued Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

I've never seen "glimmer" shadows, and I never liked glitter in eyeshadow. But if you essentially mean not matte, I'm all in lol!

I always use shadows with a "satin" finish, but if I liked glimmer, you'd better believe I'd wear it! I don't like the rules, written by others, that women of a certain age have to wear matte, and forego color (boring). 

Not everyone has crepey lids or hooded eyes, and even younger women have hooded eyes, anyway.

Wear what makes you happy.

Hey you sound like someone who's sharing my mindset -- 'out of the box' so to speak.  I like reading your posts and I think you like mine as well -- hard to find like-minded women anywhere these days!  Keep 'em coming, I'm here maybe 1X a week to read what interests me and to put in my 25 cents worth.  (yours, Nell....) or maybe Ray-Ray??  In-a-wind...."evil-doers" too. Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

My eyes are not crepey, but they've been hooded since I was born! My dad had what they called "bedroom eyes." On him they looked great; on me not so much. 

Laura Geller says there is a difference between sparkle and SHEEN. The sheen is what I go for! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

In general, no.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Yes I wear shimmer/glimmer shadows.   I like a variety and didn't stop when I turned 50.

Esteemed Contributor

The only time I wore a glimmer shimmer eye shadow was on Halloween.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Over 50? Do you still like to wear shimmer eyeshadow?

[ Edited ]

I don't use glimmers, sparkles or metallic shadows. I use a matte lid shade and with my finger add a dot of sheen color in a vanilla type shade just in center of lid. Any crease shades are matte so that area appears to recede.

***High shine accents the lids, drawing attention to the lid and away from the eye itself. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

I wear one with just the slightest shine.  My eyes are deep set, no use to darken the crease because it doesn't show unless my eyes are closed.

With this shadow, I appear to have more prominent eyes.  Young 20's that have come in the store have asked what I was wearing and told me I did a "beautiful job"!

When I go to walmart I pick up most of them so I don't have to run back!

Revlon Siren

Revlon ColorStay 16 Hour Eye Shadow - 0.16 oz

@ECBG   Good morning. With hooded lids, you can "fake" the crease w/o using a dark shadow which not only recedes that further, but as you said, can't be seen. Use a medium shade in your 4 pan palette and go slightly (like 1/4" or less) above the crease applied with eyes open looking straight ahead in the mirror. Adjust that width until you see a slightly "created crease" & blend well. Eyes will appear larger. Hope you and Mr. ECBG had a good Father's Day.