Respected Contributor

Re: One of the hosts used the word

I heard the same thing as OP and must say I was taken aback......can't remember who said it, but it shouldn't have been said.
Trusted Contributor

Not reading anything into it. Shut the front door is a nice way of saying: shut the **** up. Just as suspected, most here dont know this.
Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

@HULAGIRL Thanks. PS sorry for the blank response above. Sometimes when I attempt to go to the next page in a thread (from my iPhone) it jumps to the "post" button and posts a blank response.
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@Shaunac wrote:
Not reading anything into it. Shut the front door is a nice way of saying: shut the **** up. Just as suspected, most here dont know this.

It might indeed mean that in some contexts. But as I posted from Urban Dictionary, it also means an utterance of amazement.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

"Shut the front door!" and "Get out of town!" are both slang for something hard to believe.  Remember when Elaine used to shove Jerry and the other guys on Seinfeld and shout, "Get OUT!"?  Someone already touched on this, but there are folks here who try to make a problem when there is none. (A national cookie commercial - Oreos, I think - used "Shut the front door!" recently.  I doubt the FCC would let someone use figurative language for STFU in a cookie commercial.)

Trusted Contributor

Here comes the word police, now. They should be able to sort this out.

Animated-flashing-police-car-icon.gif

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Esteemed Contributor

Was it used in the phrase "super freakin' out" item that someone likes to constantly say?

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Shaunac wrote:

It might indeed mean that in some contexts. But as I posted from Urban Dictionary, it also means an utterance of amazement.

Also seems that you did not know the UD definition.  I somehow can not perceive "shut the front door" as offensive as "shut the .... ".  Just not in the same league.