Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ok beauties, who's starting a Healthy Eating program 2014 and what are you stocking up on?

On 1/9/2014 smoochy said:
On 1/9/2014 ccassaday said:

Have any of you tried the special k protein shakes. Are they worth it and what do they taste like.

yes. I just used up a six pack. They are ok, kind of a funny undertaste like all the diet shakes seem to have. I'm starving less than two hours after, so I would say they have very limited use, like when I am on the road for work (daily) and have the urge to swing through a McDonalds. I can have a protein shake in a little cooler ready to grab. Fast food/junk have been the root cause of my recent wt gain. That plus the grieving process~I just haven't cared about how much or what I've been eating. have given in to daily cravings for the most deliciously non nutritious junk food. Now I've got the healthier stuff at home, greek yogurt, reduced fat cheese spread, low fat triscuits, fruits, veggies etc. I am back on sparkpeople.com, tracking my daily intake, my exercise, participating in the forums there. And reading the motivational blogs and articles. It works when I stick to it. My goal is to lose ten pounds and keep it off with continued healthy eating. For better fitting clothes, and to improve my cholesterol/tryglyceride levels.

CaChica, I too had emergency gall bladder removal a few years ago. I remember all the gas afterward. Luckily it didn't last too long. One of the main things I recall was getting an IV bolus of Dilaudid, then ordering something from QVC with my cell using automated ordering. Was surprised to receive a set of ProStrong nail polishes a few days later, didn't remember whatsoever that I had done that. haha Feel Better Soon!

Thanks. I was thinking they might be good when you have a salad at lunch or maybe a scrambled egg with breakfast. I still have a bunch of carnation instant breakfast to finish. The carnation actually has more protein when mixed with milk then the special k. These would have to be better then a small glass of juice. Just mainly want to eat better and funny thing too is eat more but just healthy stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ok beauties, who's starting a Healthy Eating program 2014 and what are you stocking up on?

On 1/9/2014 Tissyanne said:
On 1/9/2014 ccassaday said:

Have any of you tried the special k protein shakes. Are they worth it and what do they taste like.

My personal thoughts are that it is best to eat your calories instead of drinking them. Special K makes a good breakfast sandwich in three different varities.

I love those sandwiches. They are very healthy. I was thinking combining with a sandwhich. I like that they have a lot of vitamins but you may be right. It may better to eat some sliced apple with my special k sandwhich.

Occasional Contributor

I'm only using gray disappear for my gray hairs and as a root cover. it is paraben, sulfate and glycol free. I love it. And I saw it on Dr. Oz today.

Respected Contributor

I really enjoy roasted veggies.....butternut squash, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, asparagus....just about anything is good roasted. I just toss with a little olive oil and use a salt grinder to add a little sea salt and roast in a 400 degree preheated oven.

I like roasted portobello mushrooms too.....I make a mix of olive oil with Mrs Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning and then use a brush on both sides of the mushroom. Roast gill side up....test for doneness....if you roast several at a time they are done at different times.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Valued Contributor

On 1/8/2014 Mishell5 said:

I did a lot of research for myself. I have IBS and recent stressfull things in my life kicked it up big time. I put myself on the FODMAT diet. I don't want to jinx it but so far so good.

Thanks for posting this. I just printed out several pages from 2 websites. I am trying to help my HB with his IBS and I think these lists are going to help.

Respected Contributor

Today I fell off a little and had too much. This is certainly challenging and willpower is definitely needed. Tomorrow, I will do better. I forgot about wrapping sandwiches in lettuce. It's tasty too and a way to cut out some carbs.
Super Contributor

Since April I have been on the Ornish Spectrum diet and lost 20 lbs.

During this time I have had 2 surgeries and been pretty ill so I was more limited than usual in how active I can be.

Ornish groups his revised diet into 5 groups, 1 being fresh fruits and vegis, whole grains in the most natural forms.

Group 5 includes meat and all sorts of unhealthy foods.

No food is forbidden and the idea is the better you eat the better you feel so you eat better and it is an increasingly healthy spiral.

I am now a vegetarian, would be vegan but I can't get sufficient calcium in my current home situation, so I still eat dairy because my bones need more than supplements alone can give.

My remaining challenges are sweets and caffeine (caffeine is not allowed). But I am moving towards healthier sweets like brown rice with Stevia and cinnamon.

The complete Ornish Spectrum Program includes yoga, mediation and group support in addition to the diet. The entire program is not available in my community so I am doing what I can to approximate it on my own.

Dr. Ornish has published his research on this program in leading medical journals and has actually shown this program to reverse major diseases like CHD, diabetes II, and even shown degenerated DNA to repair itself (for those who remember biology, he has shown actual growth of DNA telomeres in subjects where they had become very short).

The research is amazing and this program does what it says it does, reverse disease caused by poor lifestyles and helped people with diseases that have a lifestyle component but involve more than bad health habits.

His early research on a far more strict diet showed reversal of blocked coronary arteries on angiogram, not much better proof than that. The changes where made to incorporate new research into healthy fats and increase compliance

Regular Contributor

On 1/9/2014 Nadine said:

I've been doing Paleo for a couple of months now, lost eleven lbs the first month and bp dropped. It's a learning curve for sure but I plan on continuing long term.

DH and I have been doing Paleo for over a year now. He's lost over 30 lbs (and dropped his LDL cholestrol number -- which is from the principles of the Wheat Belly diet & Paleo combined) and I've lost 14. We slipped off the wheat-free train during the holidays -- gained a couple of lbs each and felt lousy. Getting back on it wasn't hard! Feel so much better without wheat and flour.

Congrats Nadine -- ! Smile

Regular Contributor

On 1/9/2014 Lotus~ said:

I really enjoy roasted veggies.....butternut squash, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, asparagus....just about anything is good roasted. I just toss with a little olive oil and use a salt grinder to add a little sea salt and roast in a 400 degree preheated oven.

I like roasted portobello mushrooms too.....I make a mix of olive oil with Mrs Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning and then use a brush on both sides of the mushroom. Roast gill side up....test for doneness....if you roast several at a time they are done at different times.

Yum! I roast several types of veggies on Sunday and then pack em in ziplock baggies in the fridge. A quick zap in the microwave and they're a delicious additions to eggs or alongside a grilled chicken breast.

Frequent Contributor

Continuing a healthy eating plan for me..I lost 36 pounds since I started eating paleo in October. I have never felt better and for once in my life, I'm not hungry every 5 minutes. Whole, unprocessed foods. Lean meats, seafood, nut's, seeds, fruits & veggies.