Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Oh no - lost my hair stylist

i am a person who feels the most important aspect of my hairstyle is the cut. I searched high & low when we moved to get a great stylist who does a good cut. Well, I have been away for 4 months and come back to find my great stylist has sold her salon and moved back to Viet nam. AAACCK! The lady who is there now is very nice and an American so you can actually have a conversation with her but the haircut is only marginally good. And she is a senior citizen and tells me she is only going to keep the salon long enough to sell it at a profit as she invested all her savings into it.So she is temporary at best.I guess I am back on the quest for a new stylist. I hate when this happens.Just when you get comfortable with something!

Respected Contributor

Re: Oh no - lost my hair stylist

Ugh, I feel your pain!  Right at this moment in time I am blessed to have a wonderful stylist who has helped me with my hair for about 6 years now.  She is young and has young children and I hope she sticks around until I no longer need her  . . . I've had MORE than my fair share of bad stylists and tear-inducing haircuts in my life!

Contributor

I also lost my hair stylist when she retired and moved to Florida. I live in MA. What I did then was to look to my friends and if I saw one that had a hair style, then I asked them who does their hair.

Well, I got the name, made an appointment and now have been going to my new hair stylist for 11 years.

She even has customers that have been going to her for 30 + years.

Try this advise out and then let me know how it all turns out ok.

Honored Contributor

why is the new stylist having such difficulty? Can you post a pic of the hairstyle/cut?

Super Contributor

OMG, if I lost my hair stylist I'd be in REALLY big trouble!  I do my own hair!!!

Woman Surprised

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Respected Contributor

That is a big deal.  It's hard to find someone who does your hair just right.  It probably sounds funny to some people but I would really miss my stylist if she left.

Respected Contributor

Who is training these people?!  I just get my bangs trimmed and the very ends of my hair trimmed and they still can't manage to do it right.  The last person left the back of my hair uneven.  The one time I actually decided to do something a little different it was a disaster. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm 38 and have been going to my hair sytlist since I was 17.  When I first started going to her I was a bratty teenager who was upset if she took off 1/4 inch.  Compare that to now where I sit in her chair and say do whatever.  I love her and have told her she can never retire.  

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

I feel for you...Have been there myself.

Over the years, my hair disasters have played out like a movie..."The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".  

I think we have all gone through this at some point in our lives. Ask around, this is what I did...I even asked, store grocery clerks, "Who does you hair if you don't mind me asking"?  In the end, I found someone who I have been happy with and it going on 16 years.

Respected Contributor

this is precisely why i no longer wear my hair in a short, layered cut.  i am very picky about my hair being 'just right' and i would go for a haircut every 4 weeks to keep it looking the way i wanted.  but then, i would just get used to a stylist and before i knew it that stylist was gone.  it was wearing me out.

now i wear my hair all one length and it varies from chin length to shoulder length...depending on my mood.  i only get a trim two or three times a year (again, depending on my mood) and the cut is so simple that it's hard to screw it up.  (although this has happened!)  

i wish you luck.  hunting for that one special stylist is no fun.