Trusted Contributor

Official July 2021 Drugstore/Inexpensive Beauty Thread

SquirrelLover, here starting our monthly July 2021 thread for our new group Drugstore Divas, beauty lovers who want to lower their spending for all things beauty by slowly replacing high-end or simply expensive beauty brands with more affordable priced options from drugstores or mass-market retailers such as Walmart, Target, even the dollar store in some cases. I am on this journey with you because my husband and hope to retire in the next three to five years so I need to learn to live on a smaller budget. 

I am extending the title to inexpensive to be more inclusive of where affordable beauty products are bought. I hope that last month's thread was helpful to you I know that I have learned a lot. 

Thank you all for participating.

Respected Contributor

Re: Official July 2021 Drugstore/Inexpensive Beauty Thread

@Squirrel Lover  With pencil and paper handy, I'm ready to learn and take notes.  Thank you for this.  📝💄👝🛍

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

SquirrelLover, here starting our monthly July 2021 thread for our new group Drugstore Divas, beauty lovers who want to lower their spending for all things beauty by slowly replacing high-end or simply expensive beauty brands with more affordable priced options from drugstores or mass-market retailers such as Walmart, Target, even the dollar store in some cases. I am on this journey with you because my husband and hope to retire in the next three to five years so I need to learn to live on a smaller budget. 

I am extending the title to inexpensive to be more inclusive of where affordable beauty products are bought. I hope that last month's thread was helpful to you I know that I have learned a lot. 

@Squirrel Lover   Drugstore Beauty here...especially with a 30% off CVS coupon.

I get my Essie polish, Serche Vite top coat, Burts Bees everything and drugstore shampoos and deep conditioners are favorites. They also have essential oils. I always get a bottle of lavendar to use in my "mister" that's in my studio. 

Trusted Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

@Squirrel Lover    Can't live without Sally Hanson Moisture Rehab Nail Strengthener at CVS.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love this lip balm! It's the kind that changes to a really pretty shade of natural looking light  pink. It's glossy, very moisturizing and the pink color on my lips even lasts after the balm has worn away from my lips. Best part is it costs only about $3. 

Maybelline Baby Lips Glow Lip Balm  in "My Pink" shade - $3

Maybelline Baby Lips Glow Lip Balm, My Pink, 0.13 oz.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee , I've never tried that particular one but I love the other Baby Lips products I've tried.  

I was afraid to try the clear that changes because I tried the one from IT before and it turned a horrible shade of pink on me.  It was unwearable and I ended up tossing it so I'm a little gun shy. But for the price, what do I have to lose? 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover and Others. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hair gel similar to Dippity Do, which I used "back in the day" and is no longer available?  TYIA!

F225E1C7-1111-42CD-BF9D-BFE6619A447D.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Toots711 wrote:

@Squirrel Lover and Others. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hair gel similar to Dippity Do, which I used "back in the day" and is no longer available?  TYIA!

@Toots711 OMG what a blast from the past.  I used that back in the day.  My mom always used it as well on her permed hair.  

I'm not sure how similar it is but the other day I was in Walmart and they had a product by LA Looks that reminded me of Dippity Do.  It's in a squeeze bottle though and I believe it came in different "holds."

I think Amazon carries this as well.  It's not expensive.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few weeks ago I bought me some Prell shampoo...yup that original green stuff that still smells the same. I've been using it every other shampoo and my hair looks and feels great. It's loaded with sulfates so if you color your hair Prell will strip your coloring. I don't color my hair and my hair is oily so I love Prell shampoo. No need to scrub, scrub, scrub either. Just some gently finger massaging and my hair gets squeaky clean. Nothing feels better than a clean scalp and head of hair.

The one and only Prell Classic Shampoo 13.5 oz for less than $3

Been around for over 70 years.

Prell Shampoo, Classic Clean 13.50 oz (Pack of 3)

Honored Contributor

@Toots711 wrote:

F225E1C7-1111-42CD-BF9D-BFE6619A447D.jpeg

I use (used) something similar that I either purchased at the dollar store or walmart...This is what I am currently using. Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 11.50.54 AM.png