Super Contributor

Re: Opinions on the state of my hair color

Thank you all for your thoughts! I always enjoy reading how we all think differently on a subject. I will certainly let you know what I decide and why!
Esteemed Contributor

I had my brown hair highlighted blond for years and years. I am 66. About two years ago I decided to stop coloring more as a experiment than anything else. my hair is short so it only took 3 cuts about 6 weeks apart to get all the color out. it turned out to be salt and pepper but more salt than pepper on top in the front. I was not happy with all the grey in the front so my hairdresser started doing partial low lights adding brown to the top to blend in with the pepper in the rest of my hair. As my hair has continued too go grey more area has to have the low lights added. I got compliments galore. Don't think that I will ever allow it to go completely grey. Some woman have lovely grey hair but I am not one of them. It washes me out. I need that darker color added in but at least I feel like my hair is now age appropriate. I have many dear friends my age who still highlight blond but it is obvious from their faces that that is not their natural color. I don't care for the blond hair with facial wrinkles. just unnatural looking.
Respected Contributor

Take a photo of your current hair color and compare it to a photo with you as a blonde. Make sure you're dressed relatively the same and with the same makeup. If one photo is dressy and the other casual it won't be a good comparison.

Analyze them objectively (how does the color of your hair and skin look together, what about the color of your eyes, do you look more "bright and alert", etc.), but see if either of the photos make you feel better looking at it. Is there an emotional response to one that is stronger than the other.

Super Contributor

Your husband sounds like a sweetheart and he clearly loves you very much. At least he cares how you look. I have friends whose husband's don't notice their hair or anything else and they complain to me about how their marriage is in a slump. So there is nothing controlling about your husband as some suggested. It's got to do with him loving an image of you that he likes....nothing more than that.Smile

That said, if your husband loves you as a blonde, why not re-evaluate? Mine recently told me he missed my blonde hair, so I made an appointment to bring it back to blonde. My hair grows a lot slower than it used to so the upkeep is far less than when I was younger.

Best of luck in whatever decision you make....Smile

Esteemed Contributor

How do you feel more beautiful???? I certainly would tell my husband if he didn't look good and he would give me his opinion about my appearance if it changed. I think early 60's is still young, some people look fabulous in their 60's and some look and act as if they are 100. Hair always make a big difference in our appearance. What is your REAL opinion of how you look?

Super Contributor

Thank you redconvertiblegirl, serenity4ever, and colliegirl! Your kind comments are so appreciated! I am definitely going to talk to my hairdresser, I am almost sure I will do something but not all the way blonde. I just don't feel like it is "me" anymore! I feel beautiful no matter what color my hair is, I do have good genes and have been blessed. 61 is not old but it is not young either, I don't think there is anything wrong with accepting and aging gracefully.
Respected Contributor

On 5/8/2014 jewelfool said: Thank you redconvertiblegirl, serenity4ever, and colliegirl! Your kind comments are so appreciated! I am definitely going to talk to my hairdresser, I am almost sure I will do something but not all the way blonde. I just don't feel like it is "me" anymore! I feel beautiful no matter what color my hair is, I do have good genes and have been blessed. 61 is not old but it is not young either, I don't think there is anything wrong with accepting and aging gracefully.

Oh gosh, 61 is still young! Whatever you do, you will be beautiful. Let us know what you decide.

Trusted Contributor

I met my husband with light brown hair. He saw pics of me with blonde hair and ask if I would want to lighten it again (whats up with men liking blondes). I started again until I got tired of highlights/ lowlights and the cost. In 2007 (whenever the economy went south our income dropped) to save money I let my natural color grow out. My hairdresser covers grey with my natural color, which is a lot darker now than when i met him. My husband asks if I am going to lighten it and I say no. He tells me he likes my color but he prefers me lighter. I have heard lighter hair helps you look younger.
Super Contributor

On 5/9/2014 springers said: I met my husband with light brown hair. He saw pics of me with blonde hair and ask if I would want to lighten it again (whats up with men liking blondes). I started again until I got tired of highlights/ lowlights and the cost. In 2007 (whenever the economy went south our income dropped) to save money I let my natural color grow out. My hairdresser covers grey with my natural color, which is a lot darker now than when i met him. My husband asks if I am going to lighten it and I say no. He tells me he likes my color but he prefers me lighter. I have heard lighter hair helps you look younger.

Not always, as it can make sure skin look paler.

Why don't you ask hubs if he'll color his hair to the shade you prefer? Smiley Wink