Honored Contributor

Re: Others trying to take credit for Chaz Dean's innovation

[ Edited ]

@coldlake wrote:

The woman who is behind DevaCare wrote a book called Curly Girl before she put out her product line and in the book she recommended using plain old cheap conditioner for no-poo cleansing.  I still use some of the homemade potion recipes she included in the book.  Using conditioner to cleanse my curly hair has been suggested to me since I was a child but I still prefer shampoo.  Don't faint!

If we really want to get nit picky, about a zillion years ago there was a product called (I think) Unicure, which was a creamy, no lather, all purpose hair face body cleanser.  It used to be sold at stores like K Mart and was quite affordable.  It had a sort of Dr Bronners all purpose vibe.

Actually if we want to get SUPER nit picky, people have not had shampoo and conditioner for thousands of years before shampoo was invented and would "cleanse" their hair with a variety of oils and "butters". No shampoo and conditioner- a one step cleanse using conditioning agents and various oils like tea trea, etc to keep bugs and fungus and other skin ailments away. So I think our ancient ancestors were the "true" conditioning cleanser inventors. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

my daughter was born in 1992.......she has always had very curly tight spiral curls. by the time she was 3 or 4 i had such a hard time shampooing her hair and getting the knots out, even using detangling sprays. it used to be such a struggle to detangle her air and we both usually ended up crying. i had read somewhere to NOT shampoo her hair too much,  but to use conditioner instead......that hint was a godsend. easy to remove tangles, clean hair, and her beautiful curls would stay intact with no blow drying.....just air drying.

she still follows this habit today.......and she doesnt use WEN.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

When I started beauty school back in 1969, there were no poo products and natural oils for the hair..,also vitamins.

Some of  products were invented and sold by Jheri Redding who was a scientist and a hair dresser, unlike Caz who is only a hair dresser.

Honored Contributor

Isn't 'No Poo' washing hair w/ baking soda, vinegar, water only?

Honored Contributor

WAIT FOR IT...  Smiley Wink

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

what a loaded statement, lololol

Honored Contributor

Chaz says he invented Wen and the application but he didn't say he invented the concept.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

Who moi?  ;

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

Who moi?  ;

where's the popcorn eating deer? Smiley LOL

live....laugh....love
Respected Contributor

You also must remember that the no-poo movement includes the apple cider vinegar and baking soda washing method.  Chaz didn't invent anything that wasn't already on the market.  He juts did a different formula and marketed it to white people versus the ethnic hair market where conditioner only cleaning has been going on forever!