Trusted Contributor

Re: Okay ladies, what is your favorite fast drying top coat

Hey Irshgrl31201! How are you? I have tried Seche Vite, INM On the Go Fast Drying Top Coat, Revlon Quick Dry Top Coat, and Sally Hansen Insta- Dry Anti Chip Top Coat. The Sally Hansen is my ultimate favorite since it is easy to find, $5-6 dollars, and works!

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Esteemed Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

Hey Irshgrl31201! How are you? I have tried Seche Vite, INM On the Go Fast Drying Top Coat, Revlon Quick Dry Top Coat, and Sally Hansen Insta- Dry Anti Chip Top Coat. The Sally Hansen is my ultimate favorite since it is easy to find, $5-6 dollars, and works!

Hey @JBKO, I am good how are you? Thank you for the suggestions, I will check those out. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

that is super glossy and shiny? I am not a fan of Seche Vite, way too much shrinkage. I have been pouring over MakeupAlley reviews and put in that I wanted 90% who would buy again with at least 10 people reviewing it. It did cut down the list and there are 2 that I haven't tried before. One is called Essence Gel NP TC and the other is Nutra Nail Speed Dry 30 Second Top Coat. I have never tried anything from Essence or Nutra Nail. Also on the list is Dior Top Coat which is what I am using now. I really do like it, it is glossy and beautiful but it is pricey and while there are things I don't mind spending money on, top coats aren't one of those things I want to spend $27 bucks on. 

Does anyone have a top coat they love that is glossy and dries quickly (or quicker)? I guess quick drying isn't an ultimate must have but it would be nice so feel free to recommend one even if it isn't fast drying.

Let me know what you are using that you love if you don't mind!!

Opi, love it!

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

CND Air Dry

Thanks @Sister Golden Hair, this line is at Sallys isn't it? I think I almost picked it up today and then I decided to go to MUA and check here for opinions!

@Irshgrl31201 I'm not sure if Sallys has this because I buy mine through  my beauty shop. But it is the best I have ever used.

Trusted Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 I actually don't have a particular favorite, as long as it's fast drying. As far as Seche Vite goes, it will minimuze shrinking if you apply before your polish dries and make sure to cap the ends of your nails (all layers you put on). Also keep it at the proper consistancy by adding Seche Restore as needed. I actually don't mind the small amount of shrinkage I get around the cuticle and I don't recall having any problem at the free edge.

Trusted Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 @redhead handbag queen Yes, the formulation of top coat (and base coat as well) is going to be slightly different than actual polish. Top coat is optimized for protection, shine (or matte), while base coat is optimized to adhere to the nail and the polish on top of it.

There are a few special top coats out there designed to be used over top coat "hungry" glitters. However, usually I can get away with a couple of layers of whatever regular top coat I am using.

I found it interesting that one of the major indie polish makers advised people to read the ingredients when ordering top coats from different indie makers to avoid trying same ones repeatedly. This seems to confirm the suspicion that I had that indie makers are most likely rebottleing base and top coat that they buy in bulk from their suppliers.

Esteemed Contributor

@juperier wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 @redhead handbag queen Yes, the formulation of top coat (and base coat as well) is going to be slightly different than actual polish. Top coat is optimized for protection, shine (or matte), while base coat is optimized to adhere to the nail and the polish on top of it.

There are a few special top coats out there designed to be used over top coat "hungry" glitters. However, usually I can get away with a couple of layers of whatever regular top coat I am using.

I found it interesting that one of the major indie polish makers advised people to read the ingredients when ordering top coats from different indie makers to avoid trying same ones repeatedly. This seems to confirm the suspicion that I had that indie makers are most likely rebottleing base and top coat that they buy in bulk from their suppliers.

Thanks for the info @juperier. I just applied a glitter last night and had to put two coats on. Can I ask the brands you use when you a "hungry" glitter. That is a perfect description too because they do drink it in!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 The one that I use is Smooth Me Over from Gothic Gala Lacquers. I still use a coat of fast dry top coat on top of it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @juperier, I will check that one out because I have gotten into a lot more glitters that require that I think. Appreciate all your help!!

JFK
New Contributor

My favorite these days if from an Indie brand called Love Angeline.  The top coat is Topped with Love,  great wear time, nice and glossy  and works well with nail art.