Valued Contributor

Opinions on using Johnsons baby wash scented to wash your face?

I have fallen in love with the scent of Honey Apple and have used it several times to wash my face at night. I'm early fifties with combo to oily skin. It smells Devine, but do you think it's not a good idea to use it as facial wash every night? What are you beauty gals opinions? Thanks for any advice in advance...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opinions on using Johnsons baby wash scented to wash your face?

I personally would not pick out a face wash with fragrance added. There is no positive benefits to add fragrance into a facial cleansers, only negatives. I would choose an unscented baby wash and I do believe that Paula (Paulas Choice) even recommended Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo or body wash for a good facial cleanser. if I was choosing a baby cleanser to wash my face, I would choose Aveeno Cleansing Therapy Moisturizing Wash. That is a really good and gentle cleanser and super cheap. I do believe that J&J now owns Aveeno.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

I do not like cleansing my face with scented products. Cerave has a fragrance free baby wash and also facial wash for dry or oily skin.

Respected Contributor

if it gets your face clean and you aren't having any problems with the fragrance, use it. why not? there are no hard and fast rules about what you use. do what you like. Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

I think use of cosmetics and skin care is based 70% on their appeal to our senses (scent, appearance of product and packaging, feel in our hands), and 30% of results. 

(I just made those stats up -- but you get my drift.) 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

If you aren't having any issues with it, it is fine. I know it would dry out my oily skin, so watch for any signs of dryness. My eye area will start to look really old & I'll wonder why, add more moisturzer & then realize that my cleanser is too drying! If it's not breaking you out or drying you out, enjoy that fragrance & carry on.

Honored Contributor

I'm anti-fragrance in skin care products. Sort of. My beloved cleansing milk has a scent, one that I love. I've been using it for more than a year, so I guess I'm okay.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@10sluvr wrote:

if it gets your face clean and you aren't having any problems with the fragrance, use it. why not? there are no hard and fast rules about what you use. do what you like. Woman Happy

Because you don't always see when you are having problems. Like there may be no out and out reaction to fragrances allergy wise but it can just cause your skin to slow in regards to producing collagen.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@10sluvr wrote:

Because you don't always see when you are having problems. Like there may be no out and out reaction to fragrances allergy wise but it can just cause your skin to slow in regards to producing collagen.

I do try to avoid irritants but allow for them sometimes if they are at the end or almost the end of the deck. I've noticed that Beautypedia will sometimes do the same in its reviews. Thankfully, fragrance is usually in that position.

Now, if a particular scent is too strong for me or causes some immediate action, whether it's added or just comes from one or more of the ingredients, then it's off my list.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I don't think I would be inclined to try it. First of all, I cannot use scented products and IMO we're all probably better off without scents in our skincare products anyway,

I realize formulas of products change over the years, I don't know about Johnson & Johnson.  I'll tell you something my pediatrician told me 20 years ago when my babies were born.  He said even though the hopital used J & J baby products, he did not want me washing the babies skin or hair with them, he felt they were too stron and drying.  He told me to get a bottle of Dr. Bronner's baby soap for washing hair and bathing them.  I can tell you that we never had a skin eruption, dry, flaky skin, cradle cap, nothing at any time.  We never even had a diaper rash on them!  Now then, I don't know if I can attribute all of that to Dr. Bronner's baby soap or just good luck, but I used it on them until they were 3 years old.  After that I switched to another Dr. Bronner's mild soap which they both still use to this day.  Generally, it can only be found in health food stores or in the natural products of grocery stores.  I live in a small town and never had any trouble finding it.

It is a little bit more money than the J & J, but it comes in 16 to 32 oz. bottles and only takes a tiny bit.  I compared price to oz. one day and realized I was actually saving money using the Dr. Bronners.  You might want to try a bottle of his sensitive skin soap for washing your face.