Honored Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

The FDA is investigating reports of hair loss, hair breakage, balding, itching, and rash associated with a high-end hair product---Wen by Chaz Dean Cleansing Conditioner. The agency says it's received more than 127 reports of adverse events from consumers, the largest number ever associated with any hair cleansing product, and is also looking into more than 21,000 complaints reported to the company.

The FDA says people who experience a reaction after using WEN by Chaz Dean Cleansing Conditioner products should stop using them, and consult with their dermatologist or other health care provider. 

Healthcare professionals and consumers are encouraged to report adverse events or side effects related to the use of these products to the FDA's MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program:

Download form or call 1-800-332-1088 to request a reporting form, then complete and return to the address on the pre-addressed form, or submit by fax to 1-800-FDA-0178

@maximillian

I wonder how many of these 127 people saw a physician to rule out all the other possibilities for hair loss .... hormonal shifts. low thyroid, medications, etc etc etc.

I'm wondering how many are just jumping on the Wen is Bad bandwagon, hoping to get some cash out of it. People can claim anything they want, but it doesn't make it true.   Many things can cause hair loss.

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

I just got the FDA email today. I have been experiencing hair loss, especially near the front of my head and along the part. I have loved using Wen products for at least four years or more. My stylist told me about this problem when I began using Wen, but didn't listen. Boy, I wish I had! Does anyone know if, and when the hair grows back?

@Imadickens

Okay, I give up ..... you've been using Wen for FOUR YEARS and have hair loss??? 

Why didn't you just quit Wen and start using something else?   

What are you waiting for?

Trusted Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

I just got the FDA email today. I have been experiencing hair loss, especially near the front of my head and along the part. I have loved using Wen products for at least four years or more. My stylist told me about this problem when I began using Wen, but didn't listen. Boy, I wish I had! Does anyone know if, and when the hair grows back?

androgenetic alopecia

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Honored Contributor

Re: On the FDA Watch Really

[ Edited ]

@Snoopp wrote:

I've probably used over 100 different shampoos and never had hair loss from them, but I would NEVER use Wen based on the reports of hair loss.  I know it's popular here but I would RUN from that product.

@Snoopp

Isn't it great that we all have choices!

My hair is thicker, longer, more shiny, and has more volume than ever in my life.

I love WEN.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Contributor

I hope that QVC will suspend all Wen product sales until the FDA has completed their investigation. 

Super Contributor

I have heard of these complaints/lawsuits.  Every one of these seem to refer to his Sweet Almond Mint formula.  I'll be interested in the results of the FDA investigation.  They all also seem to have purchased that particular formula via Guthy Renker and I am aware that a lot of people seem to have issues with that company. However, if every ingredient in that or any other of Chaz Dean's formulas contain ingredients that the scientific/medical community has been deemed to be GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) AND are widely used in other products, then I don't think the complainants have a leg to stand on.

Unfortunately many people have adverse reactions to beauty products, foods, household cleaners, medications, etc. that millions of others consume or use with no problems.

This reminds me of something that happened to me when I was a teenager.  I remember that I kept seeing commercials for Johnson's Baby Oil, that it wasn't just for babies, and would make your skin so soft and smooth, so one day I bought a bottle.  I slathered it on and, yikes, my skin became red, itchy, and inflamed.  I showed my mom what had happened and she said "you can't use that, I tried that on you when you were a baby and the same thing happened."  Since I didn't tell her I was going to buy it she couldn't warn me.  Imagine, a product that millions of babies could and still use, and I had a horrible reaction.  Of course I never used it again after that one disastrous outcome.

What would be really informative would be to know exactly how many millions of people have used that particular formula with not only no adverse reactions but actually have beautiful, healthy hair.

I use Wen, but not that particular formula, and I really love it.  Actually started using it because of a severe case of hair loss from dermatitis in my scalp and it helped my hair grow back.

Respected Contributor

@Dobilyn wrote:

I hope that QVC will suspend all Wen product sales until the FDA has completed their investigation. 

Ain't no way!  It has to be a huge cash cow for them!

I have tried WEN and it smells and feels great, but don't love it.  Nor do I hate it!

However, I don't see why people get so DEFENSIVE  when someone says they don't like it or may be having problems from it.  It's just a hair cleanser. 

Sometimes finding cause of hair loss is difficult or it may never be found.  I would stop using a product right away if I thought it was causing me problems. 

It seems there are enough complaints for it to be looked in to.  Those who love it, keep loving it. 

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

I used it for a short period of time (about three weeks).  I did not have any reaction but I just did not feel like my hair was clean so I went back to regular shampoo.  

Respected Contributor

I had a nasty red rash with tbe tea tree. And the ones with a lot of menthol burned my scalp but also a lot of his products dont harm me at all.  All i can say is if you are one of those sensitive to ingredients like i am just stop useing it or go to wen kids that is menthol free and more gentle

Frequent Contributor

Re: On the FDA Watch Really

[ Edited ]

I'm just using it as conditioner since I noticed some thinning. While it may not be from WEN, I'm not taking any chances.