Trusted Contributor

Re: Official July 2021 Drugstore/Inexpensive Beauty Thread

My recommendation for a great hair product is Giovanni Direct Leave In Weightless Moisture Conditioner, about $7 or 8.  I've been looking for a leave-in with clean ingredients and NO silicone (silicone dries out hair, my hair at least).  It adds body, detangles, defrizzes, encourages curl and leaves hair feeling healthy  without weighing it down.  My hair is medium thick, they say it's for fine hair.

@JudyL  The Flower Beauty Pot Blushes are very nice.  I have a bright pink one called Wild Rose.  It's insanely bright in the compact but not on the skin.  Hope you like yours.

Trusted Contributor

On a lark I picked up an ELF under eye 'brightener'.  It's a lightweight concealer type pen that clicks from the bottom, much like the YSL Touche Eclat.  The pen is a peach color.

This stuff works great!  I have a drawer full of concealers of all price ranges and this is my new favorite.  It's not a heavy coverage item, but doesn't seem to crease and looks good even in the summer heat.  

I've forgotten how much I paid for it, but it's ELF after all!  

Honored Contributor

@Sammijo10 wrote:

On a lark I picked up an ELF under eye 'brightener'.  It's a lightweight concealer type pen that clicks from the bottom, much like the YSL Touche Eclat.  The pen is a peach color.

This stuff works great!  I have a drawer full of concealers of all price ranges and this is my new favorite.  It's not a heavy coverage item, but doesn't seem to crease and looks good even in the summer heat.  

I've forgotten how much I paid for it, but it's ELF after all!  

@Sammijo10 thanks for posting about this!  Will put it on my list and check it out next time I'm in ULTA.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Official July 2021 Igstore/Inexpensive Beauty Thread

I have found the best prices at Dollar Tree.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

Re: Official July 2021 Igstore/Inexpensive Beauty Thread

I am on board with finding an alternative to the Lancer scrub too.  I am using  a sample that came in the beauty with benefits bag and really love it.  I use retin A and the Lancer scrub feels "sharp" to me but doesn't make my skin red or irritated.  Hanging onto the recommendations made here by @SilleeMee and @JeanLouiseFinch  to try as soon as my sample runs out.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, as the originator of this thread some of the less expensive products I have tried have been duds. I simply can't find anything as good as Bareminerals Complexion Rescue Cream~nada. So, that being the case I am not going to waste any more money trying to replace it and just accept that I need that. I love this product and none of it is wasted so this tells me that it is a "value" to me.

L'Oreal's Lash Paradise has lived up to the hype though and I will be replacing my Lancome Definicils with Lash Paradise. Also, Maybelline's Baby Skin Primer is very good at $6.00 and compares a little to Smashbox's silicone primer.  

Milani's baked blush in Luminoso is NOT a dupe for Nars Orgasm, which is my go-to blush. It is powdery and orange and lacks the warm pink undertones of Nars Orgasm. But Burt's Bees Shy Pink blush is wonderful and fully compares to other high-end blushes for color saturation, wearability, and longevity. And, so far nothing beats Laura Mercier's loose face powder. 

So far my verdict is that if something is the perfect product for you it is worth it to buy it, but things like lip gloss and mascaras are not worth spending a lot of money on.

Honored Contributor

Reporting on a couple of items from the drugstore that I have been using for a week or so and aleady love and will be going to buy back-ups this weekend.

One is Tree Hut Vit C sugar scrub.  This is fabulous!  Was using Josie Maran's sugar scrub but it was expensive and made my tub scary slippery.  The Tree Hut sugar scrub is I think just as good maybe even better and doesn't make my tub slippery.  At $5 or $6 for a good size tub, this is a happy switch for me.  There are a lot of choices/scents to choose from if you don't want the Vit C option.

Also, tried the Burt's Bee's oil cleanser.  Was using Paula's Choice oil cleanser and liked it a lot.  BB's is a tad cheaper but you get 2 more ounces and I can get it locally.  I think BB's oil cleanser is just as good as PC's and am glad I made the switch.

Read on ULTA that Burt's Bee's has come out with a calming toner so going to pick that up this weekend and will try it when I run out of Paula's Choice Calming Toner, which should be soon. Will report on that later.

@Squirrel Lover I agree with you re trying to find dupes.  Some work, some don't but its not worth spending a lot of money trying to find a dupe or at least an acceptable dupe.  I know from experience that I've ended up wasting money trying to find another product instead of just sticking with one that I know works for me.  My new rule is that I will try 2-3 alternatives and if not happy, then I'll go back to what I was using. 

Trusted Contributor

FYI@Squirrel Lover  I see you rave about this product, have you seen this Beauty IQ Steal- Bare MInerals Complexion Rescue DUO-  $29. for 2,  A453955  

Trusted Contributor

@decaf Yes, just got it in the mail today!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Squirrel Lover  Great, I thought of you when I saw that, I'm going to try it for that price.