Honored Contributor

Re: Oil free facial moisturizers - How can you tell, unless it specifically states?

OK.  We hear all the time about products that attract moisture, like hyaluronic acid, so that "moisturizes."  But then there are oily, greasy creams that "moisturize."  And water based, which is the same as hyaluronic acid does?

So are people looking for moisture, fats, both?  Does the fat hold in the moisture?  I am confused about the process now.  And there are toners which now attract water/moisture and do more things than tone, so can you just use that alone?😫

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oil free facial moisturizers - How can you tell, unless it specifically states?

Oil free (whatever that may mean) is not exactly the solution.

One of the worst breakouts I had was from Clinique's Moisture Surge.

Respected Contributor

I recently discovered the Budget Dermatologist on YouTube and she has a video for an oily skin routine with drug store products.  Towards the end of the video she includes a routine for dry skin that breaks out and a routine for sensitive skin that breaks out.  She included some water based moisturizers that might work for you. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I am thinking if I am having issues with millia and breaking out, then I don't want to add a lot of products with oil to my face.  I'm not saying oil is a bad thing.  I need moisture to my skin, for sure, but I'm thinking in order to keep my pores from getting more clogged or causing more issues, I'm better off, I would think, not using moisturizer on my face with known oil.  

@AngelPuppy1 

You may benefit from using a cleanser with glycolic acid either daily or intermittently, depending on your skin. That will help remove some of the thin layer of skin which might not be visible but it's there and it can accumulate. Milia and breakouts (pore clogs) are typical signs of not exfoliating enough. Glycolic acid will help dissolve the 'glue' which keeps dead skins cells remaining on the surface and help release the trapped milia beneath.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

OK.  We hear all the time about products that attract moisture, like hyaluronic acid, so that "moisturizes."  But then there are oily, greasy creams that "moisturize."  And water based, which is the same as hyaluronic acid does?

So are people looking for moisture, fats, both?  Does the fat hold in the moisture?  I am confused about the process now.  And there are toners which now attract water/moisture and do more things than tone, so can you just use that alone?😫

@Sooner 

Oils and fats are the same thing and those alone do not hydrate but they do prevent water loss from the skin.

Hyaluronic acid is a humectant meaning it attracts and holds onto moisture so the skin stays hydrated and will remain longer that way if an oil is applied on top of it. 

ETA - If you live in a humid environment then hyaluronic acid will work well w/o applying anything on top of it. However, if where you live has dry air then the hyaluronic acid may not have the moisture from the air to pull it onto your skin so in that case the hyaluronic acid pulls moisture out of your skin which would make your skin feel dryer. An oil on top would be the thing to do in that case. 

Respected Contributor

Have you tried not applying any moisturizer to your face? If moisturizers cause more issues than they resolve, I would just avoid applying them for a while and see how my skin responds.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Oil is not the only ingredient which can be problematic. Silicones and waxes can be just as problematic if not worse.

@SilleeMee 

Yikes --- I never even thought of those!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

Have you tried not applying any moisturizer to your face? If moisturizers cause more issues than they resolve, I would just avoid applying them for a while and see how my skin responds.

@Iwantcoffee 

I do that at times --- and then my skin starts to feel very parched.  My skin varies from day to day.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I am thinking if I am having issues with millia and breaking out, then I don't want to add a lot of products with oil to my face.  I'm not saying oil is a bad thing.  I need moisture to my skin, for sure, but I'm thinking in order to keep my pores from getting more clogged or causing more issues, I'm better off, I would think, not using moisturizer on my face with known oil.  

@AngelPuppy1 

You may benefit from using a cleanser with glycolic acid either daily or intermittently, depending on your skin. That will help remove some of the thin layer of skin which might not be visible but it's there and it can accumulate. Milia and breakouts (pore clogs) are typical signs of not exfoliating enough. Glycolic acid will help dissolve the 'glue' which keeps dead skins cells remaining on the surface and help release the trapped milia beneath.

@SilleeMee 

I am thinking regarding my skin needing exfoliating you are hitting the nail on the head!!!!  And this has caused and continues to cause many of my issues -- such as milia and blemishes.  But since I have such sensitive skin and rosacea, I can't use scrubs, etc. to, in essense, "clean out" this junky stuff in my skin.  Do you think I could actually use a glycolic acid product?

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I recently discovered the Budget Dermatologist on YouTube and she has a video for an oily skin routine with drug store products.  Towards the end of the video she includes a routine for dry skin that breaks out and a routine for sensitive skin that breaks out.  She included some water based moisturizers that might work for you. 

@itsmagic 

That sounds interesting -- thank you!