Honored Contributor

Re: Offer advice or leave it be?

I say let her be, when and if it bothers her, she will get it cut.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

I mean this very kindly, but you need to leave her be. Everyone has the right to choose their own hairstyle. If your mom was not well and needed someone's help, that would be different. But she has the right to choose her own look, even if you do not like it. I would bet this is just a phase she is going through and she will grow tired of it soon enough. But even if she doesn't, it's up to her. It's her hair.

BTW, I do not love my mom's hairstyle either. She tends to get it permed quite tightly and I find it rather unattractive. She has a pretty face and looks much younger than her 86 years but I do not care for her hair. But I have never said so. She has told me many times how she loves her hair permed like that and that's all that matters. It's not my choice to make.

Honored Contributor

If you have an open relationship with her, why not say something.  Mom, have you considered doing xyz to your hair.  If she says no I'm growing it, don't bring it up again unless asked for an opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dawnie wrote:

I agree with Roxxy.  Say nothing.  I am almost 70, have long hair in a ponytail.  That's how I roll.  If she wishes to do the same it's her hair and her decision!   I am respectful of elders and their personal decisions unless they ask for my advice. 

Rock on!

Not understanding wht the OP is so consumed with mom's hair.

Honored Contributor

My cousin has the curliest , thickest hair I have ever seen. She tried it cut - it was awful and unmanageable - she wears it long then pulls it into a bun. She gets some escaped curls around her face and it is cute as can be.

Leave your poor Mom alone. 

And BTW - I take offense at you asking at what age women give up - I don't intend to EVER "give up".  Heck - some women gave up in their teens. 

Esteemed Contributor

YOu have already made your opinion of your mother's hair style clear without coming right out and telling her.  YOu have stated that you have brought photographs of different styles and given her your opinion when she said she wanted to grow it out.  BElieve me she knows what you think and doesn't care so leave her be.

Respected Contributor

it's her hair not yours.  you should support her decision rather than trying to make her over the way you want her to.

Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

I don't comment on my moms hair. Her choice of hairstyles has never matched mine, ever. It's her hair and she can do what she wants with it. 

This made me smile.  Yes, both my mother and I will both admit our styles are completely different, always have been and it is great!  

I guess I just not used to seeing my own mother look so disheveled.  It saddens me.....  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@AbrowneyegirlSounds as if you've already tried and in a good way -  with pictures.   Your mother has rejected those choices.

I have 5 years on your mother and like almost nothing better than to go for my monthly cut, color, and style.  But that's me, and I'd say unless you're fearful that your mom is making really serious decisions that are damaging to her health, you should back off and see what happens.  It's only hair and when it grows out, maybe she won't even like it and will ask you for those pictures!!  Be there for her -    being 70 and healthy is not old.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Say nothing. For whatever HER reasons, she has chosen to style her hair this way. It's her choice.

IF she asks you for your opinion, THEN you can tell what you think because... she asked. Otherwise, none of your concern.

BTW, 70 is not old. At least, not in my world. My MIL is 81 and does more than most of the people half her age; she would be angry is anyone EVER told her she should do this or that. She's fully capable of making her own choices, thank you very much (and she says it EXACTLY like that).  Unless your mom is so feeble that she can't think or do anything for herself, there's no reason to interfere with her choices.