Honored Contributor

I've just added an eye cream to my nightly routine of (in order) cleanse with Dove bar soap, Neutrogena Hydroboost Water Gel (L.O.V.E!!!), Rosehip Seed Oil and Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Night.  Just added Clinque All About Eyes Rich.  When should I apply this?  Right now I'm applying it after the HydroBoost (followed by Rosehip Seed Oil and moisturizer.  Thanks

Honored Contributor

@monicakm  I recently read that the lightest goes first.  So serum, moisturizer and last oil.  I think 3 is enough on the face.  Eye cream -- I would only use the eye cream unless you really want to add an oil over that.  Good luck.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@monicakm   Always start with the thinnest (serums) first, and end with the thicker moisterizer.  Any oils should go on last, since they might inhibit the absorption of other products.  They also help seal in what's underneath!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I have also read that oils should go on last.  Tried it and (for me) it didn't work so I switched the moisturizer and oil order and felt a difference over night.  

Honored Contributor

Katcat, can you elaborate a bit more please?  Not sure what you mean by "I would only use the eye cream unless you really want to add an oil over that".  As for moisturizer and oil, I tried the application moisturizer and then oil.  It just did not work for me.  Reversing those two with Hydroboost first, was the key.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I've just added an eye cream to my nightly routine of (in order) cleanse with Dove bar soap, Neutrogena Hydroboost Water Gel (L.O.V.E!!!), Rosehip Seed Oil and Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Night.  Just added Clinque All About Eyes Rich.  When should I apply this?  Right now I'm applying it after the HydroBoost (followed by Rosehip Seed Oil and moisturizer.  Thanks

Is your Neutragena Rapid Wrinkle Repair a serum or a moisturizer? I think they make both.

Serums should go under a moisturizer and oil should go last to seal everything in.

If your Wrinkle Repair is a serum, I would go:

Cleanser

Wrinkle Repair

Hydroboost

Eye cream

Oil to seal it all in.

If the Wrinkle Repair is a moisturizer I would go:

Cleanser

Wrinkle Repair

Eye Cream

Oil

If the Wrinkle Repair is a moisturizer and it's not moisturizing enough for you and you need both that and the Hydroboost moisturizer, I'd use the Hydroboost as if it were an Hyraluronic Acid serum and go:

Cleanser

Hydroboost

Wrinkle Repair

Eye Cream

Oil

I curently use a gel moisturizer an an HA serum and use a regular moistuizer over that and it works well. I use my other acids and serums under both moisturizers.

Honored Contributor

Re: Order of Application

[ Edited ]

Anything with active ingredients should go on first, for instance stuff which contains retinol or vitamin C.  Then apply the rest, from thinnest to thickest. Usually eye creams tend to be thick, so apply that last.

ETA - Oils are like sealants. They cover everything you've applied and helps your skin stay hydrated by providing it with a moisture barrier.

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm 

When you apply your skin care, don't you also apply around your eyes? Everything I put on my face, I also put around my eyes, just not on my eye lids. Then after that, I put on extra eye support in the form of eye cream, which may or may not be superfluous.

I have also read that oils should go on last. Tried it and (for me) it didn't work so I switched the moisturizer and oil order and felt a difference over night.

That is very interesting! According to just one study, "Natural oils possess penetration enhancing effects." -- some more than others, especially oils with a high oleic acid structure.

I like rose hip seed oil, too, but that is so-so on the oleic scale. I really don't have anything to adjust in my own routine just now, but I may switch things a bit in future.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa Yes, everything I apply on my face gets applied to the eye area as well.  That is why asked this question about the order of application now that I've added an eye cream.  I want to get the most benefit from it.  

Respected Contributor

All of these vendors always say thinnest to thickest. I have also heard that eye creams go on after any moisturizer. Have never heard the explanation of why the eye cream goes after the moisturizer. However, I have been doing that for years so I guess I am doing something right.