Respected Contributor

Olay Regenerist Retinol 24 Night Moisturizer-Had A Reaction

I saw this on the Dr. OZ show with the rep from Olay and thought I would try this out as I have never used anything with  Retinol in it before. The first 3 days everything was fine but I did notice some facial peeling. The 4th day I woke up with my face soo dry and under my eyebrow very red, rare and swollen and peeling. I stopped using that night and the next day I woke up with my skin soo dry and my skin under my eyebrows so dry that the skin is hanging down. My eyes look like they have aged 10 years. I have never had dry skin in my life. My skin is normal-oily.

Now I need to find a cream to bring my skin back to its normal state

Anyone have any suggestions for just a plain face cream to bring my dry skin back to normal?

Ladies be careful using this product. I read reviews on the Beautypedia on Paula Choice's site and it was give rave reviews.

Honored Contributor

Re: Olay Regenerist Retinol 24 Night Moisturizer-Had A Reaction

@cuddlesmama I'm no beauty expert, however I can testify to the hydration properties of 

Image result for neutrogena hydro boost gel cream

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama 

I feel bad for you! I have been eyeing these products  because they claimed they were much gentler.  My skin is so sensiive and I have never been able to use anything with this ingredient.  After what you are going through, I will not try these products now!

I have a Eucerin cream that comes in a glass jar which is fragrance free -- very gentle and emolliant and minimal ingredients which might help you.  I got mine at Walgreen but I imagine you can get it at any drug store, Target, Walmart, etc.

So sorry this happened to you!  I hope you get some relief.  This is no fun at all!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@cuddlesmama I'm no beauty expert, however I can testify to the hydration properties of 

Image result for neutrogena hydro boost gel cream

Will that Hyaluronic Acid make my skin dry? 

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama   I wouldn't think so.  The purpose of the neutrogena hydroboost line is to hydrate.  The product comes in a gel and a cream.  I'm a natural redhead with a very fair complexion my skin runs on the dry side.  I skip the gel version of this product and go straight to the cream version of the product for extra dry skin.  I love how it feels on my face.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Well, I can say from using Retin A in the past that yes, it DOES make your face peel and flake,in the beginning especially-That is how it WORKS- It is not a cosmetic, itis actually a medicine, so I imagine that any "Retinol", that is worth its salt, would do the same- 

If you can stick it out, at least with Retin A, it gets better  but in the short run, yes it looks bad...

And the more sensitive your skin is, the worse it will be..

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmamaOne more word of warning -  I've had a similar reaction to other retinol products.  The fault may lie in our skin and retinol, not any particular brand.  After my episode, I also used Neutrogena moisture day and night.  Took a few days, but my face recovered.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your post, @cuddlesmama.  I was planning to buy the Olay Retinol cream soon.  Now I'm re-thinking....     I know when I tried a Retin-A product 20-some years ago, I had the same reaction - red, peeling skin.  Long after my complexion healed, I switched to a drugstore brand Retinol cream and never had any peeling problems with the Retinol.  What percentage of Retinol is in the Olay cream - does it state that on the package?   I use a 2.5% Retinol cream with Hyaluronic Acid.  No problems.  

I also recommend the Neutrogena moisturizer or CeraVe to get your skin back to normal.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I feel for you. I too tried some of Olays new stuff (not the one you mentioned) and my skin after a few days was so dry I went back to my Clinique.

Respected Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Thanks for your post, @cuddlesmama.  I was planning to buy the Olay Retinol cream soon.  Now I'm re-thinking....     I know when I tried a Retin-A product 20-some years ago, I had the same reaction - red, peeling skin.  Long after my complexion healed, I switched to a drugstore brand Retinol cream and never had any peeling problems with the Retinol.  What percentage of Retinol is in the Olay cream - does it state that on the package?   I use a 2.5% Retinol cream with Hyaluronic Acid.  No problems.  

I also recommend the Neutrogena moisturizer or CeraVe to get your skin back to normal.  

It doesn't say anwhere on the package the Retinol percentage or there website. Thanks you for responding.