Trusted Contributor

Official new Drugstore Diva's Thread for June 2021!

[ Edited ]

Well, it's your new friend, SquirrelLover, here starting our new monthly thread for our new group Drugstore Divas, beauty lovers who want to lower their spending for all things beauty by slowly replacing high-end or simply expensive beauty brands with more affordable priced options from drugstores or mass-market retailers such as Walmart, Target, even the dollar store in some cases. I am on this journey with you because my husband and hope to retire in the next three to five years so I need to learn to live on a smaller budget. 

I agree with some of the posters here who said that we must make sure that we do not link any of our pictures to links to other places to purchase so the thread isn't poofed from the QVC moderators. You can post pictures with the name and information about the product without adding the link to where to purchase it. Also, I kindly request that High-End Divas who want to comment on how great high-end products create their own thread touting your love of expensive products. I am starting this monthly thread that will be started anew each month for women who wish to discuss less expensive cosmetics, haircare, body care, and all things beauty. 

I decided to try some lower-end makeup when I went online to look at a you tuber called Hot and Flashy that I read about on a beauty blog. She is a vlogger that is 57 and loves to make short youtube vignettes about beauty over 50. The videos where she demonstrates low-end products piqued my interest. It was one in which she tried e.l.f's putty concealer, camo concealer, and camo CC cream. These are dupes for Tacha's the silk canvas, Tarte's shape tape, and IT Cosmetics CC cream. Well, she said that she preferred the e.l.f. camo cc cream over IT's CC cream. I decided to google the e.l.f. camo cream and whoa apparently many women think that it is better than it's CC cream. I have IT's CC cream in light and I can't wear it it is too dark for my skin and the other shades are too light. I went out and bought the e.l.f. camo cream and the shade is perfect and the product is even better than IT's. This is the beginning of my journey into exploring "drugstore" makeup.

Camo CC Cream, Fair 120 N - fair with neutral undertonesHydrating Camo Concealer, Light Sand - light with neutral undertonesPoreless Putty Primer, 's 

I started with these three products and I have been trying more as well. The Burt's Bees blush in Shy Pink is the best pink blush that I have ever tried.

I never thought that I would find the cool-toned eyeshadows would be found at ColourPop.

Cooler Than Me

Blush quad from ColourPoP

Extra Glazed

Extra Glazed (Pinks)

ColourPop Lip liners

BFF PencilOh Snap Pencil

Better than my MAC brow gel is ColourPops clear brow gel

Clear

Just a start to our conversation.

Just a few brands that we are talking about here:

Maybelline

Revlon

Neutrogena

Physicians Formula

Hard Candy

Wet & Wild 

Essence

Morphe

Nyx

L'Oreal

Flower Beauty            

ColourPop

Rimmel

Opal

Milani

Covergirl

Revolution

e.l.f

Boots number 7 

Pixi

BH Cosmetics

Olay

Cetaphil

Cerave

etc, etc., etc......

Honored Contributor

Re: Official new Drugstore Diva's Thread for June 2021!

I've never joined into one of these long running threads, but I think this one is a very good idea.  My area of concern is skin care, meaning moisturizers and serums.  I'm currently using Elemis, Philosophy Ultimate Miracle Worker, PTR retinol, and Ole Henrikson Truth Serum.  I'd love to find drugstore subs, this stuff is all pricy..  I cancelled my Elemis auto ship yesterday, guess that means I'm serious.  

Trusted Contributor

I am currently using

Whipped Argan Oil Face Butter | Natural Face Moisturizer - Josie Maran Cosmetics Juicy Mango  

But when I finish it I am going to try America's best selling night face cream:

Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream, Advanced Anti-Ageing Moisturizer, 50g (1.7 Oz) (1 Pack), Ivory

Esteemed Contributor

I've been using Neutrogena Deep Clean cleanser for a long time. It does a good job and is mild so doesn't irritate. 

Recently I bought Physicians Formula Natural Defense concealer in light/medium shade. It worked well, covering up some imperfections, but I don't care much for the tubing. The makeup isn't easy to get out of the tube, but once I got the hang of it, everything worked out. Also, it doesn't seem to hold much, but I don't need to use a lot for coverage, anyway. 

When it's gone I might try another Physicians Formula with better packaging. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

@Squirrel Lover  Thank you for this thread!  I've jotted down some of your suggestions, like the Elf camo cream. I still have a tube of IT cc in light and it looks too thick on. 
   While wearing masks I've only been wearing tinted moisturizer. Yesterday I bought some Clinique for redness on my chin at the Post Exchange. It's cheaper there but it and a tinted moisturizer were still expensive. 
    Today I ordered new tires for my car, so I will be sure to follow suggestions on your thread for more inexpensive products. 
     With less expensive brands I won't feel as guilty tossing them out as they age and buying new.

💄 💋 👁 💸 🧴🧼

Honored Contributor

I recently asked for a recommendation for a bronzer.  Two suggestions that appealed to me were the Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer and another one by Milani.  I ended up buying the PF and boy, do I like it!  It blends so easily and is not muddy at all on my light-medium skin.  I bought mine from Amazon for around $10.

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch I bought this last week in Light Bronze. It is my first bronzer and it is wonderful. It smells like coconuts. Excellent product!

Honored Contributor

Once upon a time, I was a big fan of Josie Maran's Matchmaker Foundation.  The liquid version started out white and changed color to adapt and blend in with the skin.  I've read negative comments about it being white.  I believe user error was part of the issue with these reviews because you really have to rub it in.  L'oreal has a similar product called Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream.  I love this stuff, especially this time of year.  You can't even feel it on your face and it adapts to my skintone nicely.  Usually runs around $10 +/-

See the source image

Honored Contributor

Can't stay long but I bought the ELF primer in the pink pump bottle to replace the Hourglass primer.  It didn't go well Smiley Sad  It is oily and even SMELLS like oil (from a Texas oil pump).  My Fenty skin tint went on well over it but I don't think I can use something that is so oily feeling and smelly.  I don't have an issue with pores so maybe this is the wrong formula for me.  I see that they have a hydrating formula.  I might give that a try.  First try out the gate for a drugstore option is two thumbs down Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover   Great idea for a new thread.  I don't use a lot of different products but am interested in what others use.  

I have never heard of a lot of the items the ladies are using.