Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've heard about it but guess I don't really understand what its all about. I trust you ladies to fill me in on the pros and cons and why you would want to use it and how you use it, what kind of oil is it, etc.   Do you use it in place of a regular cleanser?  It just sounds so foreign to me to use an oil as a cleanser or to take makeup off that I'm not sure how it all works.  Not sure I'll make the change but am curious enough about it that I want to know more.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Oil Cleansing?

[ Edited ]

@JudyL wrote:

I've heard about it but guess I don't really understand what its all about. I trust you ladies to fill me in on the pros and cons and why you would want to use it and how you use it, what kind of oil is it, etc.   Do you use it in place of a regular cleanser?  It just sounds so foreign to me to use an oil as a cleanser or to take makeup off that I'm not sure how it all works.  Not sure I'll make the change but am curious enough about it that I want to know more.  Thank you!

@JudyL  I had never really heard of oil cleansing until Tatcha was first introduced on QVC.  I was intrigued by the concept.  Vicki (the Tatcha owner/creator) showed how to use the cleansing oil alone.  Way back when she started, she said to use it only at night and to use her powdered cleanser in the morning.  Now she seems to have changed that a bit.  Some people use the cleansing oil night and day.  Tatcha is very expensive, IMO, so I went on a search for a comparable dupe and found Dr. Young Camellia Deep Cleansing Oil on Amazon.  It's been one of my best beauty finds ever.  I've experimented with a couple of others, but didn't like them for one reason or another.  I've been using Dr. Young's for several years now.  I'm pretty sure some others here use it as well.  You can always check the reviews on Amazon.  The way I use it is to first use a makeup remover (facial cloth or pad with micellar water on it) as a pre-cleanse to get the surface stuff off.  I don't spend too much time being terribly thorough.  Then I'll take a pump or two of my cleansing oil and apply it to dry skin.  After rubbing it around my face, I'll get my fingers wet and massage some more.  The water turns the oil into a milk.  I'll then use my Foreo Luna dupe to finish cleansing and then rinse well with warm water (not too hot as that's harmful).  That's the way I do it, but others may use the cleansing oil as their first step and then follow with a foaming cleanser next.  I used to have combo skin with more oiliness concentrated in my T-zone.  A lot of people think that applying oil to one's skin is gross and would create more oiliness and breakouts.  The exact opposite is true, at least for me anyway.  Thinking back to science class, like disolves like.  That said, using a cleansing oil will actually help normalize the production of oil whereas using oil free products or drying products can also work in the opposite way of which they are intended.  When you apply drying products to your skin, the skin sends a message to the brain saying, "help, we're dry and need more oil".  It then  becomes a vicious cycle.  For me, using the cleansing oil at night has really helpd to normalize my skin's oil production.  The oil also does a deep cleaning without stripping.  It really did a great job of softening and eliminating the gunk in any enlarged pores in order to allow them to normalize again too. 

Respected Contributor

@JudyL  I'd been removing my makeup with micellar water, but I found that I was spending way too much money on cotton pads. Since it takes 4 or 5 cotton pads to clean my entire face.  So, I have switched to oil cleansing recently.  I use Burt's Bee's Cleansing Oil.  I rub it on my face dry, then put some water on my hand, and rub it again. Then I rinse, then wipe with my microfiber face cloth.  Then I use my regular cleanser (Tarte gel cleanser, or Serious Skin Care C cleanser) and wash my face again.  

Trusted Contributor

I have dry skin and DHC cleansing oil is perfect for my skin. 

Respected Contributor

I also use Dhc, have used it for 10 years. It is a great product, feels wonderful on skin, gentle, inexpensive- a real winner.

The deep cleansing oil and Velvet Skin  primer are my favorite Dhc products.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

@JudyL

Have you checked out the oil cleansing method dot com?  I experimented with the method back in 2009 or 2010 and the oil cleansing method website was extremely helpful.  Based on its recommendations I came up with a mixture that worked well for me: Castor oil, jojoba and olive oil.

I went to the site after reading your post and it appears much has changed.  There's a page of recipes and none mention olive or jojoba.

Oily Skin Cleansing Oil Recipe

30% castor oil

70% high linoleic sunflower oil

Acne Prone Skin Cleansing Oil Recipe

20% castor oil

40% high linoleic sunflower oil

40% grapeseed oil

Normal Skin Cleansing Oil Recipe

20% castor oil

80% high linoleic sunflower oil

Dry Skin Cleansing Oil Recipe

10% castor oil (use less for ultra dry skin)

30% high linoleic sunflower oil

60% avocado oil

Aging Skin Cleansing Oil Recipe

10% castor oil

10% high linoleic sunflower oil

40% evening primrose oil

40% rosehip seed oil

Interesting!  I know olive oil isn't recommended for all skin types, but jojoba was the Holy Grail.  The world of oil has had a major oil change!

When I was using my oils I massaged them into my face and I could feel the crud coming out of my pores.  Sorry, but I could.  Then I'd remove the oil with a clean white washcloth that I'd soaked in hot water.  I'd keep applying the moist cloth to my face until I felt most of the oil was off and there was just enough left to leave a little behind so I wouldn't need a moisturizer.

I loved it.  It was like yoga for the face.  So why did I stop?  I couldn't afford to sit there in a trance massaging my face.  I didn't want to stop!  So relaxing!  But if you have to get to work you gotta speed it up.

I just think it's interesting that the site is recommending different oils now.  But be aware that there are several websites out there that champion the method and all have slightly different recommendations.

The bonus is that oils are relatively inexpensive compared to some of the high-priced facial cleansers.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

When I first tried this a few years back, I couldn't believe how beautiful and glowing my skin was!

Comprehensive explanations - theoilcleansingmethod dot com, and Minimalist Beauty - oils sepcifically for acne prone skin.

I've changed my a.m. routine to include facial massage (in essence: oil cleansing) and then Korean 7-skin pat-pat toning method. This has taken my skin to a whole new level! (too much to explain in detail.)

Regular Contributor

Trader Joes cleansing oil.  effective and inexpensive.

Respected Contributor

I am fairly new to the double-cleanse method (i.e. oil cleansing followed by another cleanser) and I love it.  At the moment, I'm using the Simple brand of cleansing oil that I found at my grocery store and I'm liking it a lot.  It's inexpensive and does the job.  I pour about half a teaspoon of it into my palm, rub my hands together and massage it over my dry face to remove my makeup.  I thoroughly enjoy this massage, it's relaxing and I can feel my makeup melting off.  I'll then wet my hands and rub them over my face, turning the oil into a milk, then rinse it off, follow with the CeraVe foaming cleanser and rinse.  I had been using my Clarisonic every night but I'm finding this method cleans my skin so well (and leaves it soft, not stripped) that I've been using it less and less.  I have the Hada Labo cleansing oil in queue to try when I run out of the Simple.  This one comes highly recommended by Dr. Dray on YouTube.  HTH

Honored Contributor

On nights when I wear heavy make up I do an oil cleanse first and then I use my regular cleanser. I have oily skin and it does not add additional oil to my skin

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.