Respected Contributor

Re: On the FDA Watch Really

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

I've yet to hear of other vendors at QVC who currently have products on the FDA Watch List.

@Jacie

Perhaps you missed these.  

For obvious reasons I won't post brand names.

B which had pollen in it and sent several people to the ER (myself included).

N which contained a known carcinogen already on the warning list.

Both were quietly pulled from the market once the FDA completed their review. 

And you know what?  I've yet to hear any hoopla, or even see a thread here on the BB about it.  I wonder why?

I was on the site this morning, Chaz Dean's name was the only CURRENT QVC vendor name mentioned on the current watch list.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

I've yet to hear of other vendors at QVC who currently have products on the FDA Watch List.

@Jacie

And you know what?  I've yet to hear any hoopla, or even see a thread here on the BB about it.  I wonder why?

@Drythe why not post brand names? I don't get it?

Respected Contributor

@PinkieBelle wrote:

1.  Out of the hundreds of thousands if not millions that use Wen, there have been only 127 reports.  That not much at all.  And if there are millions that use it, 21000 may not be a big percentage either.

2.  Whenever you start using a new product, you should always be on the lookout for any reactions.  I would bet that most (if not all) of the folks that had adverse effects had paid attention in the early days when they used it, they would have stopped using it and the effects would have been minimized if not eliminated.

3.  I never did understand why there is menthol in the cleansing conditioner.  Could this be the culprit?

That is very good advise.  I believe  people do not stop till its too late for they buy  into the convincing sales pitch's for this product.  Not just WEN but  any product  sold  that has a great marketing pitch.  

You are right. You should  stop using a product if you notice an adverse side effect.  I think menthol is part of it.  The wen that has a lot of menthol ( cucumber, lavender)  greatly burned my scalp. It was painful  but the other wen products with lower menthol content  or none at all ( wen kids)  did not burn my scalp.  I had a massive ( and I do mean very massive) allergic reaction to the tea tree. My face, hands, neck  turned red as a lobster and itched like crazy  then I tried an experiment and took allergy medication  for a period of time and tried the tea tree again while on allergy medication and I had no bad reaction.

Wen is not necessarily a bad product that needs to be removed from the market. I just feel that people should use more common since  meaning if it hurts you stop using it. I think it should continue  to be sold for  many people use it with no bad side effects  BUT there needs to be a warning on the label. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kcladyz wrote:

@PinkieBelle wrote:

1.  Out of the hundreds of thousands if not millions that use Wen, there have been only 127 reports.  That not much at all.  And if there are millions that use it, 21000 may not be a big percentage either.

2.  Whenever you start using a new product, you should always be on the lookout for any reactions.  I would bet that most (if not all) of the folks that had adverse effects had paid attention in the early days when they used it, they would have stopped using it and the effects would have been minimized if not eliminated.

3.  I never did understand why there is menthol in the cleansing conditioner.  Could this be the culprit?

That is very good advise.  I believe  people do not stop till its too late for they buy  into the convincing sales pitch's for this product.  Not just WEN but  any product  sold  that has a great marketing pitch.  

You are right. You should  stop using a product if you notice an adverse side effect.  I think menthol is part of it.  The wen that has a lot of menthol ( cucumber, lavender)  greatly burned my scalp. It was painful  but the other wen products with lower menthol content  or none at all ( wen kids)  did not burn my scalp.  I had a massive ( and I do mean very massive) allergic reaction to the tea tree. My face, hands, neck  turned red as a lobster and itched like crazy  then I tried an experiment and took allergy medication  for a period of time and tried the tea tree again while on allergy medication and I had no bad reaction.

Wen is not necessarily a bad product that needs to be removed from the market. I just feel that people should use more common since  meaning if it hurts you stop using it. I think it should continue  to be sold for  many people use it with no bad side effects  BUT there needs to be a warning on the label. 

There is already. However, it is pretty crazy that basic common sense seems to be missing in many people and that people need to be told to discontinue use if an adverse reaction occurs.

And if you feel menthol is a culprit for hair loss and irritation, you should let your college friend who swears by Nioxin know as menthol is VERY high in the ingredients of the shampoos (as well as irritating peppermit oil) and conditioners,  much higher than in WEN. I wouldn't think menthol would be in targeted hair thinning/loss shampoos if it were the culprit ,would it? Especially as high in the ingredient list as it is in those products.

Honored Contributor

@sailor_moon wrote:

Hair dyes, perms, relaxers etc. can cause hair loss in some individuals, so where's the outrage and demand for recalls concerning these products?

Yes and I fail to understand how people can be proof positive it is the Wen. There is always the chance that they have hair loss for hormonal reasons or they have thyroid issues and they just happened to be using Wen at the time. It will be very difficult to prove it is the Wen because it could be coincidental.

I heard Loreal also had issues with one of their products and Fructis serum if a consumer used it with a hot iron, it could cause a fire and extensive burns. Where is the outrage.....I have never read anything here about these serious issues. Just Wen....hmm.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

@Jacie

@HappyDaze

What's up with you? 

I chose not to, a)  because I don't feel it's important to the point I making that there have been others and b)  to avoid blow up on this thread.

I'll stand with that.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

@Jacie

@HappyDaze

What's up with you? 

I chose not to, a)  because I don't feel it's important to the point I making that there have been others and b)  to avoid blow up on this thread.

I'll stand with that.

@Drythe Okay that is certainly your prerogative- I just think it would make it more interesting and compelling to know what brands have been pulled. Not sure why anyone would blow up about a brand that was pulled by the FDA but then I've been quite shocked at what people blow up about on these forums. 

And not sure what you mean by what is up with me. I'm thinking(sensing?) you didn't mean that in a caring, sincere way  when I was simply curious why you wouldn't share what brands were pulled?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

@Jacie

@HappyDaze

What's up with you? 

I'll stand with that.

@Drythe Okay that is certainly your prerogative- I just think it would make it more interesting and compelling to know what brands have been pulled. Not sure why anyone would blow up about a brand that was pulled by the FDA but then I've been quite shocked at what people blow up about on these forums. 

And not sure what you mean by what is up with me. I'm thinking(sensing?) you didn't mean that in a caring, sincere way  when I was simply curious why you wouldn't share what brands were pulled?

@HappyDaze

In my speech "What is up with you" means ~ what have you been doing, how are you, anything interesting happening in your life?

If I had not meant it in a caring or sincere way I would have said ~ Why would you ask me that, are you picking on me, are you saying I should have posted the brands?

I am Sorry, I thought we 'knew' each other better.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@sailor_moon wrote:

Hair dyes, perms, relaxers etc. can cause hair loss in some individuals, so where's the outrage and demand for recalls concerning these products?

@sailor_moon

Nope .... I don't hear any outrage for these items ..... just Wen outrage.

Honored Contributor

@untitled wrote:

okay then well I say there is beaucoup "shampoo" money behind this propaganda campaign.

@untitled

Good point ........   I wouldn't be surprised if there's "shampoo money" behind that!