Trusted Contributor

Re: On the FDA Watch Really

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

By the way, anyone know what "zombie" hair is??

@HappyDaze,  I'm guessing it's wild, uncontrollable, and often frizzy/dry hair.

Zombie hair

Without the right styling methods, mine would be like this but curlier.

@suzyQ3, that doesn't look like zombie hair, it looks more like post "bumping uglies" hair.

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Esteemed Contributor

I am not a Wen user. I am happy with my current shampoo and conditioner and I just choose not to use a cleansing conditioner as I feel it would not be enough to cleanse my hair.

Having said that, there isn't an ingredient in Wen that isn't in hundreds of other shampoos and conditioners. Not one. 

There probably hasn't been a skin, hair or beauty product on the market that hasn't given an allergic or bad reaction to some users. There have been lawsuits for most beauty companies at some point.

I work for dermatologists and finding the cause of hair loss is one of the most difficult things derms do and much of the time, there is no cause found. There are hundreds of reasons this could happen. Finding definitive proof isn't that easy.

What will most likely happen is that Wen will offer a settlement and more than likely not because they are guilty of causing hair loss but because it is just cheaper. It is done everyday.

Since the "natural" beauty thing has been becoming more en vogue, there have been many more cases of dermatitis and other skin conditions diagnosed where I work. Most companies jump on the natural band wagon and throw in a couple of essential oils and keep much of the synthetic ingredients in the formula, yet pander to those who erroneously believe natural ingredients are safer.

Wen has sold millions and millions of products. The amount in this suit are a very small percentage of their customers. There just isn't an ingredient on the market that everyone can use. That is a fact. 

I think if a person used this once and had a good amount of hair fall out, they would have a case if they could prove that Wen was the cause. Proving it was Wen that caused this will be difficult but like I said to avoid huge legal costs, this will be settled out of court. I don't understand people who used this for months or years and expect a settlement. How does it not occur to you that hair loss is being caused by the very thing your cleanse your hair with?

I am no fan of Wen. I am not usually into trends and cleansing conditioners is one trend I didn't understand or want to try but I think this whole is being blown out of proportion. There isn't a shampoo on the market that hasn't been accused of hair loss, dermatitis or some sort of allergic reaction. 

If I was using Wen and was happy with it, I certainly wouldn't stop because of this. If that were the case, you would have to stop using about every shampoo/conditioner/beauty product you were happy with because at some point they have had unhappy users write to them and the FDA and even file suit. Pantene, Suave and about every major brand of shampoo has had this happen.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@sailor_moon wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

By the way, anyone know what "zombie" hair is??

@HappyDaze,  I'm guessing it's wild, uncontrollable, and often frizzy/dry hair.

Zombie hair

Without the right styling methods, mine would be like this but curlier.

@suzyQ3, that doesn't look like zombie hair, it looks more like post "bumping uglies" hair.

Hahaha... well, I found it by googling "zombie hair," so maybe they're one and the same.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I am not a Wen user. I am happy with my current shampoo and conditioner and I just choose not to use a cleansing conditioner as I feel it would not be enough to cleanse my hair.

Having said that, there isn't an ingredient in Wen that isn't in hundreds of other shampoos and conditioners. Not one. 

There probably hasn't been a skin, hair or beauty product on the market that hasn't given an allergic or bad reaction to some users. There have been lawsuits for most beauty companies at some point.

I work for dermatologists and finding the cause of hair loss is one of the most difficult things derms do and much of the time, there is no cause found. There are hundreds of reasons this could happen. Finding definitive proof isn't that easy.

What will most likely happen is that Wen will offer a settlement and more than likely not because they are guilty of causing hair loss but because it is just cheaper. It is done everyday.

Since the "natural" beauty thing has been becoming more en vogue, there have been many more cases of dermatitis and other skin conditions diagnosed where I work. Most companies jump on the natural band wagon and throw in a couple of essential oils and keep much of the synthetic ingredients in the formula, yet pander to those who erroneously believe natural ingredients are safer.

Wen has sold millions and millions of products. The amount in this suit are a very small percentage of their customers. There just isn't an ingredient on the market that everyone can use. That is a fact. 

I think if a person used this once and had a good amount of hair fall out, they would have a case if they could prove that Wen was the cause. Proving it was Wen that caused this will be difficult but like I said to avoid huge legal costs, this will be settled out of court. I don't understand people who used this for months or years and expect a settlement. How does it not occur to you that hair loss is being caused by the very thing your cleanse your hair with?

I am no fan of Wen. I am not usually into trends and cleansing conditioners is one trend I didn't understand or want to try but I think this whole is being blown out of proportion. There isn't a shampoo on the market that hasn't been accused of hair loss, dermatitis or some sort of allergic reaction. 

If I was using Wen and was happy with it, I certainly wouldn't stop because of this. If that were the case, you would have to stop using about every shampoo/conditioner/beauty product you were happy with because at some point they have had unhappy users write to them and the FDA and even file suit. Pantene, Suave and about every major brand of shampoo has had this happen.

Excellent post!

The article I read said that it is the MOST complaints they've ever gotten about this type of product.  Consider that QVC alone has sold MILLIONS of bottles, you would have a certain percentage that would claim a problem.  They should look into it though.

You are so right that hair loss can really be a mystery in many cases.

If I loved the stuff, I would just keep on using it.  I would stop using it if one even SUSPECTED it caused a problem.

They will probably settle some cases.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 You've made alot of great points, many of which I've said before and the bolded I"ve said  a billion times but no one seems to listen or some claim maybe WEN contains more concentration of certain ingredients (like menthol) than others, all of which I've disproved but perhaps you saying it might get through to some. I think perhaps some just think because I use WEN that I am just defending the product (and ignoring the facts I stated) so it is nice to hear the same things from non-WEN users too. So thank you for simply stating the facts.

Contributor

I agree.  I don 't understand why people keep using a product if it's giving them problems.

some products are simply not for everyone.  Almay make up  and a couple other products used to cause break outs on my skin so I stopped using them.  There is no reason to sue Almay

That's why there are millions of products on the market because everyone is different. I've never had a problem with wen but that could be that I switch it out with another shampoo every three weeks or so.  If  I did have a problem with wen then I would immediately stop using it.  There is no reason to sue unless there's arsenic or some kind of weird poison in it and they know the poison was there but didn't care.

Esteemed Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 - Great post. From a Wen user to a Non-Wen user, THANK YOU!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I had a dollar for every beauty product that I reacted badly to, I would be a wealthy women.  I never, ever considered suing anybody,

I had a problem with WEN and I immediately stopped using it.  End of story.  

There are many happy WEN users. Nothing is bad for everyone,  Nothing is good for everyone.

Respected Contributor

@sailor_moon wrote:

@Imadickens wrote:

What is Androgenic Alopecia? I know Alopecia, what us this type?

Men and women with, androgenetic alopecia, carry a gene that causes male or female pattern hair loss. In rare cases, some women can suffer from male pattern baldness. 👴🏻

Unless someone can say ,with absolute certainty, that hair loss or hair thinning has never occurred on their maternal or paternal side of the family, they can't rule out the possibility of hereditary hair loss.

Ahh, thank you! Well, both my parents had full heads of hair (until mom had chemo) as did both grandmothers. Grandfathers...that's a whole different story!🙄

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@sailor_moon wrote:

@Imadickens wrote:

What is Androgenic Alopecia? I know Alopecia, what us this type?

Men and women with, androgenetic alopecia, carry a gene that causes male or female pattern hair loss. In rare cases, some women can suffer from male pattern baldness. 👴🏻

Unless someone can say ,with absolute certainty, that hair loss or hair thinning has never occurred on their maternal or paternal side of the family, they can't rule out the possibility of hereditary hair loss.

Just and fyi...there is also a form of alopecia associated with diabetes and it can come on over time.

And yet more good news!😩

Never underestimate the power of kindness.