Trusted Contributor

Old vs. New Philosophy Shower Gels - my observations

I used to have a large overstock of Philosophy shower gels, my main ones were Amazing Grace, Pure Grace, Falling in Love and Unconditional Love.  They took forever to use up, but I finally did.  I haven't used any of these shower gel scents in quite a few years now and recently I've been missing them.  I even put a shower gel kit that had those 4 scents on my QVC wishlist (I think it was about 80 dollars).  I've never had a QVC wishlist before.

Last week, Philosophy had a sale on their website.  Spend 50 dollars and get FIL and UL shower gels for free.  I bought AG and PG shower gels, which totaled 50 dollars and my old collection was now complete.  I was very pleased with this deal.

They arrived today and I was interested to see if/how the scents had changed in all these years.  Out of the 4 shower gels, only FIL was true to scent from years ago.  The other 3 were subtly different from what I remember, with Pure Grace being the most different.  Which was sad because that was my favorite.

I am not returning them and will happily use them because as I said, I've missed them.  They also felt very moisturizing and creamy, so that was nice.  I decided a few weeks ago that I really don't like my Bath & Body Works shower gels.  I think I have to get rid of them.  I also use L'Occitane Peony shower gel.  I like the scent, but the Philosophy shower gels felt more moisturizing as I was applying them (I mixed AG & PG in tonight's shower).  

So those are my thoughts about Philosophy's shower gels, old vs. new.  No questions to ask really, just wanted to share my experience.  If you would also like to share I would love to read.   

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Valued Contributor

Re: Old vs. New Philosophy Shower Gels - my observations

I don't use them anymore. I think they are way over-priced. My go to these days is Oil of Olay that I get at Costco and occasionally I get a specialty body wash of some sort, but no longer Philosophy. I felt the scent was missing anymore.

Valued Contributor

Ever since Coty purchased the brand, everything has gone down hill. The fragrances are different and don't last as long. Purity no longer works as well. It was like they cut the costs and that cut the quality. 

I no longer use this brand. It's no different than Bath and Body Works or Ulta brand etc.

I just use Olay wash, Tatcha cleansing oil and good quality perfume.

Super Contributor

I used to love Philosophy this makes me sad. I had been thinking of purchasing some of the bath stuff lately.

Respected Contributor

I also stopped using Philosophy over the years, too many changes and the price kept going up.  If you're interested in shower gels, there's a TSV on the other shopping channel, and it looks like a great deal.  It's a shame really as I liked Philosophy. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought the recent new Falling in Love set from Phil with the 32 oz gel, 16 oz emulsion, 16 oz scrub and 4 oz eau de parfum.

The fact that they are selling a huge shower gel with no scent in it is just plain sad. The scrub in that set also lacked scent. Had very little.

Then the emulsion and edp were very heavily scented with musk. No other discernible scent in them.  Where is the berry,etc?

Their formulations are seriously suffering from identity crisis in the past few years. These days, it's very hit or miss scentwise, with mostly misses in the past few years.

Rule number one of business for your flagship products is if it ain't broke, don't "fix it".  

I have to wonder after all this odd scent experimentation of Philosophy's if Coty bought the names and not the formulas?

Honored Contributor

Like @Stargazer77 I have stockpiled a lot of Philosophy shower gels I am trying to use up. I haven't bought any in a long time, but I will purchase in the future.

Honored Contributor

I still love how moisturizing Philosophy's shower gels are, much more than other brands I have tried. I also like L'Occitane Almond scent, but usually buy on their website wehen they offer a sale.......I wish they were still on QVC, QVC offered great prices on L'occitane as well.It does seem as if there is one dominant in each Beauty Category and they are on all of the time, while others have been thrown to the wayside. Philosophy is QVC's choice for bath and body, IT Cosmetics for color, Josie for bath and body and lotions,etc. Dr. Perricone for skincare,WEN for hair, although Nick has been on a little more often........