Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I remember when this product first came out and read a review from Paula.  She said there was nothing in the product that could clean and didn't recommend. 

Later, she changed her review for some reason.  

@Sunshine Kate

Perhaps she tried it for herself and had the same great results many of us have experienced.

I don't think hair loss is a great result.  Woman Frustrated

No, it's not a great result....but many thousands of us have used WEN with NO hair loss and it has, in fact, much improved our hair. I'm one of those whose hair is much healthier since using WEN!

@vermint

I have also had great results with Wen and no thinning of hair whatsoever.   To me, that means it's a good product and I have no sensitivities to any of the ingredients.

However, I have had sensitivities to other products and do what any other intelligent woman would do ..... I stop using them.   People need to use common sense when trying new products.    

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

I'll stand with that.

@Drythe Okay that is certainly your prerogative- I just think it would make it more interesting and compelling to know what brands have been pulled. Not sure why anyone would blow up about a brand that was pulled by the FDA but then I've been quite shocked at what people blow up about on these forums. 

And not sure what you mean by what is up with me. I'm thinking(sensing?) you didn't mean that in a caring, sincere way  when I was simply curious why you wouldn't share what brands were pulled?

@HappyDaze, I seem to recall that one of the products was that Be Alive Royal Jelly (or Bee Alive) that was sold on QVC and essentially pulled after some FDA problems and possibly even a lawsuit.

I also recall there were issues with the For Women Only weightloss items sold by Dr. Shari Lieberman.  I think those were also quietly pulled from the air after some problems. 

Not sure if those are the products being referred to here or not.

@Lipstickdiva thank you for sharing that. I think I remember that Bee product. I think it would be interesting if there was a place online where you can go to view all the products the FDA pulled off the market over the years (maybe even able to sort through by a particular year) and why they pulled it. Maybe there is I just don't know about it. I know you can find that information on dog food and treat recalls over the years so it seems like human products would also have something similar.

Honored Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

Like so many other products that have side effects, example cigarettes have a warning "may cause cancer" maybe Wen could have a warning "may experience hair loss". I think that should take care of it, maybe. 

There already is a warning something to the effect of if you experience a negative reaction stop using immediately. I would think hair loss would fall under "negative reaction".

Honored Contributor

Re: On the FDA Watch Really

[ Edited ]

@Imadickens wrote:

I just got the FDA email today. I have been experiencing hair loss, especially near the front of my head and along the part. I have loved using Wen products for at least four years or more. My stylist told me about this problem when I began using Wen, but didn't listen. Boy, I wish I had! Does anyone know if, and when the hair grows back?

It could be your hypothyroidism you have had for 25 years and the multitude of other health issues you said you are experiencing. Yours may not grow back due to the health issues and medications you are on. Hair loss and thinning is a typical result of hypothyroidism.

From the mayo clinic website. As you can see, some of the symptoms may not happen right away but can start occuring over time:

Symptoms

The signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism vary, depending on the severity of the hormone deficiency. But in general, any problems you have tend to develop slowly, often over a number of years.

At first, you may barely notice the symptoms of hypothyroidism, such as fatigue and weight gain, or you may simply attribute them to getting older. But as your metabolism continues to slow, you may develop more-obvious signs and symptoms. Hypothyroidism signs and symptom may include:

• Fatigue
  • Increased sensitivity to cold
  • Constipation
  • Dry skin
  • Weight gain
  • Puffy face
  • Hoarseness
  • Muscle weakness
  • Elevated blood cholesterol level
  • Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
  • Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
  • Heavier than normal or irregular menstrual periods
  • Thinning hair
  • Slowed heart rate
  • Depression
  • Impaired memory
Respected Contributor

Re: On the FDA Watch Really

[ Edited ]

I was waiting to make the connection!  I do have other med probs and thought that was my deal, I liked Wen. Of course, I don't know for sure it's the Wen, all I know is that NOTHING else has changed in my health that could possibly cause the hair loss. Many of my conditions and meds could contribute but NONE of these have changed in at least 8 years. Even my thyroid was stable until recently, but hair loss started way before that. I feel everyone needs to make informed decisions about which products to use. That said, it is a definite probability that one or more of my health issues contributed to my hair loss. But, so might have Wen. I believe there is more than one side to every issue! That is why I contributed to this thread.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

What is Androgenic Alopecia? I know Alopecia, what us this type?

Respected Contributor

it might also be that for some of us, whatever is causing our hair loss is agrivated by ingredients in Wen, which is why some have good results and others don't.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@vermint wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I remember when this product first came out and read a review from Paula.  She said there was nothing in the product that could clean and didn't recommend. 

Later, she changed her review for some reason.  

@Sunshine Kate

Perhaps she tried it for herself and had the same great results many of us have experienced.

I don't think hair loss is a great result.  Woman Frustrated

No, it's not a great result....but many thousands of us have used WEN with NO hair loss and it has, in fact, much improved our hair. I'm one of those whose hair is much healthier since using WEN!

@vermint

I have also had great results with Wen and no thinning of hair whatsoever.   To me, that means it's a good product and I have no sensitivities to any of the ingredients.

However, I have had sensitivities to other products and do what any other intelligent woman would do ..... I stop using them.   People need to use common sense when trying new products.    

Exactly! I had a horrible reaction to Pantene (greasy scales, itchiness, some hair loss) and to Suave (red, itchy scalp). I quit using them! My DH, on the other hand, loves Pantene and will use nothing else...different strokes for different folks.

I have NO DOUBT that some people have had a bad reaction to Wen, and it's awful to lose your hair---I can't even imagine! But if I quit using everything that "somebody" had a negative experience with, well, I wouldn't be using anything!

Occasional Contributor

I've been using Wen for about 3 or so years.  I will say this, I did find that my scalp started to get itchy and flakey.  I used Sweet Almond Mint, Lavender and Pomegranite. Although I loved them all, I stopped and switched to the Italian Mandarin Fig and the Six Thirteen as a deep conditioning. Also the Bamboo/Green tea is just as gentle as Italian Mandarin and Six Thirteen.  My scalp does not itch as before. I think the amount of menthol in the original formulas is the culprit of irritation, thats just my opinion from personal use.

Make sure you rinse your scalp thoroughly.  I also alternate with Nick Chavez and find that my scalp gets really clean using that.  I still love my Wen and I do love Nick as well. 

Fortunately my hair loss is normal amount.  I lose more in the summer when my hair is tied back and gelled down (too hot to wear my hair down) and thats due to pulling the hair back and the gel (my hair is curly and layered so I need something with firm hold to keep it smooth and sleek).

If you find that your scalp itches, flakes, and you see your hair falling abit more than normal then common sense should tell you to stop using it for at least two weeks and see what happens when you swich. Not alll products are for everyone.

Respected Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@Tinkrbl44

Exactly! I had a horrible reaction to Pantene (greasy scales, itchiness, some hair loss) and to Suave (red, itchy scalp). I quit using them! My DH, on the other hand, loves Pantene and will use nothing else...different strokes for different folks.

I have NO DOUBT that some people have had a bad reaction to Wen, and it's awful to lose your hair---I can't even imagine! But if I quit using everything that "somebody" had a negative experience with, well, I wouldn't be using anything!

But doesn't there seem to be an unusually high number of people complaining about hair loss with Wen? Are there class action suits against companies of other hair products?

I've never used it, but I've seen enough bad reviews that it scares me.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu