Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions On Olaplex Haircare

@Icegoddess wrote:

I think you may have at least one of your numbers or descriptions wrong.  #3 is not a pre-treatment.  It is considered at-home maintenance after having #1 & #2 treatments at the hairdresser.  #0 thru #3 are not conditioners, they are bond builders meant to be used in conjunction with chemical services which break the bonds.  If you have not had a chemical service, they may be worthless to you.  #0 & #3 can be used together for a little boost to #3 only.  I only use these products since all the Olaplex products with a number above #3 have silicones which I avoid.

@Icegoddess from what I have read #3 goes on damp towel dried hair for at least 10 minutes or more. You then follow with the shampoo and conditioner. I know products #1 and #2 are only used in a salon, I thought you can use #3 without having the salon treatment. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I think you may have at least one of your numbers or descriptions wrong.  #3 is not a pre-treatment.  It is considered at-home maintenance after having #1 & #2 treatments at the hairdresser.  #0 thru #3 are not conditioners, they are bond builders meant to be used in conjunction with chemical services which break the bonds.  If you have not had a chemical service, they may be worthless to you.  #0 & #3 can be used together for a little boost to #3 only.  I only use these products since all the Olaplex products with a number above #3 have silicones which I avoid.

@Icegoddess from what I have read #3 goes on damp towel dried hair for at least 10 minutes or more. You then follow with the shampoo and conditioner. I know products #1 and #2 are only used in a salon, I thought you can use #3 without having the salon treatment. 

@Jordan2 You CAN use #3 as a stand-alone treatment, although I don't know whether it is worth it or not. I've just never heard it called a pre-treatment.   I have used it in the past as a stand-alone and saw no benefit.  It is meant to be used as maintenance after using #1 & #2.  Now, I was  impressed with it when I used it after using #1 & #2 when I colored and then mid-way between colorings used #0 & #3.  I was very impressed with #1 & #2 used as part of my color process.   BTW, I have a thread on my experience with these products I posted a little bit ago.  I don't remember the exact title, but something like A Hair Product that Actually Worked or something along those lines.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have super-fine, color treated hair and I've used the Olaplex shampoo #4 (LOVE!! -- beautiful fragrance, non-drying) and conditioner #5 for months.  I admit being influenced by YT-influencers.   Gradually I've added ALL the products in the line (I colored my own hair during the pandemic, and after an unwanted "purple hair" experience the first time my hairdresser resumed coloring it, I'm now again coloring it myself!) 

My only objection is I have to set aside most of an afternoon with all the 10 min. waiting times:  Apply #0, wait 10 min.; apply #3, wait 10 min.;  shampoo and dry hair, apply haircolor mixed with #1, wait 40 min.; apply #2, wait 10 min.;  shampoo, apply mask #8, wait 10 min., apply #6 & #7 and style; and ... I'm done; WHEW!  This takes patience I have to dig deep to find!

Thing is, when I'm finished, my hair looks great!  I've eliminated all other styling products (e.g., mousse, treatment oil, etc.), which I suppose off-sets some of the cost.  If I were new to the line I'd start with #4 (shampoo), #5 (conditioner -- leave on 3 min. 👏🏻), and #6 mixed with #7 for styling.

I was skeptical to begin -- the price, so many products, but you should try it yourself to see the results.

ETA:  Nordies is great about returns, but I can't imagine you'll hate it.

Lola
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess I looked for your thread A Product That Actually Delivered, your curls and color are very nice. I am so on the fence about purchasing the set. Having never tried the #1 and #2 at a salon , the #3 would probably be okay for me. I have a lob, it reaches my collarbone, I have been told by my stylist my hair is fine but I have a lot of it and I have a wave to my hair. If this helped tame frizz, I would most definitely be in. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

These products are outstanding.... Really superior. I wish they didn't cost so much, but they're worth the price.

Honored Contributor

@WhateverLolaWants I don't use #0 & #3 on the same day as #1 & #2.  I use 1 & 2 when I color and 0 & 3 about midway between colors.  Since I've started coloring in the evening that using all those would take all night, plus I think it's a bit overkill.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 is your hair damaged?  If not, then I wouldn't expect much.  I really don't think the products you mentioned will help with just frizz.  I think there is an oil in the line that another poster mentioned that helped with her frizz.  If you don't avoid silicones like I do, that might be the product for you.

Honored Contributor

I decided to purchase the set on Nordstrom. I had a $10.00 note so I applied it. I read up on the products, pretty much all favorable reviews and many celebrities use the products. I hope I like it!

Super Contributor

@Icegoddess, yes, it does take a lot of time -- I'm daunted by how many towels and hair wraps I use in one afternoon.  I only recently started using the whole gamut (except #5) on coloring days, thinking it would be "too much" for my fine hair, but it really seems to love it and the results tell me it's the right regimen.  I do nothing other than #4 & #5 with #6 & #7 between coloring.

Lola
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm  just seeing this thread. But I wanted to say that I recently started using this line and I love what it has done for my hair! These are the first products that I have ever used that literally did exactly what they said they would do! I saw a difference in my hair with the first treatment! I use #'s 0, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. Love all of them! I found them by Googling the issues I was having with my hair. My once very thick, curly hair has become thinning and fine. It was dry with a lot of breakage, no body, wouldn't hold a curl(even after wet setting on rollers)no shine and was very soft and frizzy, like cotton candy. I'd  seen these products at my salon but never asked my stylist about it. Since Covid, I stopped going regularly and decided to stop blow drying my hair and wearing it more in it's natural curly state. I still roller set it, to cut down on frizz and let it hair dry. I've only used the products 4 times so far because I only wash once a week. My ethic hair can't stand more. I saw a big difference the very first time I used them! Shine, body, curl, no frizz and healthy looking and FEELING of the texture of my hair! I love these products so much, I've thrown everything else out!( and I had a lot! Lol!) All except my Paul Mitchell, original leave in conditioner. I love it also! It's lightweight and I use it lightly on my ends, edges and to keep my flyaways down!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran