Valued Contributor

Old Favorite Fragrance - Lauren

I wore Ralph Lauren's "Lauren" cologne back in the 80's and LOVED it - always got a lot of compliments on it. So, I saw it at Drug Emporium a few days ago and decided to take a little stroll down memory lane by purchasing it. 

Well, within a couple of hours of spraying a bit on my wrists, I began to notice that it was making me sick. It had a "bug spray" smell to it - just awful.  Maybe they changed the formula... don't know, but, it was NOT the same.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Respected Contributor

Re: Old Favorite Fragrance - Lauren

I too wore it in the 80s, that is until the day a male student said he smelled bug spray.

Valued Contributor

I find that happening a lot.  I'll buy a fragrance I love, only to have it not smell the same or not last as long.  Or both.

They probably do change the formula and use inferior, less expensive ingredients.  

Tova Signature comes to mind.  A once beautiful fragrance that now smells like bug spray to me even though Tova insists it has not changed.

Honored Contributor

That was one of my favorites too and I never had a problem with it but got a bottle for Christmas last year and discovered I couldn't stand the scent on me!!  It was slightly acrid and had a distasteful scent.  I had the same thing happen with a long-term scent that DH loved and I wore for 30 years until Estee Lauder sold their products to Coty (I believe) and the scent not only changed but did not last.  What a waste.  I'm refusing to spend upwards of $90 - $100 for these horrible fragrances..... even Chanel has disappointed me!!  LOL, I'm back to Charlie.... I mean for $25 I'm ok with it!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Regular Contributor

The same thing happened to me with Estee Lauder White Linen. I wore thqt many years ago and recently decided to try it again. That also is not the same. Why do they do that? I really miss the original version.

Honored Contributor

the Industry in general has lessened the "oil" they put into their fragrances and I suspect the oils are inferior.  They think the public has no idea.... they do! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't smelled this in so long! I would love to see it come back. I remember loving it.

Respected Contributor

Lauren was such a lovely fragrance back in the day. I found too just recently the fragrance now is nothing and I mean nothing like it use to be. I wish they would stay with the original formulas, but they go on the cheap and then we get some inferior perfumes. I would love to get a new fragrance, but until I can actually try it before I buy it, I am sticking with what I have.

By the way I just ordered Dolly Parton's body cream and it was awful. I didn't even try it on. Just smelling that in the jar made my eyes water. They made it sound like a soft fragrance, but I found it to be the exact opposite.Boy that went right back.

Respected Contributor

I have a lot of acid in my skin and have always had problems turning perfume into that bug spray smell. The change of long proven formulas that work for most people is not a wise move. They will just lose customers. The focus nowadays is on the bottom line instead of customer satisfaction.  My trick to eliminate the bug spray smell is to spray my underwear and my hair. You might try that to salvage your investment since skin contact seems to be the culprit.

Respected Contributor

Ciara.  Spelling? Loved it and did receive compliments.