Valued Contributor

Re: Opinions on the state of my hair color

I am sure your hair is fine as it is, listen to yourself, not others.

Honored Contributor

If you are missing the blonde, but not the work, try a few highlights in the front. You can let them grow out at any time and they don't have to be touched up every month if you decide to keep them.

Valued Contributor

The only opinion that counts is YOURS. If you enjoy the freedom that comes with no longer coloring your hair, and providing you like the way it looks, then that's all that matters.

As a result of chemo last summer I lost all my hair and when it started to grow back I was concerned about what I'd end up with. Turns out that it's a great mix of salt and pepper which I love and which I happen to think compliments my skin. For various reasons, most important of which was trying to limit the amount of things artificial to my body, I have decided to let it alone. With the exception of one friend, everyone who knew me before I lost my hair tells me how much better it looks in it's natural state, especially since I finally have some length again.

Do what makes you happy jewelfool, no one is more important than YOU.

Maria

Respected Contributor

Your husband sounds like a wonderful guy!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

If you're missing the blonde, how about just a few highlights for the summer months then go back to natural? Get it done one time.

Super Contributor

On 5/8/2014 curlywhitedog said:

The only opinion that counts is YOURS. If you enjoy the freedom that comes with no longer coloring your hair, and providing you like the way it looks, then that's all that matters.

As a result of chemo last summer I lost all my hair and when it started to grow back I was concerned about what I'd end up with. Turns out that it's a great mix of salt and pepper which I love and which I happen to think compliments my skin. For various reasons, most important of which was trying to limit the amount of things artificial to my body, I have decided to let it alone. With the exception of one friend, everyone who knew me before I lost my hair tells me how much better it looks in it's natural state, especially since I finally have some length again.

Maria

Thank you, Maria, for reminding me that there is nothing more important than being blessed with good health! I hope you are doing well! This silly banter of what color my hair should be is insignificant compared to what you and others on this board have battled! Just what I needed today.

Valued Contributor

On 5/8/2014 jewelfool said:
On 5/8/2014 curlywhitedog said:

Maria

Thank you, Maria, for reminding me that there is nothing more important than being blessed with good health! I hope you are doing well! This silly banter of what color my hair should be is insignificant compared to what you and others on this board have battled! Just what I needed today.

jewelfool:

I'm doing great, so far so good, you are very kind to ask. My experience showed me the importance of being healthy but it also showed me the importance of being happy. If both of those things exist in one's life then really, not much else is important. Wear your hair how it pleases you, I'm sure you'll look beautiful no matter what you decide.

Maria

Respected Contributor

On 5/8/2014 jewelfool said:

I swear, I wouldn't even tell someone I don't like something about them if they ASKED me, I'm amazed that your best friends and family feel they have the right to just state their opinion of you without you even asking! I'm no one's doormat, so whatever I do, I will do for ME for sure...just curious as to everyone's opinion of the whole situation.

That's me, too…. I'll offer an opinion if asked AND it's not past the point of no return. Otherwise, I'll always find something supportive to say. BUT, I do appreciate hearing the truth from others.

Here's a thought… you could offer to shave your head to look more like your husband's! {#emotions_dlg.devil2} The thought of that might make him appreciate your new look! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Seriously, though, it sounds like you have a wonderful husband! We should all be so lucky. Since you do like the blonde, and it makes him happier, you could go back to coloring, or you could just leave it just the way it is to make your life easier. Follow your gut on this one. Oh, and have a great vacation!

Trusted Contributor

I agree with the others to do what you want to do. But an easy compromise is to get blonde highlights. That's what I do and they only have to be repeated every couple of months. Well maybe more often depending how often you get your hair cut.

Honored Contributor

On 5/8/2014 gazelle77 said:

I can not believe that there are husbands who say how they want you to wear your hair!??? Really? How controlling!

There absolutely are. Some are controlling, but some just don't like change because it makes them uncomfortable. That's especially true as people age. I don't think there's anything malicious about that.

I think it's time for the OP to have an honest conversation with the husband about why she chooses not to color her hair and see what he says. That will determine if he's controlling or not, not his opinion.

I don't understand why people say those things. If someone told she liked me better when I was X, Y, or Z, I'd have a really hard time not replying that I liked her better when she respected my choices. If the person persisted in giving me his or her opinion, I'm sure that's exactly what I'd say.

Super Contributor

I have to laugh when women think that when a wife does something her husband suggests it is "obeying" and giving in to her husband's wishes. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}I like looking good for myself but also for my DH which doesn't mean that I automatically do what he likes but if he were to suggest going blond I would certainly give some thought to maybe making some kind of change, not doing something so drastic or time consuming as a double process (I think that's what you're talking about?) So why not just do a shade or two lighter than your natural color and you'd be covering the gray at the same time. Personally I think most women look better with a shade or two lighter as they get older. All it would take is a box of color. I've been doing that for 10 years now and I also put highlights in after I color. It's not a hassle at all and I have long hair.