Super Contributor

Opinions on the state of my hair color

I am one of the posters that said she was going with her natural color and live with it. I stopped coloring my hair this time last year and since I wear it pretty short, it didn't take long for me to be my natural color which is mostly dark streaked with gray. I have had some compliments on it and I've been pretty contented with it until now......I don't know if it is spring and "blonde" weather but I've had more negative comments lately from people that I would look so much better and younger if I go back to blonde...one of those commenters is my DH. Right before I left for my GF vacation he told me I should have my hair colored when I get back. I don't care about him saying that...he's always been honest about that kind of stuff...I am just torn. I, too, like to be a blonde, but I'm NOT a blonde, I'm 61 and frankly, I've enjoyed the freedom of not doing two sets of color so often. Opinions?

Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions on the state of my hair color

Do what you want to do....I'd like to quit coloring my hair but it's because I pretty thrifty and hate spending the money.....I do not think I would look with grey hair so therefore I continue to color.

Super Contributor

I like you went short and in 10 months have silver hair. You know, if you go blond, it will be easier upkeep than say doing a dark color and having to worry about white roots.

I understand your dilemma. I wish people would just keep their opinions on what WE SHOULD DO to them selves.... but, once the negative comment is said, it does affect our feeling on ourselves. If your hair makes you unhappy each time you look in the mirror... than do what you need to do to make yourself feel good. Perhaps some kind of frost or highlights that you would not have to retouch for months would not be so bad. Good luck in whatever decision you make, just be sure you are doing it for YOU and not that rude thoughtless "friend".

Contributor

I'm about 50% gray with an ugly mousy brown color. I have been using boxed hair color for over 20 years!

Anyway, I use a natural light brown shade - this is important, because several brands of boxed color say warm, cool or natural. On me, warms become brassy and cools are a weird greenish brown shade. The natural is perfect. So what this does is allow my gray hair to become natural highlights, and as the color gradually fades (over several weeks) the highlights get very nice.

My hair always looks nice - a nice rich light brown shade when first colored, then fades into pretty highlights gradually. I color every six to eight weeks, and spend $8-10 each time. I have used Loreal Feria, Loreal Preference and garnier. I like them all, but probably the Feria is my favorite.

Hope this perspective helps. I love my system!!

Super Contributor

Sounds like your color is so dark they double process it? I don't blame you for not wanting to color anymore.

If you like the way you look, its your hair not your husband's! If he pushes the issue tell him to get a whiffle.

Respected Contributor

They'll get used to it. If you're happy with it then leave it the way it is.

Honored Contributor

I think any one who would criticize another person's hair color choice is not someone I would give a fig about. Now, like the OP, if my DH preferred my hair was a different color he would tell me so. Thus, it is up to the OP if she wants the freedom of not coloring or the hassles to please her hubby.

Super Contributor

The funniest thing is my husband is bald! I tell him when he gets hair, he MIGHT can then have an opinion as to what to do with mine.

I have an 83 year old mother that still colors her hair blonde.....I just don't want to look like that....like I'm trying too hard it seems. I'll talk to my hairdresser when I go and see what her opinion of the options are. Thank you all!

Super Contributor

At the end of the day, it is YOUR hair, YOUR decision. While I do think in general, white/gray hair is the number 1 thing that ages you. But if YOU like the way your hair is, YOU don't want to do the blonde thing anymore for whatever reason, do what YOU want! It never ceases to amaze me how people (and yes, even husbands and friends) feel the need to tell you what's wrong with you or your looks in their opinion. I didn't take that kind of personal criticism well when I was in my 20s and I sure don't take it well now at 60! Try telling your your husband you want him to bulk up and go to the gym every day.

Super Contributor

I swear, I wouldn't even tell someone I don't like something about them if they ASKED me, I'm amazed that your best friends and family feel they have the right to just state their opinion of you without you even asking! I'm no one's doormat, so whatever I do, I will do for ME for sure...just curious as to everyone's opinion of the whole situation.