Honored Contributor

Re: Offer advice or leave it be?

@Abrowneyegirl, Speaking as a 69 going on 70 person. There comes a time around this age, where we say, ok, time to pull the plug on that one. Don't say anything, over 21 she can decide. Let her relax, she at this age, really only should be pleasing herself. Just my 2 cents. That's how I see it, if you were mine, that's what I'd tell you.

Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

By the way, I have thick wavy medium texture hair myself and I love it long. For one thing length adds weight which reduces the volume some. My hair has been hip length but right now I'm still growing it back out from a chop and it's almost to my waist again. If she wants to wear it up sometimes, you could get her some nice hair toys.

This is the one hope I held out for - the shear weight would pull it down, but because it is coarse and the gray is wiry she is getting very WIDE hair like Rosanna Dane without the bangs and much more gray. 

The longer it gets the wider it gets.  And like me when it is humid out, oh my!

WEN has made a world of difference to my hair AKA barimetic reader!

Honored Contributor

Leave it be.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey, how about Roseann Rose ann a Danna? Now that ran through my head!

"

This is the one hope I held out for - the shear weight would pull it down, but because it is coarse and the gray is wiry she is getting very WIDE hair like Rosanna Dane without the bangs and much more gray. 

The longer it gets the wider it gets.  And like me when it is humid out, oh my!"

@Abrowneyegirl, when you said Rosanna, my thought went right to RRWoman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

By the way, I have thick wavy medium texture hair myself and I love it long. For one thing length adds weight which reduces the volume some. My hair has been hip length but right now I'm still growing it back out from a chop and it's almost to my waist again. If she wants to wear it up sometimes, you could get her some nice hair toys.

@Abrowneyegirl I also use Wen. How long is her hair now?

Mine doesn't really start to show the weight until it hits my back bra strap in length. Also if her hair is layered at all or she's growing out layers that also contributes to volume. I have to do a blunt cut. In fact when my hair was short, my hair dresser used to use thining shears on it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Say nothing. Bite your tongue if need be. My mother decided to stop coloring her dark-brown-dyed hair when she was in her 80s. If I had been in her place, I would have colored my hair grey while the dark brown was growing out. My mother didn't want to spend the money to do that. For months her hair looked like a skunk. I said nothing. I'm glad I kept my mouth shut,

Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

Mine doesn't really start to show the weight until it hits my back bra strap in length. Also if her hair is layered at all or she's growing out layers that also contributes to volume. I have to do a blunt cut. In fact when my hair was short, my hair dresser used to use thining shears on it. 

Her hair is all one layer, no bangs - it is just past her shoulders and almost as wide.  If humid, ugh!  When I say Rosanna (as her brothers now call her) I mean it seriously!

Thinning shears have always been a friend of my mother's and mine.  When she wore her hair shorter sort of like Paula Dean's style the thinning shears were a must.  She could wear that style with little to no effort.

Trusted Contributor

I'm your mom's age, and it also sounds like we have very similar hair. I'm wearing mine longer than ever and also wear it back in a pony tail much of the time. I've never had hair this long, and I understand why many people would look at me and say "Why doesn't she do something with her hair?"  Well, I do do many, many things to my hair, and always have, but it's getting harder to tame it, and right now this suits my mood.

It's not like I've given up.....I diet, excercise, keep interested in clothing, makeup, to an extreme, I sometimes think, but right now, I'm just letting my hair be long, and even though it may not be the most flattering, it's what I want to do.  Can't explain it more than that.

I say, leave your mother alone.  It sounds like she looks good, and interesting.  Also, I wouldn't risk the chance of hurting her feelings for the world.  Not to be maudlin, but I  think of when I used to be critical of my mom, and believe me, if I could take any of those words back, I would, in a heartbeat.  I'd give anything to see her beautiful (to me ) imperfections, just one more time.

Let it go, it's just really not important at all.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

Her hair is all one layer, no bangs - it is just past her shoulders and almost as wide.  If humid, ugh!  When I say Rosanna (as her brothers now call her) I mean it seriously!

Thinning shears have always been a friend of my mother's and mine.  When she wore her hair shorter sort of like Paula Dean's style the thinning shears were a must.  She could wear that style with little to no effort.

@Abrowneyegirl When I cut my hair to collarbone I had to relearn styling it as the volume was a lot more than I was used to since it had been waist to hip for years. At shoulder length you're very limited on updos, although I could do a French twist. She'll figure it out. It's going to probably be a year before the length is such that she'll get some weight to the volume though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl   It is none of your business how your Mom wants to wear her hair.  Does she tell how to wear your hair? Leave her alone.