Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions please on ......jowls

1)  Sound like little sister has some issues. What you posted and taken at face value, she sounds jealous/bitter and is trying to drag you down with her. I've seen this with the women in my family; they say it "out of love" when, in reality, it's out of dislike for the person and want to see them feel pain.

2) Jowls may or may not occur with weight loss. it comes down to the face shape (bone structure), your muscle pattern due to the bone structure  and skin elasticity; ALL things you have NO control over (shape, muscle pattern and elasticity).

3) Surgery is the only thing that can fix jowls. Don't believe me? Research and ask those in the know (and I'm not talking JUST plastic surgeons). 

Now, jowls come in different levels and some CAN be firmed with topical firming products if they are not heavily pronounced (and reappear after the product is washed off.). Beyond that, it's surgery

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss. At age 71, most women have lost a lot of elasticity in their skin...face included. Gaining weight shouldn't make much difference in jowls, it's losing weight (therefore volume in the face) that will cause jowls to be more noticeable. There's an expression re: weight as we women age that "we have to choose between our face and our a--s". A little more weight adds volume to our faces, fills out jowls/wrinkles, but may add an extra pants size. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  Thanks.  I got that backwards,  but I have seen large women with some large jowls.  For what ever reason then put on fat in their neck and jaw lines, like Honey Boo Boo's mom.  Loosing that weight could cause some issues for women like her.  I'm not at that age, so I was basing mine on what women around here have.  Heavy face and neck, make for some ugly jowls that just jiggle, but I can see where loosing that fat would also make some serious jiggle.

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss  Understandable confusion. Everyone is different, but IMO weight loss make jowls worse.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Depending on how pronounced your jowls are, surgery is not the only option to get rid of them. I had laser skin tightening and this was big improvement on my sagging skin. Best to consult with a ps.

Jowls show up when skin gets loose and stretched. Weight gain/loss will do this. Once skin gets stretched from weight gain then there will be extra skin left over if weight is lost in that area. The older you get the less the skin can regain elasticity.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee What a great idea. I have a friend that had lasser lipsuction. She didn't want the full blown surgery or anesthia, so the laser was her option. It worked really well, but she was sore. Laser skin tightening sound like a great place to start before having full blown surgery.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your sister either sees something that you don't, or is trying to make you feel bad to make herself feel better. You had no concerns about jowls and now you are considering weight-loss for an issue that may not exist?

My opinion is weight-loss always makes jowls worse if you aren't under 30. My opinion is also that you should not even consider losing weight if it's to try to change your face. It should only be for your health and second, no one's face ever improves with weight-loss. It just sags and looks older.

Trusted Contributor

@kekes,

I agree with those that said that losing weight will increase the sagging in jowls.  The women in my family don't wrinkle, they sag, especially jowls.  My older sister lost a lot of weight and boy, did her face fall!  And not in a good way.  We are both in our 60's and it's true, after a certain age, you have to make a choice between your fanny or your face.  She chose her fanny, I chose my face, lol!

Your sister's comment to 'enjoy your beauty' is a passive-aggressive 'back-handed compliment'.  It's an insult that is disguised as a compliment, especially where the belittling or condescension is intentional.  Your sister has probably been making these snarky remarks her entire life, right?  Not sure why miserable people have to spread their misery around but that seems to be the way of the world.  Life is too short to be distressed by such rude and downright mean comments, just ignore, ignore, ignore.

Trusted Contributor

My sister always says losing weight in older age is a recipe for a lot of wrinkles, saggy skin, sunken cheeks. She's  tiny and has trouble keeping weight on. She's now 74 and just now showing issues.

I have to work at keeping weight off but also have lousy elasticity. I take care of my jowls and few wrinkles with the nuface.

I would like to ask peoples' opinions about something though.

I have a cousin who always had beautiful, tight, smooth skin. Not a blemish ever. Couldn't detect a single pore.

Hadn't seen her for a few years so was surprised when I saw what look like deep hash marks on her face. Almost as though someone slashed her with a knife but without any scars. 

Does anyone know why or how this happens? Never seen anyone else look like that and have been curious. So wierd.

Frequent Contributor

I am the op and I want to take the opportunity to thank all of you for your kind and very sharp observations! I feel better today, my sis has left and this is a New Year!

Happy New Year to you all!