Honored Contributor

Official August 2021 Drugstore/Inexpensive Beauty Thread

[ Edited ]

Copied from July 2021

SquirrelLover, here starting our monthly July 2021 thread for our new group Drugstore Divas, beauty lovers who want to lower their spending for all things beauty by slowly replacing high-end or simply expensive beauty brands with more affordable priced options from drugstores or mass-market retailers such as Walmart, Target, even the dollar store in some cases. I am on this journey with you because my husband and hope to retire in the next three to five years so I need to learn to live on a smaller budget. 

I am extending the title to inexpensive to be more inclusive of where affordable beauty products are bought. I hope that last month's thread was helpful to you I know that I have learned a lot. 

Thank you all for participating.

Good morning Divas!  I sure hope @Squirrel Lover is OK.  I don't recall seeing any posts from her recently and we're now a week into August and the monthly Drugstore Divas thread hasn't begun.  I, in NO way, am taking over for SL.  I just thought I'd get this month's conversation going while she seems to be indisposed.  

The other day, I picked up two different kinds of Alba Botanica Hawaiian face wash/cleanser at TJMaxx; the Pineapple Enzymatic and the Coconut Milk.  They were only something like $7.00 each (8 oz. bottles).  I've only used the pineapple once (yesterday morning) but used the coconut twice (Thursday night and last night).  The jury is still out on the pineapple, but already I'm not crazy about the coconut one. Something in it is causing an irritating and somewhat burning feeling on my skin. It doesn't last beyond cleansing, only while it's actually on my face, but I'm hesitant to continue using it if that's going to be an ongoing thing.  Good thing it didn't cost much.  

I ordered a set of LANKIZ magnetic false eyelashes from Amazon - five different styles with 10 magnets on each lash, plus an application tool and two tubes of special eyeliner - all for $11.  The kit arrived yesterday and then I realized I didn't have any oil free makeup remover so that's on its way.  I want to play but will have to wait until it gets here. 

Amazon also has the Naturium 12% Niacinamide 2% Zinc serum that sounded interesting.  I'm nearly finished with my bottle from The Ordinary so I thought I'd give it a try - just under $17

Another poster recommended L'Oréal Infallible Glow Pro Foundation.  I wish I could recall who that was so I could give proper attribution. I found it on Amazon for under $10 so I thought I'd five it a try.  

For fun, I ordered some DEROL Lip Plumping Serum for around $16.  There's an AM and a PM bottle in the kit.  I'm game to try it, but will return if it's a dud.  

So, what kind of inexpensive gems and/or duds are you finding this month?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Official August 2021 Drugstore/Inexpensive Beauty Thread

@JeanLouiseFinch  Thank you, Jean, for taking over this month. I having some health issues and we are celebrating the birth of our second grandchild.

The health issues include a weird thing called vestibular of central origin. I have to have an MRI brain scan in two weeks. My mother has Parkinson's disease so my doctor is concerned. 

So, my mind has been a little preoccupied. I appreciate that Jean has stepped up with keeping the thread going!

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch  Thank you, Jean, for taking over this month. I having some health issues and we are celebrating the birth of our second grandchild.

The health issues include a weird thing called vestibular of central origin. I have to have an MRI brain scan in two weeks. My mother has Parkinson's disease so my doctor is concerned. 

So, my mind has been a little preoccupied. I appreciate that Jean has stepped up with keeping the thread going!

@Squirrel Lover  All of that is certainly the priority.  I hope the MRI gives you the answers you seek and that the proper treatment can be applied.  Take care of yourself and enjoy your family.  Being a grandma is the best!

Esteemed Contributor

ELF e/s primer and four color palette , cream and sugar. The colors are browns, both light and  dark with bronze tones. 

Also jasmine and lavander scented Dial body wash. It's as nice as anything from Bath and Body Wash for much less. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover Your health takes precedence over anything here.  Will be sending positive, healing thoughts your way.  Wishing you strength and peace during this time.

@JeanLouiseFinch - Thank you for starting the thread!  I use the L'Oreal Infallible Pro Glow Foundation and really like it.  More than I thought I would.  Hope you do also.

Ok, for my purchases - so far, the month is young:

L'Oreal Infallible 24 hour Fresh Wear Foundation - this is different that the Pro Glow.  This has a higher spf and its a mineral spf which I prefer so trying it out.

Maybelline - ok, was in Ulta the other day and finally succumbed  - I bought the Nudes of New York eyeshadow pallete.  Every time I went into Ulta and saw it, I was so drawn to it so decided to quit resisting.

Maybelline Lash Sensational mascara in very black.  Heard about this multiple times by Allie Glines on her YT videos as being her favorite drugstore mascara so thought I'd give it a try.

L'Oreal Voluminous Lash Paradise mascara - another one heard about on YT videos a number of times so trying it out.

Thats it, but as I said, the month is young.....

EDITED to add: Forgot to mention the Milani Baked Blush in Dolce Pink.  Really like Milani blushes and this color seems to be popular one so thought it was worth a try.

Super Contributor

@JudyL EDITED to add: Forgot to mention the Milani Baked Blush in Dolce Pink.

Would love to know how you like this blush. Milani Luminioso has been my go to blush for years and boy it is hard to find.

Honored Contributor

Have any of you tried the Real Techniques make-up brushes?  If so, how do they perform as compared to IT make-up brushes?  I'm tempted to try them, because their make-up sponges are fabulous, much better than BeautyBlender.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

Have any of you tried the Real Techniques make-up brushes?  If so, how do they perform as compared to IT make-up brushes?  I'm tempted to try them, because their make-up sponges are fabulous, much better than BeautyBlender.

@SurferWife - I have quite a few Real Techniques brushes and like them a lot.  They work great, clean easily, blend well and seem to hold up just fine.  I also have some IT brushes but now mostly buy Real Techniques when I need a new brush. 

Honored Contributor

@cozyseeker wrote:

@JudyL EDITED to add: Forgot to mention the Milani Baked Blush in Dolce Pink.

Would love to know how you like this blush. Milani Luminioso has been my go to blush for years and boy it is hard to find.

@cozyseeker - Used the Dolce Pink today for the first time and really like it.  Don't need a lot. It is pink but not garishly pink.  Sometimes pinks will look fine in the pan but then look brownish on me.  This does not.  It goes on nicely, blends well just like my other Milani blushes.  Also used the Milani bronzer in Sun Kissed and they looked nice together.  This blush will be a keeper.

Bought my Luminoso from Ulta but noticed yesterday that they were out in the store, they may have it online.  I do know you can get it from the Milani website too.

Super Contributor

@JudyL Used the Dolce Pink today for the first time and really like it.

This sounds like a great pink that doesn't look TOO pink. I will try it next, also will keep ulta in mind for my next Luminoso. Thanks for your review Smiley Happy)