Valued Contributor

Old Lady Foundation Suggestions

[ Edited ]

Ok, I don't know what has possessed me to start down this road, but I guess I just need a little sprucing up.

I am looking for a foundation and I don't know even know how to look for one. I have never worn foundation, can't stand the feel of it, but I need something for photo shoots in high def.

I'm going to be 52 soon, let my hair go natural, which is streaked gray/white in front (people ask me if I highlighted it..no), the rest peppered with brownish dark blond. I think my skin is light/fair with pinkish undertones, green eyes. I have good skin, but do have prominent "11" lines, which I'm not going to have botox for, at least not yet...lol

I don't really have fine lines but when I wear foundation, holy cow! it looks like I'm 100 with wrinkles everywhere!

I've tried Bare minerals, made my face itchy and I can't stand the feel. Tried Josie Maran, didn't like it, don't remember why. Just got the TSV from IT with bye bye lines...omg..more like "hello, lines, orange clown face"..I ordered "Light"

I was watching the Urban Decay show, am tempted to try the Naked foundation in the 1.0 shade, but I'm a little concerned that it will just be more of the same.

The best I've seemingly come to thus far is Laura Geller, but that looks terrible after a while. I just ordered the Spackle primer to see if that helps with what I have on hand.

Is there ANY foundation that doesn't settle into every crevice and make one look older, or have an orange clown face tint to it??

Honored Contributor

Re: Old Lady Foundation Suggestions

I would go to Sephora or Nordstrom’s cosmetics counters and have the sales person advise you.   Ask for samplesSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We're close to the same age, but I've never called the foundation I use Old-Lady-Foundation.

Frequent Contributor

Maybe try a tinted moisturizer instead of a foundation. I am 49 and tried the same things as you except urban decay, thought, their mascara is the only on that I found that works for me now that I am older. I do like Josie's foundation , I have only tried the Vibrancy and it worked for me. I did not try Josie's perfect and protect or matchmaker.

Honored Contributor

@Quse-

I'd like to know too!

I haven't worn any for a long time for a lot of the same reasons. I hate the feel of the thick liquid ones too.

The closest thing I have found that does something, and I can stand to wear, and doesn't make me look worse is a "cream to powder" foundation. They are in a compact and several brands have them but it is hard to find any cool colors.

I don't know why there are so many warm, yellow, beige, orange based foundations out there!

I don't think powders foundations work well either. Theyseem to empahsize any flaws!

It will be interesting to hear others suggestions! Thanks for asking this good question.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm 68 so you're quite a bit younger than I am, I have some fine lines, but my skin is starting to sag so I have nose to mouth lines. I try every thing and have tried everything you have, although they work for me.First off, IMO you need the primer, second, my latest foundation try is Doll 10 HydraLux Smoothing Foundation that came with a concealer to match, in light/medium. It's the best liquid foundation I have tried to date. It came with a brush and I think that's the best way to apply it. The consistency is creamy and dries down quickly, the color for me is spot on and I would say it's a full coverage foundation.

Valued Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

We're close to the same age, but I've never called the foundation I use Old-Lady-Foundation.

There will be people much older who say the same as you, I deliberately used that because thus far, the foundations have made me feel much older than I am, in mind or body. 

Honored Contributor

@Quse-

I'd like to know too!

I haven't worn any for a long time for a lot of the same reasons. I hate the feel of the thick liquid ones too.

The closest thing I have found that does something, and I can stand to wear, and doesn't make me look worse is a "cream to powder" foundation. They are in a compact and several brands have them but it is hard to find any cool colors.

I don't know why there are so many warm, yellow, beige, orange based foundations out there!

I don't think powders foundations work well either.  They seem to emphasize any flaws!

I'd also want a cruelty free one so that makes it harder. Also a drugstore one!

It will be interesting to hear others suggestions! Thanks for asking this good question.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I'm 68 so you're quite a bit younger than I am, I have some fine lines, but my skin is starting to sag so I have nose to mouth lines. I try every thing and have tried everything you have, although they work for me.First off, IMO you need the primer, second, my latest foundation try is Doll 10 HydraLux Smoothing Foundation that came with a concealer to match, in light/medium. It's the best liquid foundation I have tried to date. It came with a brush and I think that's the best way to apply it. The consistency is creamy and dries down quickly, the color for me is spot on and I would say it's a full coverage foundation.

I was looking at that one too. Do you wear moisturizer? I'm wondering if it will work differently(or not at all) if I use a moisturizer under it

Super Contributor

@Quse wrote:

Ok, I don't know what has possessed me to start down this road, but I guess I just need a little sprucing up.

I am looking for a foundation and I don't know even know how to look for one. I have never worn foundation, can't stand the feel of it, but I need something for photo shoots in high def.

I'm going to be 52 soon, let my hair go natural, which is streaked gray/white in front (people ask me if I highlighted it..no), the rest peppered with brownish dark blond. I think my skin is light/fair with pinkish undertones, green eyes. I have good skin, but do have prominent "11" lines, which I'm not going to have botox for, at least not yet...lol

I don't really have fine lines but when I wear foundation, holy cow! it looks like I'm 100 with wrinkles everywhere!

I've tried Bare minerals, made my face itchy and I can't stand the feel. Tried Josie Maran, didn't like it, don't remember why. Just got the TSV from IT with bye bye lines...omg..more like "hello, lines, orange clown face"..I ordered "Light"

I was watching the Urban Decay show, am tempted to try the Naked foundation in the 1.0 shade, but I'm a little concerned that it will just be more of the same.

The best I've seemingly come to thus far is Laura Geller, but that looks terrible after a while. I just ordered the Spackle primer to see if that helps with what I have on hand.

Is there ANY foundation that doesn't settle into every crevice and make one look older, or have an orange clown face tint to it??

I was in the same boat as you were except I was going to my son’s wedding and had no experience with makeup. I ended up making an appointment with an Ulta consultant and she matched me up with the perfect foundation for me and also showed me how to apply it perfectly. She took her time and was extremely patient and was not pushy in trying to make sales. She showed me how to do half my face and had me do the other half myself. The only foundation I had ever tried was bare minerals and it also looked like I had tons of wrinkles all over. The foundation I used for the wedding had me looking better than ever (no wrinkles) and that was probably also because of the tools being used. I didn’t feel like I was wearing any foundation either.

I would recommend going to Ulta for this. It only cost about $30 for the consult.

good luck!