Respected Contributor

Re: Opinions on Timeless Vit C serum, please

Love it. I also liked PC, but it's definitely more expensive. I wish more people would use a DE type bottle, but oh well. I actually bought some Amber pump bottles on Amazon and transfer half the bottle in when I get it, and store the other half in the fridge. It lasts longer this way. I had no irritation with it. I'm not presently using it, but will add it to my order the next time I order from them. If you sign up for emails, they run a 50% off over $75 purchase a few times a year, and I replenish my serums then. HTH!!

Respected Contributor

I like it too. Although, I just started using c serums so I don't have anything to compare it too.  I am also using drunken elephants c serum at the same time. I like them both.  The timeless serum is nice, no irritation at all.  I have had it for a few months in the fridge and it has not oxidized yet. I don't feel any tackiness either. 

Valued Contributor

I have been using Timeless for about a year and a half.  Really really like it.  I started with Skinceuticals version and just couldn't do the $100 price tag.  Timeless with Ferulic has exactly the same ingredients and potency for a fraction of the price.  With the discount from HotandFlashy my bottle comes to $19.  I don't do the refrigerator/aluminum foil routine because I don't like having to go to the kitchen once I start my morning ritual.  The bottle lasts me between 2-3 months before it begins to change color at all. So at 2 months that is about .31 a day and if I get 3 months out of it it is about .21 a day.  I am an advocate of VitC. 

Valued Contributor

PS:  I like Paula's Choice products a lot.....but her VitC does not have the potency of Timeless.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tucsongal wrote:

I switched to Timeless because of the positive reviews and price. I'm happy with it but I don't keep it in the refrigerator because I have enough steps to my skin care routine  without running to the kitchen, LOL. I am also trying out their hyaluronic acid and Dark circle eye cream.

I keep the bigger bottle in refrigerator and just refill a small one (from a little black dropper bottler of a Genefique sample) every 2-3 weeks or so.  Keeps beautifully with no oxidation and no running back and forth to kitchen in the morning.

Respected Contributor

I'm using Avalon Organics Vitamin C serum at the moment but it doesn't have a good review on Beautypedia. I've been using it for a few months now and I can't say I'm seeing any benefits from it but neither am I experiencing any ill effects.

Respected Contributor

I watched the Hot & Flashy video and noticed that Angie says she used to throw out the product once it oxidized. Ok, this might be a stupid question (Chemistry was never my forte) but, is the product useless once it oxidizes? Does it no longer have any benefits?

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse  Yes. At least that's what I've been told for years. 

The problem that the moment you expose a product to air, it begins to break down. Knowing this, I won't use a Vit C that comes in a bottle or anything that is opened to air and light (which a dropper is). The Drunk Elephant line has the ideal dispensing system as it's airtight and only lets out the few drops you need plus is completely protected from any sunlight.

Adding on: I wish ALL creams came in that push-down top that only expels what you need; keeps everything away from germs, light, etc. (Kate Somerville and SKINN have this with many of their jars).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Texasmouse wrote:

I watched the Hot & Flashy video and noticed that Angie says she used to throw out the product once it oxidized. Ok, this might be a stupid question (Chemistry was never my forte) but, is the product useless once it oxidizes? Does it no longer have any benefits?

@Texasmouse,

I am a chemist, but not an expert in skincare.Woman Very Happy I have been making my own vitamin C serum for a very long time. One way to detect that your serum is not effective is by looking for color change to brown. Another way is to check the pH of the serum with pH test strips which you can buy at the drug store. Most fresh, effective and potent C serums range from in pH of 2.5 to 3.5 for common l-ascorbic varieties. Any pH outside this range usually means it will not perform.  The pH of C serum is the most important feature regarding its efficacy. Too low and it will irritate skin and not absorb. Too high means it will not absorb at all and when the pH goes up it can be seen visually as the brown color.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee

Thank you for your comprehensive explanation. Given the instability of Vitamin C, one would think people would look for alternative, more stable "acids" to give them the results they seek. Is there nothing that can be substituted for Vitamin C or does it have unique benefits?