Honored Contributor

Re: Old Lady Foundation Suggestions

[ Edited ]

@Quse  If the foundation looks orange on the skin it is oxidizing so it is not the foundation for you.  Here are my suggestions:

High End:  Chanel

Drugstore:  No 7 Lift and Luminate (a medium coverage foundation with serum which benefits the skin).

or

No 7 tinted moisturizer for light coverage (I use everyday) because it evens out skin.  I also own the No 7 Lift and Luminate which is very nice.  I am a fair/light complexion.

P.S.  No 7 has a shade finder they use on your skin.  it can be found at certain Walgreens.  I found out about it from a manager at Walgreens and it was used on my face to find out what shade was best for me.

No 7 is from the United Kingdom and their foundations are made in France.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've worn Urban Decay for about a year.  I like the full coverage and it feels like I'm not wearing anything.  I find that it's necessary to wear a finishing spray or top with powder to set it for all day wear.

@Justholdingon Which foundation did you get at Ulta?

Respected Contributor

I know you said you tried Bare Minerals but did you try their Complexion Rescue?  It’s more of a light gel and it doesn’t settle into lines (at least not in my experience).  It’s not full coverage though if that is what you are looking for.  

Contributor

[ Edited ]

First....You are NOT an old lady.

I'm 53, and have worn foundation since my early 20's.

I find myself asking the same question.  For every decade that has passed, I've noticed a change in my skin.

Since I passed 50, I have yet to find a foundation that does not settle into the few fine lines that I do have.

I have been blessed with good skin.  I have no crows feet, 11's, marionette lines.  A few small lines on my forehead, and a few fine ones under my eyes.

I can't wear bare minerals anymore, because it accentuates my pores and fine lines.

I can't wear IT cosmetics CC Cream, it looks cakey.  Can't wear powdered IT foundation either, because It looks too orangey.  (I have olive undertones.)  I even tried Voodoo cosmetics.  I loved that it was made in Louisana, and it was coconut oil based...but I couldn't find a good shade match, and it looked a bit heavy.

Whew.

According to Wayne Goss, a makeup artist....All foundation will make you look a little older.  Its a trade off between having an even skin tone. 

I may just continue to wear concealer, with a bit of translucent powder on top....

Frequent Contributor

I like "Makeup Forever Ultra HD" and Bobbi Brown "Skin" liquid foundation. 

Honored Contributor

last one I bought is the WnW in the bottle,  High Def or something goes on nicely, and it's cheap so if you hate not a big deal 

Honored Contributor

@Justholdingon  Old Lady?  Wait until you are my age!   52 is young.  A lot of the ladies I know have kids older than you are.    Enjoy your youthful age and get some make-up you really enjoy.  Have fun!

Trusted Contributor

I usually just use drugstore foundations, L'oreal, Maybelline that are moisturizing, not matte, as most mature women need moisture and the matte ones really accentuates lines. And not full coverage foundations.

I'm in my  late 60's and for me, I've learned through trial and error to use the best primer and then concealer, under eyes in the triangle pattern, around nostrils, to cover any spots.  I only use foundation on the areas that need it, not the entire face. I use a damp beauty blender and in a bouncing motion blend, blend blend.

For running out in a hurry, I just mix a drop of foundation into my SPF moisturizer and that's it for the face part..  Easy, done.

I don't think a full face of foundation is really the way to go for over 50 women. I think it's better to play up your eyes (tastefully) and add blush and a great lip.

Honored Contributor

You need a professional.

For a photo shoot, the photographer can recommend someone or ask at a local spa.

No offense but you need more than a "sprucing up"

Look for a place that specializes in wedding and prom make up.

Don't let them go overboard!    

My favorite foundation is Clinique.    They can do makeup for you at the counter and you can choose to buy or not.    

Honored Contributor

I can't stop laughing at the idea that someone would think of herself as an old lady at 52.  That's funny.  Go to Sephora and put yourself in the hands of experts.  Make a list of what you want in foundation and ask them for instructions n how to apply it.