Occasional Contributor

I currently use the TT oil (the $20 bottle) and just love how it makes my hair feel - it looks shinier and has a bounce to it! I see the oils are much more money now as I guess they're formualted differently now, so I was thinking of trying the serum. Would I can the same results do you think with the serum?

Honored Contributor

They products are totally different, so I don't think you'll get the same results. The serum will provide more shine, but it's also mostly silicones and won't provide the same effects on your hair as the oil.

You did not say how you're using the oil, so that makes it harder for us to help you. Please provide some information about how you're using the oils now.

Occasional Contributor

Yes, that probably would help! I put about 1/4 dropper full onto towel dried hair, rub it in good and then I blow dry my hair. It makes my hair so bouncy and shiney! I'm not sure if I should by the more expensive oil or try the serums? Thanks for your advice!

Honored Contributor

I agree with ChynnaBlue, they're totally different products. I consider the oil to be a treatment product and the serum to be a styling/finishing product.

Honored Contributor
On 4/7/2014 Timberjack said:

Yes, that probably would help! I put about 1/4 dropper full onto towel dried hair, rub it in good and then I blow dry my hair. It makes my hair so bouncy and shiney! I'm not sure if I should by the more expensive oil or try the serums? Thanks for your advice!

Ok, you can try the serum for shine, but it won't offer any treatment benefits for healthy hair, which the oils do. I find silicones tend to weigh my hair down, so you may not get the bounce you want.

If you really liked the oil, check the label for the ingredients. I think that the old Tea Tree oil was mostly jojoba oil with some tea tree oil added for benefits and scent and maybe a preservative, like Tocopherol. You can buy both oils at most health food stores (Whole Foods should have them, if you have one in your area) and then mix your own, leaving the Tocopherol out. I would experiment with ratios by using measuring spoons and adding a small amount of Tea Tree oil to a large amount of jojoba. Once you get a ratio you like, you can mix up a batch and pour it into your WEN Tea Tree bottle to keep the dropper dispenser in place.

Trusted Contributor

I love the WEN oils both as a treatment product and for styling. I also use the glossing serum for styling- it is wonderful to get that extra shine and to control frizz. BUT when you say that you use the oils before blow-drying - are you also using a heat protectant for your hair?? The glossing serum will provide that as the oils will not.

Honored Contributor
On 4/7/2014 untitled said:

I love the WEN oils both as a treatment product and for styling. I also use the glossing serum for styling- it is wonderful to get that extra shine and to control frizz. BUT when you say that you use the oils before blow-drying - are you also using a heat protectant for your hair?? The glossing serum will provide that as the oils will not.

That's a good point. Silicones act as a heat protectant and oils don't. I don't blow dry, so I often forget that others need heat protection.

Trusted Contributor
On 4/7/2014 ChynnaBlue said:
On 4/7/2014 untitled said:

That's a good point. Silicones act as a heat protectant and oils don't. I don't blow dry, so I often forget that others need heat protection.

oh me too- I don't use any heat on my hair either. But just really wanted to confirm with Timberjack that she was using something to protect the hair whether it be the styling creme or whatever. It was like an alarm went off. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Esteemed Contributor

The oils are good in the bath, hair and on the body (as you know).

Silicone serums are (synthetic) oils on steroids. You use them the same way you do oils.

Prior to Wen, I used silicone serums on a regular basis: I added them to my deep conditioners, used them as sealers, used them to melt tangles prior to shampooing and/or I used them in my leave-ins and stylers.

The benefits: moisture retention, minimal knots (curly hair) and frizz, shine.

I overmoisturized my course hair when I used silicones too frequently in my deep conditioners. That's something to consider. My curly hair felt like mush.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

If you like the old oils ... they are almost totally jojoba oil. You may want to give straight jojoba oil a try. I use it frequently.

I buy the oil at Trader Joes but you can read reviews at drugstore dot com.

Tonight I have the new fig oil on my scalp and jojoba oil on the rest of my hair. This makes the new Wen oils go much farther and I see no difference in the results.