Honored Contributor

Organizing skincare items and color cosmetics....

Anyone else working on this?  I'm trying to make sure I use items before they expire and also easily check on what I have so I don't reorder items I don't need.  How do you organize yours?

Super Contributor

Re: Organizing skincare items and color cosmetics....

I am doing the same--I have so much "stuff" moisturizer neck cream argon oil eye cream retinol--some I got at qvc some I pick up at Marshalls etc.--I just got a vanity that I am just organizing (wow is that the treat!--I can actually sit down and apply my makeup/skin care etc. I feel like a princess!)--so anyway I want to get rid of all that stuff and the only way is to use it up--some how I accumulated toooo much!!--so when I do finish using it all up--I will only allow myself one of each (hopefully!)--I have very good intensions--I hope I stick to them----------------------Man Wink

Honored Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

Anyone else working on this?  I'm trying to make sure I use items before they expire and also easily check on what I have so I don't reorder items I don't need.  How do you organize yours?

@Daysdee   I think we all are tempted by the new and better and get overloaded w/ products. I’ve paired down to my favorite “go to” skincare brands and items and when I purchase a back up (or 2 if on sale), I date them when I purchased it and also put the expiration date. That way I know I’m using the correct one next. 

Makeup....same thing, especially mascara is dated...on the tube. When the 3 months is up, I toss it. That’s why I use drugstore brands. Since I only do my makeup several days a week, it’s never used up. It’d kill me to throw out a $25 mascara. 

All “extras” are lined up on a shelf with “next to use” first in line. It also makes it easy to see when I need to replace something or order skincare.

Honored Contributor

Shanus:  Thanks for replying.  One of the reasons I "organized" more is to make sure I am using items before they expire and using like brands together.  I too plan to pare down to using only two brands.  I am overstocked a little now, but not buying from certain lines any more and using what I have on hand.  Will take a while, but I plan to do that and pare down on my supply.  My resolve is not to be tempted by other brands from now on.

Esteemed Contributor

That is impressive, @Daysdee ! I just don't know how to use only 2 brands! At least in skin care.

In makeup, I have been sticking to IT for a while. But even there, I have one or 2 items that I like from all over the place.

But thanks for the reminder! I know there are things I need to toss. I still keep thinking I will use those BE eye shadows for water colors! A little bit of shimmer in the picture.....I bet that would look kind of neat!

Esteemed Contributor

I never buy a new product until the old product is empty.  No stash and very few total products.  When I open a new product, I write the date on the jar, tube, whatever.   I replace mascara every 3 months.  I keep makeup items in a divided Rubbermaid silverware keeper in a bathroom drawer; skin and hair care items are kept in a plastic container about 1/2 the size of a shoebox in a different drawer.   Not a whole lot to organize.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

I never buy a new product until the old product is empty.  No stash and very few total products.  When I open a new product, I write the date on the jar, tube, whatever.   I replace mascara every 3 months.  I keep makeup items in a divided Rubbermaid silverware keeper in a bathroom drawer; skin and hair care items are kept in a plastic container about 1/2 the size of a shoebox in a different drawer.   Not a whole lot to organize.

@tototwo   I do the same as you do, except my skincare is ordered online, so have a backup, can’t wait until used up. It’s still dated. Good system.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Daysdee wrote:

Shanus:  Thanks for replying.  One of the reasons I "organized" more is to make sure I am using items before they expire and using like brands together.  I too plan to pare down to using only two brands.  I am overstocked a little now, but not buying from certain lines any more and using what I have on hand.  Will take a while, but I plan to do that and pare down on my supply.  My resolve is not to be tempted by other brands from now on.

@Daysdee   I just lucked out w/ my Skinceuticals. It works for my skin and has for years. I’ve added a night cream w/ acids and PTR Peel Pads. It makes it easier for me. The trick for me is not buying into the hype of “newer and better” and the false claims over the years. My routine works...why would I change? 

My personal makeup is so minimal and shades pared down to what works....2 “foundations” (BB Tinted Moisturizer and BB Foundation Stick for more coverage days). Also BB corrector & concealer, Pot Rouge in Pale Pink, powder blush in Antiqua and NARS “O”. Black & navy pencil and/or gel liner for tightlining and a few neutral shadow palettes & my L’oreal Voluminous mascara. I’ve used all these same BB makeup products for over 20 yrs. The key for me is skincare is #1 & although makeup for others is a profession, unless I’m working and do a full face  as a courtesy to clients, my mu daily is almost non-existent because (excuse me) my skin can go w/o it from so many years of care...well, a little light concealer.

Not bragging, but anyone who saw my photos of my “brow adventure”...very little lines around eyes at 70. Skincare done regularly w/ the right products does work. Could have posted just the brow, but wanted to show my eye so you could see I’m not joking.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

It’d kill me to throw out a $25 mascara. 

@Shanus 

It’d kill me to buy a $25 mascara. 

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

It’d kill me to throw out a $25 mascara. 

@Shanus 

It’d kill me to buy a $25 mascara. 

@just bee  Sephora, Ulta and dept. store mascaras can go close to $30!!! Crazy, to me.