Valued Contributor

Re: Old Lady Foundation Suggestions

Thank you to everyone who has responded, I've gotten some really good info. I spent some time on Youtube last night (at the brilliant suggestion from @Mimi 1883) watching various people regarding foundations and makeup application. Although they were all over the place ("for mature skin use matte", " for mature skin never use matte"...lol) I got some good info and think I know where to start, at least. I also realized that going to a makeup counter is not really an option for several reasons. (1. I have a vestibular disorder so going to a place like that is more than I can deal with 2. I live in the middle of nowhere, so getting to one of those places is a production 3. Makeup counters gross me out to the point of being a germo-phobe)
I also realize, after watching Youtube, that it would be hit or miss going to a makeup counter (same "always use matte/NEVER use matte" type of info), I may end up in the exact same dilemma with more effort and a dizzy head. When I was much younger, I used to go have people do my face at makeup counters (in fact, I had cosmotology friends that worked at them). No one has ever done my face that didn't either make me look "made up" or use products that I wasn't trying to scratch off of my face instantly. I had one lady ask me in my early 20's if I would allow her to do my makeup for Mary Kay and then model. I reluctantly agreed, only becasue she kept bugging me. The second she finished doing the makeup my face started to itch wildly and I told her to take the pictures fast because I had to wash the stuff off immediately. I had broken out skin for a week after.
@softwareIf this were a serious professional photo shoot, I would go have a whole schpeel done, but this is not a modeling type of thing, just have to do some photos and blah blah for work.
I was approaching the whole thing wrong. I was thinking that I needed a full coverage makeup ,but after watching some of the videos, that's not what I need. As some have suggested, maybe a moisturizer with tint or a BB or CC cream. Many have said "less is more" and I agree with that.
I also realize that (I know this will be "duh" to most) that nothing is going to cover "11" lines (other than bangs...lol). So that was just wishful thinking. Those are either going to be "get the botox" or "deal with the skin you've earned"...period.)
I also learned (also will be duh to most), that if you use a primer, the good properties in makeup like Josie Maran's Vibrancy (I was going to try this one) will not penetrate, bcz primers are mostly silicone (or some derivative of silicone) based, so, I'd be wasting money.
I think I'll start with Laura Geller's Spackle, and a few drugstore foundations (bcz I am not going to be wearing these for anything other than short work videos/photos, and them, boom!, off it comes) As @KatCat1 suggested, I may try No. 7, that came up in several Youtube videos, also Loreal Infallible...or a coupe of tinted moisturizers or BB creams. I will steer clear of IT, as the Bye Bye Lines foundation that I tried (literally for 5 minutes) the other night has netted me with a HUGE breakout on my chin to deal with. I also realize now that many of these companies are now Loreal anyway (Urban Decay, IT, Lancome, etc..) so I'll start with the cheapest way.
This should be interesting....

PS. The "old lady" title was to weed out 20 somethings, as it's confusing enough to try to figure out without trying to use what works on younger skin. As I said in another post, 52 is not old, I only feel old when I put on makeup (and wouldn't if I didn't have to even some stuff out on a camera). I'm very happy with my silver streaked hair and moisturized bare face...just some mascara, lips, liner (IF that, most of the time I have sunglasses on and lip balm) Cheers!

Honored Contributor

If I understand correctly, something called No. 7 from Walgreens might be a reasonably priced option. I'm going to seek it out.

Respected Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

@hyacinth003  @Quse   A famous makeup artist (can't remember who) wrote that the reason there's so many more yellow base foundations is because there's many woman who have rosecea, skin too pink, etc. and they need color correcting makeup. That' was his answer to the issue you raised.

@Harvard99

I don't think it is the MAJORITY of women!  Even the companies that make warm, neutral, and cool tones can overdo the yellow.  I have had to return so many foundations.

I don't really need to cover anything, just like evening my skin out.  I know I cannot be the only one.  I once heard Bobbi Brown wax on about how foundations need as much yellow.  Yeah, right!  I am very fair, so NOTHING is forgiving on me!!!

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003   Why are you being so snarky,  I'm just the messenger, repeating something a makeup artist once wrote.  I was trying to be helpful to you and @Quse.  It isn't my opinion, nor my fault you have this problem, I'm not a makeup artist or a cosmetic manufacturer!

I never said that he said  " the "MAJORITY" of women......", as you shouted.  I said that he said  "many women.........."  There's a big difference.  Maybe you could get samples from a cosmetic counter or Sephora.  Good luck to you.

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

@hyacinth003  @Quse   A famous makeup artist (can't remember who) wrote that the reason there's so many more yellow base foundations is because there's many woman who have rosecea, skin too pink, etc. and they need color correcting makeup. That' was his answer to the issue you raised.

@Harvard99

I don't think it is the MAJORITY of women!  Even the companies that make warm, neutral, and cool tones can overdo the yellow.  I have had to return so many foundations.

I don't really need to cover anything, just like evening my skin out.  I know I cannot be the only one.  I once heard Bobbi Brown wax on about how foundations need as much yellow.  Yeah, right!  I am very fair, so NOTHING is forgiving on me!!!

Hyacinth