Honored Contributor

Re: Official July 2021 Drugstore/Inexpensive Beauty Thread

@Toots711 wrote:

@Squirrel Lover and Others. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hair gel similar to Dippity Do, which I used "back in the day" and is no longer available?  TYIA!

F225E1C7-1111-42CD-BF9D-BFE6619A447D.jpeg

@Toots711 

I found this gel. The label says it's the Dippity-do Original Hair Gel.

Amazon.com : Dippity Do Original Hair Gel, Volume 10+, XX-treme Hold  (Durable), Power, 350 ml / 11.8 Fl Oz : Beauty

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

A few weeks ago I bought me some Prell shampoo...yup that original green stuff that still smells the same. I've been using it every other shampoo and my hair looks and feels great. It's loaded with sulfates so if you color your hair Prell will strip your coloring. I don't color my hair and my hair is oily so I love Prell shampoo. No need to scrub, scrub, scrub either. Just some gently finger massaging and my hair gets squeaky clean. Nothing feels better than a clean scalp and head of hair.

The one and only Prell Classic Shampoo 13.5 oz for less than $3

Been around for over 70 years.

Prell Shampoo, Classic Clean 13.50 oz (Pack of 3)

@SilleeMee , a couple of years ago the girl that colored my hair created a disaster.  Her solution was for me to go get Prell and use it to strip some of the color.  She said that or Dawn original dish soap would work.  LOL

I always loved the smell of Prell.  

Honored Contributor

I just made a new post, but wanted to include it here too.  I'm loving NYX Butter Gloss these days.  It is pigmented, goes on smoothly, and isn't at all sticky.  If you want it darker, you could lay down some similarly colored lip liner first and apply the glossy over it.  A tube runs around $5.00 but it's cheaper on Amazon.  

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

SquirrelLover, here starting our monthly July 2021 thread for our new group Drugstore Divas, beauty lovers who want to lower their spending for all things beauty by slowly replacing high-end or simply expensive beauty brands with more affordable priced options from drugstores or mass-market retailers such as Walmart, Target, even the dollar store in some cases. I am on this journey with you because my husband and hope to retire in the next three to five years so I need to learn to live on a smaller budget. 

I am extending the title to inexpensive to be more inclusive of where affordable beauty products are bought. I hope that last month's thread was helpful to you I know that I have learned a lot. 

Thank you all for participating.

@Squirrel Lover   Drugstore Beauty here...especially with a 30% off CVS coupon.

I get my Essie polish, Serche Vite top coat, Burts Bees everything and drugstore shampoos and deep conditioners are favorites. They also have essential oils. I always get a bottle of lavendar to use in my "mister" that's in my studio. 

@Shanus 

Hi Shanus - how does one get a 30% off CVS coupon and what brand of lavender essential oil are you buying there? TIA

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I just made a new post, but wanted to include it here too.  I'm loving NYX Butter Gloss these days.  It is pigmented, goes on smoothly, and isn't at all sticky.  If you want it darker, you could lay down some similarly colored lip liner first and apply the glossy over it.  A tube runs around $5.00 but it's cheaper on Amazon.  

@JeanLouiseFinch - I agree!  Found these last month and now have 4 of them.  Love them.  They go on so nice and, as you said, are not sticky.  Color is good.  They have become a favorite.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Last week I posted that I wasn't going to buy any new makeup for a while.  Well that didn't last.  Yesterday I placed an order with ULTA - 2 Milani blushes - Petal Primavera and Luminoso and a Flower Beauty blush - Sweet Pea, I think it was.  Also purchased a NYX lip liner in nude pink and some NYX setting spray.  Heard about all these products from watching Allie Glines beauty videos on YouTube.  She does great videos on just drugstore products and also uses a mix of drugstore and higher end on her other videos too.

Will do a review when I get them. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Official July 2021 Igstore/Inexpensive Beauty Thread

I'm still open to suggestions on a scrub to replace my Lancer scrub.  I only use a scrub once or twice a week since I use Retin A.  

I really like the Lancer scrub, but it's so darn expensive.  I would love to find an inexpensive one to replace it.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

I'm still open to suggestions on a scrub to replace my Lancer scrub.  I only use a scrub once or twice a week since I use Retin A.  

I really like the Lancer scrub, but it's so darn expensive.  I would love to find an inexpensive one to replace it.

@San Antonio Gal 

I just watched a video where a woman compared the Lancer with Derma-E Microdermabrasion Scrub. She said her results were the same and that the Lancer was not worth the price for the same results.  Derma-E costs about $23 for a 2-oz jar.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@San Antonio Gal  Have you ever checked out Vasanti Brighten Up Skin Rejuvenator?  It's a very fine, gentle scrub, in a cream puff enzymatic base.  One of my faves.  I also like the Eminence Strawberry Dermafoliant.  It's a powder that you add water too.  Also a favorite.  Most recently, I tried the Perlier Black Rice Scrub, and like that one too.  It's also a cream base with scrubbies. 

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

SquirrelLover, here starting our monthly July 2021 thread for our new group Drugstore Divas, beauty lovers who want to lower their spending for all things beauty by slowly replacing high-end or simply expensive beauty brands with more affordable priced options from drugstores or mass-market retailers such as Walmart, Target, even the dollar store in some cases. I am on this journey with you because my husband and hope to retire in the next three to five years so I need to learn to live on a smaller budget. 

I am extending the title to inexpensive to be more inclusive of where affordable beauty products are bought. I hope that last month's thread was helpful to you I know that I have learned a lot. 

Thank you all for participating.

@Squirrel Lover   Drugstore Beauty here...especially with a 30% off CVS coupon.

I get my Essie polish, Serche Vite top coat, Burts Bees everything and drugstore shampoos and deep conditioners are favorites. They also have essential oils. I always get a bottle of lavendar to use in my "mister" that's in my studio. 

@Shanus 

Hi Shanus - how does one get a 30% off CVS coupon and what brand of lavender essential oil are you buying there? TIA

@scatcat   We get our RXs  there and have a CVS customer card for other purchases. The 30% off entire purchases (not RXs) comes in the mail almost monthly. Maybe ask about it.