Honored Contributor

Is there a reason all of the retinol serums are oily? I hate that. I never feel like the night cream I put over it is absorbing. Is there one that isn't oily and works?

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

Is there a reason all of the retinol serums are oily? I hate that. I never feel like the night cream I put over it is absorbing. Is there one that isn't oily and works?

@Judaline  I imagine it's to counteract any dryness that retinol can cause in some people.  I would recommend that you look up Mad Hippie Vitamin A Serum.  It's not oily at at all and is already bioavailable, meaning it doesn't require the conversion steps that retinol does, to penetrate and be used by the skin.  You can find reviews on the MH site, Vitacost, iHerb, and other places.  Shop for the best price and discount codes too.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Judaline

Nope, I do not know.  🤔

As a person with combo/oily skin, I’ve found Retin-A cream is much less oily.  On the nights I use Retin-A cream I use no other moisturizer before or after.

Retinol Serums are too oily for me.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I have oily skin and have used the Mad Hippie A, not oily at all.

Honored Contributor

I use the PTR retinol serum, and while it has a oily feel going on, it also feels like the oiliness evaporates.  I just don't apply my moisturizer immediately afterwards. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have oily skin and have used the Mad Hippie A, not oily at all.

I once tried a retinaldehyde  product-supposedly cut out the steps it takes to turn into retin A or something like that. I felt after a month that I had lost time. I saw wrinkles. I'm actually afraid of trying something like the Mad Hippie A, fearing it might happen again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline

Which serums were you trying? And how much were you using?

If its any consolation, weren't we reading a while ago that oils help as a delivery system? Which is why they are called, "carrier oils"?

Honored Contributor

@HarpaRight now I'm using the make-up artist's choice retinol. But I've tried others. They're all oily so maybe you're right. But then why don't all skin care items have oil in them? 

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@HarpaRight now I'm using the make-up artist's choice retinol. But I've tried others. They're all oily so maybe you're right. But then why don't all skin care items have oil in them? 

I can't answer that. I know the compositions of certain oils are better for some skin types. Some people feel they do not need any oil.

But most creams are some combination of moisture and oil. And mostly inert because they are only meant to protect the skin.

Then again, our own facial oil production should take care of most of our protection needs -- if all else is well.